Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning to attend the show? I'm considering it, would appreciate some info from locals on transportation from the airport(s), places to stay, restaurants, etc. - might as well make a trip out of it. Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Anyone planning to attend the show? I'm considering it, would appreciate some info from locals on transportation from the airport(s), places to stay, restaurants, etc. - might as well make a trip out of it. Thanks in advance! :)
I will most certainly be there, but I will drive in and drive out same-day. No insight on lodging from me. If anything more, I'd stay with a relative in her 'city apartment.

The Javits Convention Center, 2 years ago, led me to a parking garage that closed and packed up what looked like YEARS prior to my arrival - so I haven't looked at their parking recommendations since.

Right off Time Square, there is a pizza place which claims they are "the official pizza of the Yankees". Heck of a deal last time I remember, and fantastic food.

All I know is I go (practically) late as I can, because they hold back the launch of some vehicles later in the week. The longer it goes on, the more cars get unveiled and put on the floor.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I hadn't considered it before now, but... Maybe. If the 453 unveiling is on one of the weekends, then I will do my best to try and be there...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"Anyone planning to attend the show? I'm considering it, would appreciate some info from locals on transportation from the airport(s), places to stay, restaurants, etc. - might as well make a trip out of it."

Yes, we're attending.

We'll be walking over but there is half-price parking for smart cars at ICON garages, you might check that out if you're driving in. either way bring good walking shoes ;-)

while you're here you can pick up the new 100th year anniversary MOSCOT smart drive glasses set. MOSCOT 100 Year Anniversary Collection

there's been a ton of new hotels built the last few years, mostly national chains like Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express. A bunch on and around W 39th street, close by Javits. you can still pay $1000 per night if you want to, but there are more reasonably priced options around now, new construction as well as management take-overs of existing properties.

Cabs to/from airports: NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission - RATE OF FARE

restaurants, everything you can possibly imagine and some you probably cannot. you generally choose by neighborhood as much as by cuisine. be warned that everyday NYC looks more and more like a strip mall. plan on spending $5 - $500 per meal.

if you're into vegetarian I can recommend some. college neighborhoods are usually good for cheap eats, but not like years past (see strip mall reference...)

April should hopefully be warm enough for a nice trip. we're looking forward to seeing the 453!

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
John...I hope you are not going to miss the April fools rally since you usually are in charge of it. That unfortunately will be the last weekend of the show. We are going straight to NYC from the rally but won't get there in time for the show.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts