Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Beth and this is my first post! I'm interested in buying (actually loaning) an electric Cabrio. I live in Florida (not a CARB state), and the electric vehicles are not sold here. The local dealerships are pretty limited on the information and don't seem super willing to help.
1. Is it possible to buy one out of state and have it shipped?
2. Does any one have any CARB state dealerships they recommend for the ED's?
3. Also, what are everyone's thoughts on getting a current electric cab (I think it's a 2015 model) vs waiting on the new 2017's?

Thanks!
Beth

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
1. Is it possible to buy one out of state and have it shipped?
2. Does any one have any CARB state dealerships they recommend for the ED's?
3. Also, what are everyone's thoughts on getting a current electric cab (I think it's a 2015 model) vs waiting on the new 2017's?
Beth, WELCOME to SCoA!

1. Yes - been there done that CA shipped to NC. Note, ED cabrios are in short supply and may not be part of the initial 2017 ED 453 rollout?
2. Yes - but you may want to look on cars.com at some of the off lease "resales" that are hitting the market. Some really good buys but be careful as often the sale is sled only and does not include the battery which may be a rental.
3. Really depends on your range need - MY17 will be a definite upgrade in vehicle, range and on board charger. Expect some bargains on 451s but little "dealing" at the initial release of the 2017. Currently in a MY15 ED lease and my timing was to hopefully move "up" to an ALL NEW 453 at the end of 36 months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! How do you like the my15? I've driven a gas 2016 coupe (only thing at our dealership) but I haven't gotten into anything before that. I hear the inside is noticeably smaller bc of the change in width?
Which dealership did you use to buy in CA? Was there any hassle with shipping? Are you able to get the car/battery/etc serviced in your own state?
Thanks!
Beth

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
Thanks! How do you like the my15? I've driven a gas 2016 coupe (only thing at our dealership) but I haven't gotten into anything before that. I hear the inside is noticeably smaller bc of the change in width?
Which dealership did you use to buy in CA? Was there any hassle with shipping? Are you able to get the car/battery/etc serviced in your own state?
Please PM me if you would like CA smart Center info.

I haven't driven a MY16 coupe but have owned an ICE cabrio since 08. Have sat in a MY16 and would suggest that the changes are HUGE! The width is noticeably wider especially if you have broad shoulders.

Understand that your lease/purchase will be DONE before YOU own/insure it and can ship it off the selling dealer's lot. "Any hassle with shipping" is on YOU (additional cost). Title transfer is on YOU too and will vary from state to state.

Service - it's under warranty @ any "local" smart Center. Or, the smart Center who couldn't/wouldn't sell me an ED is now doing my service . . .

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Also, what are everyone's thoughts on getting a current electric cab (I think it's a 2015 model) vs waiting on the new 2017's?

Wait for the '17 ED Cabrio, arriving in spring 2017. That's likely going to be my next ca, too.

Also, I thought I heard somewhere that smart plans to extend ED sales to some/all non-CARB states. (Someone please confirm or deny that rumor.)

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Welcome and good luck Beth. A year ago I bought a 2014 EV from VA and had it shipped to me in NC. No issues and the salesman was fantastic to deal with. I'd buy from him again in a second. Unfortunately for you, they have no electric cabs in stock.

I would also highly recommend my "local" dealer in Cary, NC. Even though they are 160 miles away, they are my local dealer. You can try touching base with the brand manager there, Cherie. She is great to work with and may be able to give you some tips/help even though they have none in stock either.

Here is a god site to scour dealer inventories for what you want.

http://www.smartcentervirginiabeach.com/

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hello Beth: I would get in touch with Kamal Peterson @ Penske-smart West Covina. He is the Brand Manager & knowledgeable expert on all things
Smart. His # is (626) 430-3730. His e-mail is: [email protected]. He has experience with out of state sales.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts