Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
No PODS ~ No SALE hmmmmmmm just one on the left hmmmmmmmmmm

Still has the Dion Tube... Means it will still Hobby-Horse when shifting...<:-((
I would certainly miss the pods too, if I buy a 453 (still on the fence). But, I thought the DCT was supposed to do away with the rocking horse action.

·
Super Moderator
28,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Another photo

453 fortwo rear view

:)

Wiper rests on drivers side, handle on glass hatch, only single tow bolt hole, exhaust on drivers side (could change for the US). Also, look at how small the actual transparent portion of the glass hatch is - got to be less rear visibility than the 451.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
A bonus at the front windshield is increased lateral curvature, expanding forward-side field of vision. I determined this last night by overlaying side profiles of the 451 and 453.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It might not be an option actually. In the video that I saw it in, the car didn't have the touchscreen radio, meaning the video must be displayed somewhere else (quite possibly the main LCD in the speedometer?). Plus, isn't there some US legislation saying all new cars have to have a rear view camera by 20XX?

·
Super Moderator
28,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
The legislation was signed in 2008, but has been pushed back to 2015 now - haggling over cost, size of vehicle, etc. As far as I know the large touch screen is how Mercedes displays the backup camera output throughout their line. :)

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I find it very beneficial in my 451 cabrio. I've never driven any other smart. The cabrio has a much smaller rear window though.
After I killed my Matiz (it was a tragic painful death) I Drove a Veloster (or however you spell that). That car had the worst visibility of any vehicle I've ever driven. It had a backup camera which was virtually necessary as you really can't see out of the car. I hated it. I'd never buy a car with such horrible visability unless it had a bank of cameras and screens on the inside to see everthing. It was a pain to drive. Looking at the new smart I don't think it looks anywhere near as bad as the Hyundai.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,634 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Timetable The rules will phase in over several years. Automakers will be required to have compliant rearview systems in 10 percent of the vehicles they build from May 1, 2016, to May 1, 2017. That share rises to 40 percent for the next year and 100 percent starting on May 1, 2018.

U.S. finalizes plan to phase in rearview camera mandate, starting in 2016
And people wonder why the cost of cars keeps going up... They mandate TPMS, because folks are too lazy to check their tires, now they mandate rear view cameras because people are too lazy to turn their heads....:twak:

Remember the cars from the movie Demolition Man? They drove themselves... That's where we are heading... NO THANK YOU!!! I like driving myself...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I find it very beneficial in my 451 cabrio. I've never driven any other smart. The cabrio has a much smaller rear window though.
I have to agree... I had one installed on my cabrio and didn't realize how much I was using it until we got the new city flame. It was a great addition for a $5 camera off of ebay. :D

The city flame is getting a camera next week....

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
How do you make a $5 camera into a rear view camera system? Please post it when you do it to the City Flame. Us cabrio drivers will love to borrow your tech ability.
Thanks,
Mick

ps The logo you sent will work well. Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
How do you make a $5 camera into a rear view camera system? Please post it when you do it to the City Flame. Us cabrio drivers will love to borrow your tech ability.
Thanks,
Mick

ps The logo you sent will work well. Thanks
Here's the equivalent of what I had... day and night vision... $10 on ebay.

CMOS Car Rear View Reverse Night Vision Waterproof LED Color Backup Camera | eBay

two screws and a drill hole and it mounts inverted next to the license plate bulb housings on the underside of the lip above the plate. Ran the wire around to the pioneer head unit I already had in the car and it was plug and play. Took the guys maybe 30 minutes to install it?

I'll post a pic once.... or when I can get it mounted on the city flame. The whole thing itself can't be more than 3 inches... you don't even notice it. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hmm, didn't know that any "normal" people owned smarts? :huh:
But jwight didn't say normal people, he said normal SIZED people (which I'm not, at 6'4" and a sadly significant fraction for the 451's weight!). The mirror doesn't really bother me for some reason, though; I have more of a problem with overhead traffic light visibility than anything else.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts