Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many were asked this. Bare with a newbie. I'm looking to buy a 453 ED 2016 and or newer. What are these cars worth these days? I know depends on trim levels, condition....., so something at least a passion. Like to find heated seats and wheel as I live in NE. Color matters and of course a good deal as many issues come with it. Like finding someone to work on them and parts are getting a shorter list. I do work on my own cars, so not a really big deal. I see dealer prices from 9k and up. So I'm asking current owners what you all think about good prices to buy one at. Again I know one needs to look at the car, but give me good condition cars' opinions. Thanks all.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I don't think smart offered a heated steering wheel, seats yes. Other than that tread VERY carefully around a smart EV. Read Every Post on this forum pertaining to electric smarts.
Cold weather range, batteries bricking. If you get a good one I understand they can be a lot of fun. But if you get one with problems you could end up with a sled and you will be on your own, no new replacement batteries or very hard to get $10,000 or a pop. Mercedes will be of help.

CarMax has made the decision
not to buy or sell smart EV's. Why?

This may interest you
Malfunction and Plug alternating msg | Smart Car of America Forum
Malfunction and Plug alternating msg
Or
Smart ED Bricking - Time for a Class Action Lawsuit?

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
321 Posts
The selling of the 453 model of electric smart cars started in the US with the 2017 model. (per Smart Fortwo - Wikipedia)
If have seen a 2016 453 ED, it may not have originated to be sold in the US. Or it probably is a 451, which looks entirely different.

The 453's do not have the bricking issue like the 451's sometimes have.

The later the model you buy (like getting a 2018 or 2019), the longer the warranty remains on the car, so that may be an important piece of mind, especially if you are near a MB dealer who supports and fixes smarts.

I am fortunate to have a dealer less than 25 miles away (in CT), since I have a 2017 model, my warranty ends next year (2021),
I've had it since last year, and have 0 issues with it.

I am still delighted that I bought it, even though the cost was considerably more than the 2014-2016 451's that were for sale, so if you can afford it, I would recommend skipping the 451's and going with a 453.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the USA and have a 2018 with the climate package which adds the heated steering wheel in my Prime Coupe.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,913 Posts
Believe that the Cold Weather Package also included door insulation.

Very rare option with many being delivered to California as the CARB dumping ground?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure if all the 453 EDs sold in Canada came with the "cold weather package" by default, but every one I looked at had the heated seats/steering wheel combo. I just pulled the door panel off of mine recently and there's definitely a silvered insulation/weather coating in there. None in the interior "B" pillar/trunk panels though so not sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts