Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm in the process of buying wheels for my smart, and I had a few questions that i'd like to clear up before i order the wheels.

I am looking to buy some Lenso BSX wheels (BBS RS reps) and you can order them undrilled blanks, the company I'm ordering them from will drill them for me in the 3x112 bolt pattern.
I'm looking at picking up the 16x7.5 wheels for the front, they come in a +25 offset. From what I've read here on here guys are running the Team Dynamics wheel with a 5mm spacer, which means a +27 offset wheel would fit.
The company I'm ordering them from can shave 2mm off the hub mounting surface for me, which should make the wheel a perfect fit in theory.

Next question is the rear wheels... I can get 16x9 +20 offset....:D I know CCW wheels put a 16x9.5 +26 on the back of a smart, but to be honest I felt the rear wheels had too much "poke" (lip sticking out past the fender) and I wanna stay inside or flush to the fender. again I can have the hub pad shaved to some extent to raise the offset if needed, and I'd love to run a staggered setup, but I guess I can go with a squared setup with the 16x7.5's if needed.

My main concern is the rear wheels, I'm pretty confident the fronts will work but i'm nervous about the 16x9.... any advice would be awesome, especially anyone who has actually measured how much space is available out back.. I would measure myself but I dont have a garage and its winter in Colorado...

Man I wish we had a 4x100 pattern, would make my life so much easier

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have similar looking wheels on my Crown Victoria. They look nice but they are a real pain to clean. You may want to think about this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
SWEET looking wheels!! Wish I could help on your ? I just went with Genius 17" on mine and called it a day. How much are these wheels gonna cost, I might have to rethink my purchase.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I run Team Dynamic 7.5" wheels all the way around in the summer with 215 tires. The S-Drive tires are just about flush with the fender. Have 5mm spacers in the front to clear the suspension.

I would not put any more tire under the car unless you are adding a turbo for more performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SWEET looking wheels!! Wish I could help on your ? I just went with Genius 17" on mine and called it a day. How much are these wheels gonna cost, I might have to rethink my purchase.
I'm not 100% sure what the total price will be, I'm guessing around a grand with the extra machining. I really like the genius wheel design, but I was disappointed with how much they weigh, I could get the stock steel wheels rebarreled to 16 inches+widened and they would weigh the same... And with only 70hp the lighter the wheels are the better

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run Team Dynamic 7.5" wheels all the way around in the summer with 215 tires. The S-Drive tires are just about flush with the fender. Have 5mm spacers in the front to clear the suspension.

I would not put any more tire under the car unless you are adding a turbo for more performance.
I would like to turbo charge it eventually but I just got this smart new a few months ago and I don't wanna do anything that will void the warranty till it runs out so for now just gonna work on wheels, suspension and stereo :)

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I would like to turbo charge it eventually but I just got this smart new a few months ago and I don't wanna do anything that will void the warranty till it runs out so for now just gonna work on wheels, suspension and stereo :)

I had a friend who bought a brand new 1990 Chevy truck, 1/2 ton short bed. Drove it two weeks and pulled it all apart. Put in a cam, 4 weber intake and chromed everything underneath. I just remember being at his house watching him pound out the hot rivets holding the front leaf spring mount for the rear axle with a punch and sledge hammer. Literally inches away from the rear cab corner. I thought he was nuts. He ended up winning a bunch of shows with that truck then sold it to buy his drag car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts