Smart Car of America Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,675 Posts
But jwight didn't say normal people, he said normal SIZED people (which I'm not . . . The mirror doesn't really bother me for some reason, though; I have more of a problem with overhead traffic light visibility than anything else.
As a "normal SIZED" person of 5' 11" who believes that the 451 mirror impairs forward vision, I was only poking fun at JW's opinion. :p

I too find that overhead signals can be challenging.

Oh, and from 6+ years of smarting around with this group size doesn't matter, few owners are normal!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice to see lighting in the cargo area, and what looks to be a height adjustable steering wheel. The engine hatch seems larger, so maintenance should be bit easier.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some sort of latch or button ( with warning label ) on the far right of dash that can only be accessed with the door open. Glad that the storage area inside the tailgate was retained.

·
Super Moderator
28,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quite true, Ken. I have a rear view camera connected to my Pioneer radio and more often than not I have the camera displayed on the screen to help with that major blind spot over the right shoulder.:)
I found the perfect solution to the rear view on the Cabrio:

Amazon.com: CIPA 60300 Wide Angle Lens - 11" x 14": Automotive

Get the 11" x 14" size, cut it in half lengthwise, flip the top half upside-down and stick it to the bottom of your cabrio rear window. Now in your rearview mirror you have a view so wide it obsoletes both side mirrors. I've been driving with it for months and it is great.

imgur: the simple image sharer
imgur: the simple image sharer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also, I had a question, is the 453 longer than the 451? The nose makes it look a foot longer but maybe that's an optical illusion.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Still has the Dion Tube... Means it will still Hobby-Horse when shifting...<:-((
de Dion has nothing to do with this. The long shifting times associated with the current single-clutch transmission, combined with short wheelbase, combined with too-soft spring and damping rates, leads to the pitching during gear changes.

We know the automatic transmission is fixed ... shifts will happen so quickly that the chassis won't have time to pitch forward and back. As far as the manual transmission is concerned, shifting is up to you.

The wheelbase is the same within a few millimeters ... if you want a car this short then that's how it's gonna be.

We have no idea about the suspension calibration.

Aftermarket suspension, with much higher spring and damping rates, mostly sorts out the 451's excessive pitching on gear changes - even with the existing single-clutch transmission.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts