Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. This is my first post. I am really considering buying a new Smart Passion Coupe but I am not sold yet. I am going on vacation with my GF to Europe and i rented guess what car? A Smart. So I get to test drive it for 15 days.I will be traveling with a 24" Suitcase, a 29" suitcase and maybe a small 20-22" suitcase. Will this fit on a Smart? Also I will be driving a lot o highway miles,how is it? Any diffrence between the Us smart and the Europe smart? Thanks everybody in advance for your replies... Please I reIally need to know about my luggage situation.....:)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

You can see our weeklong beach luggage, which sounds similar to your proposed setup, in my ownership video at about 6 min 30 secs into the video:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You rfernatt!!!

Very nice and helpful video. That is pretty much my luggage setup,amazing how much room is back there and you still had room for more items. Now is the Europe Smart any different from te US Smart?

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
The ride is going to be the same. The smart does great on the highway. It's also easy to park which will come in handy in Europe. Just remember that the transmission really is a manual even though it does all the clutch work and can do all the shifting for you if you want.
Enjoy your trip and the smart you are renting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ride is going to be the same. The smart does great on the highway. It's also easy to park which will come in handy in Europe. Just remember that the transmission really is a manual even though it does all the clutch work and can do all the shifting for you if you want.
Enjoy your trip and the smart you are renting.
Thanks for the info.I can drive Manual,but my GF cannot so the Auto/Manual function is great.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Can't say for the latest models, but the 208-2011 had a port for the aux which is like an earphone plug which you need a cable for, and you control the MP3 player (or ??) at the plug in unit, not the radio. this is on the smart radio. if it has an aftermarket radio, it could be different.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
There is a usb input on the current models - don't think it's compatible with the iPhone plug/cables...:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
One of the big differences is that the Gearshift does not have a parking pawl to lock the wheels. That is a USA thing. Park with the shifter in reverse and put on the Parking Brake or emergency Brake. Same thing. The speedo will be in kilometers. I can't think of much else, having never driven a Euro version smart. If it is a Brabus edition, it will have a turbo and significantly more get up and go.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
There is a usb input on the current models - don't think it's compatible with the iPhone plug/cables...:confused:
That's because the smart was NOT made by APPLE! and therefore is not APPLE compatible! :p UNless it has the Iphone KIT which costs MUCHO DENARO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Smart Car Seems Big Enough To Me...

Yeah it is starting to look big enough for me too. Am excited I will get to drive one for 15 days in Europe before making my final decision into buying one. Another question: Are the Audi style Daytime driving lights an option or stock?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They have both inputs, in the glove box (which may not have a door on the one you rent.) :)
So you guys think the rental in Europe will be the basic Pure with manual windows and locks,no radio., etc... Lol i hope not i will be doing a lot of Highway driving hours and will be very bored without a radio.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What does the rental car company show? :)
Not any info other than Automatic transmission,2 passenger(Duh) and the company is Sixt and I am picking up the car at Madrid Airport Spain. Usually rentals have mid level trims in the US...

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I wish you better luck than I had in my 2005 Trip to Germany. I had a smart "Reserved", but when I arrived, they did not have any available :(

I was told that they only had a few smarts and "The Americans always have them out".

I ended up with a very similar vehicle...A Turbo Diesel Mercedes Wagon with a 6 speed manual transmission ! :rolleyes: (It was dissappointing not to drive a smart, but I was amazed at how much fun the wagon was with a manual trans !! I was able to hang the tail out on turning circles ! :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts