Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Mods, admins: If this can go somewhere more helpful put it there, please.
I didn't find this elsewhere, so I thought I'd pitch in.

On a mission to not pay such silly prices for a cabin air filter from the dealer, I did a little experiment.
I took measurements from the cabin filter in the smart and came with these findings...

If your Wal-Mart has the Fram FreshBreeze cabin air filters, CF10132 is a perfect fit! A little less thick, but it definately works. For about $16, I'd say that's a deal.
I dunno about cross references.. but that's a start!
Beat that, stealership!! :twak:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Looks like Lexus GX470,RX350, and RX400h
Mazda MPV (2003)
Mistubishi Galant (08-09)
Mitsubishi Endeavor (06-09)
Toyota Avalon, Camry, Solara, Sienna

And if you google that part number, you also get some Prius forums.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
For charcoal pre-filter, I use this in on my home furnace/air handler intake, on top of the normal filter. They do wonders to attract and capture cat hair and even some larger dust. I have 4 cats and the charcoal definitely helps reduce litterbox aroma. Plus, I can use a high end 20 dollar 3M furnace filter and only change it every 3 months, changing the pre-filter only every couple of weeks (5 bucks a month to save 40 bucks a month).

I'm not sure if this can be velcro-strapped to the air filter mentioned earlier, but it's worth a shot. I can imagine getting about 20 Smart size prefilters out of this, and the rest can go to your home air intake.

Amazon.com: Honeywell/Enviracaire Preflilter #32002 (2 pk): Kitchen & Dining

Even 16 bucks for an air filter is too much, IMHO. But if it's once a year... maybe not so bad.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
If you go to frams web site, and check out the specs for these filters, they are an activated "carbon" filter. Which is the same as activiated charcoal. So it should work the same as OEM.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts

Amazon.com: FRAM CF10132 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter: Automotive

$14.59

Overview FRAM® Fresh Breeze™ Cabin Air Filters use ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda to absorb odors passing through the filter. Baking soda and activated carbon are embedded in the filter to freshen the air before you breath it. Say goodbye to smelly, stale air and hello to a deep breath of baking soda freshness.

ARM & HAMMER™ and the ARM & HAMMER logo are registered trademarks of Church & Dwight Co., Inc. and are used under license.
Instructions
Once you determine your specific FRAM Fresh Breeze Air Filter model number, click on the appropriate installation instructions below.
http://www.fram.com/pdf/caf/IB48.pdf

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was hoping Bosch would come out with one before I need it. The Toyota dealer wanted over $80 for the cabin filter. Got a Bosch at AutoZone for less than$30

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I need to find a kit to retrofit all this high tech stuff to my '73 Corvette. How did I ever survive the last 38 years.........

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The funny thing is the charcoal is actually quite visible in this filter and not the smart oem. Maybe it's micronized or something... :rolleyes:

It even has baking soda in it! Obviously already stated. I know...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great Info... Thank you very much.. I haven't got my smart yet but this info is going in my smart maintenance notebook.. Thanks!

Aloha, Tim

·
Registered
9,010 Posts
...is there a list of approved air filters, like the oil/oil filters papers from smart, that calls out for these different manufacturers...if there is one, cool...if there's not one then I will suggest you find proof that the filter that you, the DIY guy used, was approved, just in case Murphy decides to take residence in the fan motor and your center declines you warranty consideration for the use of non approved parts...

jetfuel

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Instructions say: Change every 15K or by manufacturers recommendation. So it should filter just fine time wise.
The filter length and width are exactly on. 8 3/8" by 8 3/8". It even has a bit of foam to seal up the top and bottom edges. The filter is just a bit thinner (front to back). I'll go take exact measurements on the thickness, if you'd like.

I myself haven't the need to change the filter just yet, but I compared airflow (at least by feel, I don't have fancy measuring devices!) and it was no different, which is the important thing because there is no difference in stress to the fan motor compared to stock. It would take a long time with a dirty filter before the motor gave out. I don't see a problem with it if you keep it changed out like it should be. That shouldn't be a problem, this is one of the easiest cabin filter changes I've ever seen on a car..
Plus, you could always keep the stock filter on hand if something goes wonky under warranty. :p
I'll let you know if my fan motor goes out...

It took nearly a year for them to put out approved stuff around an oil change. (Be it, yes.. not many had to have an oil change in that time..) Like with the oil filters, some members on here went on ahead and put them on the car before well before they were approved. It'll be a bit more time, I bet, before they put out more approved things for the DIYer that can't get to the dealer straight away.

We'll never get anywhere if we don't get a little rebellious! :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
Jetfuel- The car makers will never give tacit approval to the use of aftermarket parts. Aftermarket parts are available because we have laws in place that allow competition, if an aftermarket part is available it generally meets SAE standards for the part.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts