Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 with 455 miles is making a horrible plastic cracking sound on drivers side right before the first phase slide back stops.

Best I can see its when all the little plastic pieces slide together.

This can't be normal?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine made it on the passenger side and it was the cover over the mechanical bits. You can see it when the tailgate is down and the rear window is lifted up- its on either side and covers the gears and motors. Mine was unclipped and was getting hit by something when it would move. You'll see the little tabs line up with holes in the metal assembly, make sure its pushed all the way in until it clicks. Make sure it matches the other side that doesn't make the noise. I never would have noticed mine had popped out if I hadn't looked at how the other side was popped in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine made it on the passenger side and it was the cover over the mechanical bits. You can see it when the tailgate is down and the rear window is lifted up- its on either side and covers the gears and motors. Mine was unclipped and was getting hit by something when it would move. You'll see the little tabs line up with holes in the metal assembly, make sure its pushed all the way in until it clicks. Make sure it matches the other side that doesn't make the noise. I never would have noticed mine had popped out if I hadn't looked at how the other side was popped in.

Good luck!
So I need to lower the top and drop the tailgate to see themn

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Mine clicks when going from the Targa position to the roof closed position just as the front of the roof transitions on to the rt. rail. It is a single click. The rail is seated all the way. I can't determine what is clicking. It is hard to see it while in motion. I'm going to have to get someone to operate the roof switch so I can get close enough to see it. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine clicks when going from the Targa position to the roof closed position just as the front of the roof transitions on to the rt. rail. It is a single click. The rail is seated all the way. I can't determine what is clicking. It is hard to see it while in motion. I'm going to have to get someone to operate the roof switch so I can get close enough to see it. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
That's what mine I'd doing. Just before the roof stops sliding back. I've pin pointed the noise to be where the track on the removable side rail and the fixed track attached to the back portion that folds down.

When I open the top slide I can watch the three pieces in the track move to the rear. Just as all three come together at the seam in track I heard the loud plastic crack.

It doesn't do it everytime but at least 60% of the time, and never on the passenger side so it's not normal

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Mine is always on the passenger side, never on the driver side. It is where the glides transition onto the removable Rail. I just can't figure out what to adjust. It does not seem to me to be the rail where it clicks down into the body. There must be adjustments on the roof mechanism to line up with the rail instead.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I understood him to mean lower the tailgate and raise the rear part of the roof (not open the top), so you can see the panels.
Correct, with the roof closed, open the tailgate, then lift up the rear window (extra access) it will be what the bottom frame part that has the unlock tabs on either side- what that connects to. You'll see some gears and stuff- there should be a plastic cover panel on both sides of the car..

I'll get some pics in the morning!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Correct, with the roof closed, open the tailgate, then lift up the rear window (extra access) it will be what the bottom frame part that has the unlock tabs on either side- what that connects to. You'll see some gears and stuff- there should be a plastic cover panel on both sides of the car..

Pics would be awesome. I work 12 hour days so I may not get to look at it till Thursday but pics would be so very helpful

Thank you

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'll try to get them wednesday morning. I shipped my car off to the dealer on Monday morning and expected it back by now, but it hasn't happened.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
My first noise with the folding roof was a screech as the top was close to fully opened and down all the way. I lubed all the pivot points with Deep Creep and the screech stopped. The click is a different matter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I checked last night and everything seems to be secured properly. I'll look further this weekend.

The noise can't be normal cause it doesn't do it everytime. Ugh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts