Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 2008 Smart forTwo Passion last week and want to sell the very special 'Smart 4 2' vanity plates I have had since purchasing the car. For some reason the new owner did not want them, so I am offering it for $325 OBO to a lucky forTwo owner. Drive around in style and let the rest of the world know your passion - no pun intended :).

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Let me clear this up; are you selling the rights to have the name on the plate you've claimed, or are you selling the plates as nothing more than clever squares of metal??

I thought it was illegal to sell plates as the state technically owns them; which is the reason for plate surrenders. Maybe I'm wrong? :confused:

(Which I'm hoping I am, as I want to keep the [NY] plates I have just because - even if they can't be put back on a car again.)

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
in TX you have to pay the state annually to keep the vanity plates -- this is the reason I won't bother with them. So, on my FIAT, I bought a set of vintage 1963 plates and you are allowed to run those!

·
Registered
449 Posts
We pay a 1 time fee of $100 in MN for custom plates, then they're ours. Custom plates stay with owner. Normal plates stay with the car.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,861 Posts
". . . so I am offering it for $325 OBO" :rofl2:

How Do I Reassign to Another Vehicle, Retain for Future Use, or Release Interest in a License Plate?

Complete a Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) (PDF) form indicating that you want to reassign the license plates to another vehicle, hold the license plates for future use, or release interest in the license plates. If you are retaining license plates for future use, most have an annual retention fee. The retention fees vary by type of license plate and are listed on the second page of the REG 17. Failure to pay the annual retention fee will result in cancellation of the license plate and possible reassignment of the configuration.

Cali Vanity Plate rules: How to Obtain Personalized and Special Interest License Plates HTVR 24

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Transfer of Plates

It is perfectly legal to transfer vanity plates to another vehicle in CA. This ONLY applies to vanity plates and not regular plates - the latter follow the vehicle when sold. As MB DNA points out there is a special DMV form you can use. As long as I "own" the vanity plates, I have to pay a yearly fee to keep them. If you purchase them from me, you will have to pay a yearly fee to keep them.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
In England, number plates are fabricated to order, and are the property of the owner. Special combinations (a person's initials for instance) and low digits change hands for a premium ... sometimes astronomical sums.

One of the most prized, KAR120C, reportedly was offered a six figure price (pounds sterling!) and refused!

Cheers, Bob

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,639 Posts
In England, number plates are fabricated to order, and are the property of the owner. Special combinations (a person's initials for instance) and low digits change hands for a premium ... sometimes astronomical sums.

One of the most prized, KAR120C, reportedly was offered a six figure price (pounds sterling!) and refused!

Cheers, Bob
Isn't that the plate from the Lotus Super Seven from the British tv show "The Prisioner"?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts