Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2009 Passion Cabriolet
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early in any drive there is a buzzing sound from the left front door panel (or maybe the floor at the "bulkhead")
It is quite loud and usually lasts a minute or two.
I removed the speaker (gorilla style) and tested for the sound..... there it was again.
I looked under the floor mat and found a bare wire - probably from a previous rear speaker installation, wrapped it and tested for the sound... there it was again.
I swear it is not static but rather an electronic hum.
I promise I have checked the entire forum and cannot find a reference to this buzzing sound.
I need fresh ideas to help track this down. Thanks

· Registered
2009 Passion Cabriolet
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the car’s short wheelbase, sometimes it’s difficult to pinpoint where sounds are coming from. Is it possible that the sound is from the air injection system?
OK... point taken... I'm having trouble pinpointing the source of the sound.
Why would the air injection system buzz for only a minute or two after 2-3 miles of driving and then stop for the rest of the ride only to return the next time I drove the little bugger?

· Administrator
30,034 Posts
If the car is cold, the secondary air injection system pumps air into the catalytic converter to help it burn exhaust gases. Once the engine is warm it doesn't need to add air. If you hear the sound after starting with a warm engine it's not the secondary air injection. :)

· Registered
2009 Passion Cabriolet
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the car is cold, the secondary air injection system pumps air into the catalytic converter to help it burn exhaust gases. Once the engine is warm it doesn't need to add air. If you hear the sound after starting with a warm engine it's not the secondary air injection. :)
Thank you. It's an awful noise... does it mean something is failing or is that the normal sound for the air injection system? BTW - you are correct, I now recall it only happens with a cold engine. My recall ability is limited (to quote the wife) but I'll definitely factor this in to my pursuit.

· Registered
2009 Passion Cabriolet
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Secondary air pumps in our Smarts are somewhat prone to internal corrosion that can make them noisy. When working properly, they have what I can only describe as a “vacuum cleaner” like sound. It’s kind of a whirring noise.
Wow... I almost hope this is not normal and I can replace it, With all the other noises it's impossible to hold a conversation while the vacuum cleaner is running.

· Registered
2009 Passion Cabriolet
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Underneath the black triangle on the door panel. There is a little screw that might have come undone. That happen to me, many moons ago. Made a buzzing noise. The only
real way of diagnosing a a noise. Is to provide a sound clip please. otherwise, it’s just a big guessing game, on this forum.
1. Can't figure out how to remove black triangle.... just pry it off?

2. Buzzing sound recording: I have it as an m4a . How do I attach it to this forum as it is not an approved format?

· Registered
2009 Passion Cabriolet
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The noise was back today. This may be turning into an audio problem. I happened to find a "stand by" button on the Kenwood after market installed by the PO. The noise immediately stopped when I put the stereo in "stand by" mode. I have no idea what the stand by mode is as there is no apparent change to the function of the navigation or CD player.

The next test is to confirm today's observation and research the stand by mode.

· Registered
2 Posts
Early in any drive there is a buzzing sound from the left front door panel (or maybe the floor at the "bulkhead")
It is quite loud and usually lasts a minute or two.
I removed the speaker (gorilla style) and tested for the sound..... there it was again.
I looked under the floor mat and found a bare wire - probably from a previous rear speaker installation, wrapped it and tested for the sound... there it was again.
I swear it is not static but rather an electronic hum.
I promise I have checked the entire forum and cannot find a reference to this buzzing sound.
I need fresh ideas to help track this down. Thanks
If you have cell phone charging try unplugging it from socket. See if that makes it go away

· Registered
2009 Passion Cabriolet
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i took the speaker out and unplugged the cell phone charger.... no difference nor change, then I discovered a "standby" button on the stereo. Noise stopped.
Put in a new speaker and noise returned to be stopped by the standby button.

I'm installing a new stereo today but I wonder if a PO has hidden a tweeter somewhere in the door.

For those of you with nothing to do until Yellowstone comes back, I'll keep you updated.

· Registered
2009 Passion Cabriolet
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So... an entire new stereo system: Pioneer DMH-W2770NEX with wireless Carplay and new speakers. 100 ft from the installation shop and the buzzing is back. It's loud, it's brief and it's random once per outing.

Again, I appeal to anyone who can help me post the recording. I have it in m4v as a video on my phone and as a WAV audio recording but this forum will not allow me to post it. Do I need to open a youtube account and post it there?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts