Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking on buying a car for parts, but wanna know if I have to register it like a functioning car or what is the process to follow.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If the vehicle is declared as:

'parts only'
'non-rebuildable'
'non-repairable'
'scrapped'
'destroyed'

You will not need to register it for road use. You will only need a title to verify ownership in most state.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the vehicle is declared as:

'parts only'
'non-rebuildable'
'non-repairable'
'scrapped'
'destroyed'

You will not need to register it for road use. You will only need a title to verify ownership in most state.
The seller says it has a blown head gasket, I guess if he isn't fixing it it's because something is wrong with it. And who has to declare it as all options of above?

·
Registered
472 Posts
The declaration would come from an insurance company or salvage yard that took ownership. If you are buying the car from a private individual, it would not have a salvage title. You can buy the car, use it for parts, but never register it. You only need to register the car if it's to be put back on the road again.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Here in California we have a Planned Non Operational (PNO) option for $20 I believe. Can't be driven on public roads...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
As long as you have either the title or bill of sale your ok.
I did the same thing when I bought a 04 rx8 for the drivetrain and electrical for my Miata since I’m doing a rotory engine swap in it.
Same thing if buying a smart for parts(which I would like to do myself for some spare parts for mine)

·
Registered
580 Posts
As long as you get the title, you should be good. Most junkyards will want it if you decide to send the carcass to a wrecking yard later. Or you can do like they do in Puerto Rico - dump it on the side of the road and set fire to it...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I did this just last year, when you transfer the title, just don't get plates. Some states have a checkbox or the like for stating that the vehicle is non-operable, will not operate on roads, or the like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts