·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I realize that my hesitation to participate in the reservation program
(signed up in mid July) will mean that I will most likely not get a 2008 smart
in 2008. But given that Canada will also be getting the 451 in 2008 (they are,
right?) and that essentially the same model is for sale in the US, how hard
will it be to import a Canadian 451 into the US?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Options

You might want to weigh these two options:
  1. To legally buy a smart 451 in Canada and import it to the US, you would either need a letter from the manufacturer stating that it meets US emissions and safety standards (which obviously it should, but getting said letter might be tough), or you could pay a Registered Importer to certify the car (more money and hassle). Bear in mind that the smart already costs more in Canada, even after differences in specs are taken into account.
  2. There are bound to be some new US smarts on eBay shortly after deliveries start. You will no doubt pay a premium, but maybe no more than the additional cost of the Canadian model.
Might be worth seeing how things shake out early in 2008 before committing to one option versus the other.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Mercedes of San Francisco said there will probably be some fall out from the 5000 pre-ordered cars now in the works. If you are $hrewed you may be able to locate one. Otherwise wait in line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not too mention the differences now between the Canadian dollar and the US dollar, and the US and Canadian pricing........ you will be better off getting one in the US......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback.

I didn't know that MB of San Francisco was to be a smart dealership ... and I live in San Francisco :D

I took the test drive at that dealership, but the Mercedes people were not very
involved in the whole thing there. The smart people had their trailer set up in one of the parking lots out back .... away from the showroom and shiny new
benzes :)

I will have to keep a very open line of communication with them to improve my
chances of finagling a car from them in 2008

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I will have to keep a very open line of communication with them to improve my chances of finagling a car from them in 2008
The smart center is on the second floor above the M-D dealership. There's a video of its open house. Stop by with a camera and tell us what you see.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check out the canadian pricing on their site first. With weak US$ and higher Canadian list price you probably don't want to buy the Canadian version and not to mention the troubles you have to go through and the extra money that you have to spend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts