Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So getting around to doing the annual service on my coupe and wanted to do the three year old brake fluid on my cabriolet. Started by checking the cabin air filter on the coupe. Just for the heck of it, I figured I'd check the cabriolet too even though the dealer performed an A service before I got it and also the car only has 450 miles on it. As expected the almost new cabriolet's cabin air filter was clean, but it was installed backwards, i.e. opposite to the air flow direction. Did it come that way from the factory or did the dealer tech look at it and reinstall it wrong? Also interesting to note that the cabin air filter from the coupe was a much heavier duty unit even though both were the original filters. The dates on the cabin air filters were only a few months apart.

Annual service on these cars are really easy to do.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 11,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 450 miles

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I replaced the OEM cabin filter on ours it was... Lets just say thin verging on transparent. The after market fram replacement has activated carbon, some heft and helped reduced the fan noise.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Maybe it was replaced, with a new one, incorrectly. I checked the service literature and it notes to replace the filter, not inspect. Are you confident it is not a replacement? I'd be very surprised if the factory used significantly different filters for production....

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the dealership do an A service before they shipped the car to me. The desiccant cartridge was the only part indicated on the repair ticket. The dates on the two cabin filters were about right for the production date of the cars. There was no reason to replace the cabin filter on the cabriolet, since it only had 50 miles on it. I still am of the opinion that both are original filters from the factory. It is possible that maybe a tech at the dealership removed and inspected that filter and then put it back in backwards. They are definitely both marked with the Smart logo, so at least I know that they both came from Smart. The skimpier filter was a later production than the heftier one, so maybe at some point Smart cheaped out a bit on the cabin filter. As some others have indicated, newer OE filters are less impressive than some aftermarket filters.

Len
2014 EV Cabriolet 450 miles

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Very strange, I thought the B service is desiccant time, and cabin filter is once a year. Wouldn't want mold to start building up, which might, with low use....

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very strange, I thought the B service is desiccant time, and cabin filter is once a year. Wouldn't want mold to start building up, which might, with low use....
You are correct, but I took what I could get and/or convince the dealer to do to make this sale happen. Since the car had been sitting on the lot for three years, I said that I wanted a new desiccant filter and I wanted the brake fluid flushed. Well, I got the desiccant filter and let the brake fluid slide, since I can and did do that myself for about eight bucks. The filter with 50 miles on the car I wasn't concerned about. Not worried about mold too much in NJ. Not too worried about it here in NC either. I'll change the cabin filter when it shows some sign of being dirty or at three or four years of real use, whichever comes first.

Len
2014 EV Cabriolet 600 miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts