Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to check the status of my overnight charge on my ED this morning and when I fired up the app on my phone was greeted with this message:

"Sundown Notification"

"Dear user, due to a technical changeover by your mobile provider, we are not offering this service any longer. Your application related data will be deleted from our systems. You will be able to use your login for Mercedes me services. Thank you for your understanding."

My understanding? My understanding is that smart is making it harder and harder to like the brand, like the service and like the vehicle. A "technical changeover" by my mobile provider? I call BS. It's just data streaming over the Internet. I notice no provider name was given -- this is simply another pull-back from smart. Bah!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have been getting this same notification for a few days.

BUT, if you click on the "OK" button, it still works just as it always has?
Tells me state of charge, whether charging or not, range estimate, and time to full charge.
yada, yada, yada.

So, aside from this annoying pop-up, what's the difference?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a "sundown" (I'd use "sunset," but that's probably a German translation) notification. Meaning that the app is going away. In other words, some day soon, your app is just going to stop working.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,767 Posts
"Dear user, due to a technical changeover by your mobile provider, we are not offering this service any longer. Your application related data will be deleted from our systems. You will be able to use your login for Mercedes me services. Thank you for your understanding."
Interesting deflection on the part of Daimler - placing THE BLAME on YOUR MOBILE PROVIDER.

They remain Teflon coated in all things smart . . .

:bullsht:

·
17,479 Posts
Erm, so I hope the 453 ED uses a more future-proof radio? Well then again, MB is hosting the data so it doesn’t really matter how long a technology holds out. MB can turn off the lights when they get bored with the service.

Reactions: Jo e Lefors

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Bring me Back smart app, died, on my iPhone years ago. Smart didn’t care enough, to update the app. To run on the newer, OS, from Apple.

·
17,479 Posts
There was a cool app a few years ago called “smart Get Lost” that was on the UK app stores for iOS and Android. It was an exploration app that sent you on randomly generated adventures.

Basically, if I wanted to go on a date with someone, I’d plug in some data into the app (like distance you’re willing to drive, review ratings, etc) and the app would take you on an adventure based on a random generator. It wouldn’t even tell you where you were going so it was a surprise. When I had the app, it would take me to a State Park, then end the adventure at some local restaurant with a 5 star rating. It was awesome for dating. Every adventure was different, I never went to the same place more than once.

However, you couldn’t get the app in the US without changing the region on your phone to load the prospective app store, downloading it, then changing it back to the US. It worked just fine in the US with all features despite being developed and designed for the UK. Why the US never saw this app is beyond me. :shrug:

Here’s a blog post about it.
http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2011/12/app_of_the_day_smart_app.html

Sadly it’s been deleted from the App Store. I guess the developer didn’t care too much to update the app to 64bit.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i have the latest OS on my I-phone and the ap still works for now

I was hoping it was ending because the carriers were ending 2G

But T-Mobile is not ending 2G. So I tried their service and got the same message

·
Registered
515 Posts
It's not about your service but rather the 2G "connectivity" of the 451 smart ED. :shrug:
I understand, previous poster stated the AP would not work with newer OS, and it does with mine. Hoping to find 2G source that would allow communications.
But if MB shuts it down, it does not matter.

·
17,479 Posts
I understand, previous poster stated the AP would not work with newer OS, and it does with mine. Hoping to find 2G source that would allow communications.
But if MB shuts it down, it does not matter.
I was talking about a different app. :) None of smart’s other 451 apps were developed for 64bit iOS, so once you hit iOS 11 it’s game over (32bit support dropped). So even if I found a copy of that very rare “Get Lost” app, I’d only be able to have it on an older iPhone in my collection.

But yeah, it really doesn’t matter if your carrier supports 2G or not. If MB wants to turn off the lights or the carrier for the ED’s 2G radio no longer supports it you’re dead in the water.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,767 Posts
Back in 2013 when smart was "marketing" the convenience of ED "connectivity" the fine print read something like - provided free to first-time buyer for a limited time of not more than 3 years from the date of vehicle sale or lease unless terminated earlier.

There was also some less than clear commentary that suggested an annual subscription might then be available?

With some, getting a VVC from the selling smart Center proved futile. Others were concerned that Daimler/smart was mining their data?

At the end of the day 2017 we are beyond 3 years (sundown?), it was FREE and like so many things smart - Daimler has control and is pulling the plug on what for many of us was a valuable tool.

Sad . . .

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Back in 2013 when smart was "marketing" the convenience of ED "connectivity" the fine print read something like - provided free to first-time buyer for a limited time of not more than 3 years from the date of vehicle sale or lease unless terminated earlier.

There was also some less than clear commentary that suggested an annual subscription might then be available?

With some, getting a VVC from the selling smart Center proved futile. Others were concerned that Daimler/smart was mining their data?

At the end of the day 2017 we are beyond 3 years (sundown?), it was FREE and like so many things smart - Daimler has control and is pulling the plug on what for many of us was a valuable tool.

Sad . . .
I purchased my 14 Smart last Saturday 12/9/17 from a 3rd party dealer. Went into Mercedes today to have somewhat of a buyer's inspection done and asked for the VVC and got it without issue or questions. But I am seeing the same thing in the login session "Sundown Notification."

$ .02 from H20

1 - 19 of 19 Posts