Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to acquire a used 2013 ED. It is for sale at a non-Smart dealer. What should be my concerns? It is a 2013 with about 7,500 miles. How do I find out about the status of the battery protection plan from Smart?

Ron

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
I have an opportunity to acquire a used 2013 ED. It is for sale at a non-Smart dealer. How do I find out about the status of the battery protection plan from Smart?
Easy peazy, contact MBFS or M-B Battery Assurance (866.700.9853) with the VIN #.

A word of caution - if the ED has gone through auction is now in the hands of a non M-B dealer the folks at BAP may not be in a position to truly render an opinion.

This can be a $5,000 slippery slope . . .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used or New ED

Got it on the caution. The car is offered by a Lexus dealer. The only reason I'm considering it is that it is a cabrio. Any idea when the 453 ED will be released for sale? Our current car lease is up in August.

On a related topic, a Smart dealer near here has a new 2014 ED cabrio for sale. Any cautions there?

Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
The only reason I'm considering it is that it is a cabrio. Any idea when the 453 ED will be released for sale?
Appears to be a nice off-lease smart cabrio from OR that was sold at MBFS auction. Nicely equipped smart with navi/surround. Great "asking" price if it is for the ED cabrio complete and includes 2 key fobs?

I would require that the Lexus dealer bill of sale disclose that sale is for vehicle "complete" - sled+battery.

New ED cabrio in smart inventory, only cautions hang on to your wallet. While as a 2014 it should be discounted, inventories are down as we await definitive information regarding the specs and release date of the ALL-NEW 2017 453 ED?

Note, the 2013 pre-owned ED with low miles will be at a far friendlier price that the new 2014.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pre-Owned ED

So I called MBFS and gave them the VIN. They told me that the vehicle was "inactive", and therefore not eligible for the battery assurance plan. She told me that the battery warranty was the same as the vehicle (4 yrs., 50K miles). I thought the battery warranty was longer than that???

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
So I called MBFS and gave them the VIN. She told me that the battery warranty was the same as the vehicle (4 yrs., 50K miles). I thought the battery warranty was longer than that???
I believe that she may be correct BUT you might want to check with the powers that be in California (CARB) as I believe that they may require a longer battery pack warranty? :shrug:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

·
Registered
665 Posts
That 2014 ED, while still being 'new' is in fact three years old. There were 15 and 16 models in Electric Drive so the price for it might be very reasonable if the dealer really wants to move it. I would try for that one first and see what the best deal you can get on it and what warranty they are willing to provide as an inducement.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
That 2014 ED, while still being 'new' is in fact three years old. There were 15 and 16 models in Electric Drive so the price for it might be very reasonable if the dealer really wants to move it. I would try for that one first and see what the best deal you can get on it and what warranty they are willing to provide as an inducement.
Absolutely check on the new 2014. That's what I did about nine months ago. My new 2014 had been sitting on the dealer lot for a year and I said that I wasn't going to buy a year old car with no discount when I could get a new 2015 for the same price. So they knocked $5K off the price and USAA discount gave me another $2800, so my out the door price was $20,000. Then with the $7500 federal tax credit, I'm under $13K. You will also get the full four year new car warranty and doesn't CA give you something on top of all of that?

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just bought a 2013 ED with 18,700. The deal was too good to pass up. It's only been a little over a week but so far, it's been awesome. Last night, I gave it a good full charge. Today, I put 61.8 miles on it and the computer said I still had 8 to go. It got down to 10% and was still running. So I'd say it's OK. We'll see how it does long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
I probably bought one of the first off-lease ED Cabrios for sale. Mine had the battery lease and I chose to keep it up. I don't think MB has any method to be able to actually force you back into the lease, but no one has tested the theory yet.

I love my car. almost 6k miles into ownership (took possession on April 4). As far as we know I own the only convertible in North Carolina that's all electric. I'm tempted to pick up another one.

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
I don't think MB has any method to be able to actually force you back into the lease, but no one has tested the theory yet.
The BAP (battery rental) is a signed contract between the original owner and MBFS - breach that and expect a rather ugly legal battle followed by a hit to your Credit Report!

IF the new owner contacts MBFS they may have the option of buying ($5,000) out the battery or (if it hasn't lapsed) continuing with BAP.

Alternatively, MBFS can repossess THEIR BATTERY and then all you have is a Fred Flintstone style sled.

But as with all things smart, ED and BAP - YMMV . . . :shrug:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a used ED that had the BAP. So far I have not had any notification from the dealership or MB that I'm required to pay any of it now. My co-worker did the same.

I called the BAP hotline and gave them my VIN to verify the plan was on there, and asked what's next? The person on the phone did not seem to know, or was misinformed whether or not I was required to pay for the BAP. He kept telling me the benefits, and I said, "Ok, but is this required?" ... he couldn't say. He said he would call me back once he know and he said he'd send me info about the BAP. I never received a follow up and that was 2 months ago. /shrug...

I'm guessing MB said this was too much hassle and just didn't transfer them. If I had to pay $80/mo on top of the price I paid for this car, It wouldn't have been such a stellar deal, but I would've been fine since I had peace of mind. Either way, I can't imagine someone coming and telling me "We own your battery" considering the legal implications and the dealer I bought my car from would end up footing the bill because I did not sign a thing about it when I bought the car (they did not even mention the BAP or tell me such a plan existed at the time).

·
Registered
471 Posts
When I was looking for a used one, a lot of the listings would say "buyer must assume BAP". Like you said, adding $80 a month when I'm not even paying that much is gas for my Honda Insight in a month just wasn't appealing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts