Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,675 Posts
Do we know if they carry a spare tire?
Which spare, small front or larger rear? :shrug:

Bear in mind that in the interest of weight reduction, space and higher MPG figures smart is not the only car being sold today without a spare . . .

Best bet in town, 453 smart will NOT have a spare.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Unless the final gearing is way different and all you do is cruise on the freeway in flat terrain, I would be beyond skeptical that the automatic could return better mileage than i can get with the manual. The auto simply makes too many poor decisions with regart to maximizing mpg. The human brain is much more sophisticated... in most cases.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If ratios are modified to make best use of the 6 speeds, I, too, think MPG for the "auto" will be near or as good as the 5 speed stick. The 6th gear should reduce RPMs a little at Interstate speeds resulting in higher cruising MPGs.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I guess if you want to run around in manual mode you might could do alright. I don't have that option in my fit and regret not having gotten the manual -- Even my wife was saying the same thing! Any time the auto makes decisions it will make them worse than you do.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
If ratios are modified to make best use of the 6 speeds, I, too, think MPG for the "auto" will be near or as good as the 5 speed stick. The 6th gear should reduce RPMs a little at Interstate speeds resulting in higher cruising MPGs.
Not necessarily. If the OD 5th in the manual, and OD 6th in the DCT are the same ratio, they should return about the same mpg's. Just because the DCT has a 6th gear, doesn't mean it's "taller" than the 5 speed... The engine will be the same for both transmissions. They can't go too crazy with the OD, or it will be a dog...:)

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Sorry but I just don't care to hold down a clutch pedal in traffic,I ca handle missing out on a few MPG's to go with an automated transmission.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Sorry but I just don't care to hold down a clutch pedal in traffic,I ca handle missing out on a few MPG's to go with an automated transmission.
I refuse to live anywhere that the traffic is bad enough that you can't avoid stop-and-go traffic. I hate it so bad I get up at 5:15 so I can get to work by 6:00 and avoid the whole mess. I leave at 4:30 or 6:30 so that I'm NEVER in it -- I don't need the grief!:bangwall:

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
I'm a little unclear on the new DCT. The 453 has a clutch peddle, right? But, steering wheel paddles are also at least an option? How does this work?

If paddles aren't an option I'm thinking that would be a deal breaker for me. But, jwight said they were.

·
Registered
287 Posts
As I understand it, you can get the manual transmission (and 3rd pedal) OR you can get the "DCT/auto" with paddles...I have not seen a pic with the auto transmission and paddles yet.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
6 gears w/ OD work just fine, ask any 450 owner. Manual transmissions are not a problem in a small car, I can deal with stop and go traffic just fine (So Cal has more than it's share.) A one ton truck with a manual in traffic is another story. I don't like having to turn left with oncoming traffic, The auto clutch is too slow, I'd rather have a manual so I can rev a little higher and get moving quicker to beat the oncoming cars. As it is now, I wait until all traffic is past because I don't feel I can shoot the gap. I'll get a stick if it is an option.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
The auto clutch is too slow, I'd rather have a manual so I can rev a little higher and get moving quicker to beat the oncoming cars. As it is now, I wait until all traffic is past because I don't feel I can shoot the gap. I'll get a stick if it is an option.
Manual mode handles that situation just fine. Often I feel a need to shift to 2nd before the turn is complete and the paddles aren't convenient. Ya just bump the stick up instead. I've never driven a 450 though, so I don't know how well that applies, LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
6 gears w/ OD work just fine, ask any 450 owner. Manual transmissions are not a problem in a small car, I can deal with stop and go traffic just fine (So Cal has more than it's share.) A one ton truck with a manual in traffic is another story. I don't like having to turn left with oncoming traffic, The auto clutch is too slow, I'd rather have a manual so I can rev a little higher and get moving quicker to beat the oncoming cars. As it is now, I wait until all traffic is past because I don't feel I can shoot the gap. I'll get a stick if it is an option.
I NEVER shoot the gap in auto mode. The BB will put the clutch in and kill all acceleration just to scare the karp out of me, just because he can!!! It is a very karpy thing to do, and usually leaves me biting a hole in my seat with a certain sphincter muscle. Screaming like a girl doesn't help either. So I've been well trained to use manual mode and put my foot into it. I am NOT fond of Karp. :D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Not necessarily. If the OD 5th in the manual, and OD 6th in the DCT are the same ratio, they should return about the same mpg's. Just because the DCT has a 6th gear, doesn't mean it's "taller" than the 5 speed... The engine will be the same for both transmissions. They can't go too crazy with the OD, or it will be a dog...:)
Not indicating that 6 the gear should be that tall, just a little bit more so than now for cruising at speed. All the ratios will have been adjusted to meet the characteristics of the new engines.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hopefully, that will be gone with the new DC transmission!

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I refuse to live anywhere that the traffic is bad enough that you can't avoid stop-and-go traffic. I hate it so bad I get up at 5:15 so I can get to work by 6:00 and avoid the whole mess. I leave at 4:30 or 6:30 so that I'm NEVER in it -- I don't need the grief!:bangwall:

All well and good, but not much you can do when they decide to close a road down to one lane, or an accident happens and there you are. When we head up "north" to the cabin, the only way to get there is to drive through the Cities, same as about a thousand other people heading in the same direction. Kind of dumb to change our leaving time to later (due to work) and leave to head home earlier (due to work schedules) so we end up driving 5 hours each way and about a day at the cabin... for some of us traffic is just what it is. sit back, turn up the music and relax... :shrug:

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
All well and good, but not much you can do when they decide to close a road down to one lane, or an accident happens and there you are. When we head up "north" to the cabin, the only way to get there is to drive through the Cities, same as about a thousand other people heading in the same direction. Kind of dumb to change our leaving time to later (due to work) and leave to head home earlier (due to work schedules) so we end up driving 5 hours each way and about a day at the cabin... for some of us traffic is just what it is. sit back, turn up the music and relax... :shrug:
Ouch, and no thanks! I just can't do that automatic transmission or not!

41 - 60 of 112 Posts