Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Passion Cabrio.

My convertible top is slightly misaligned, refusing to close completely on one side (very tiny gap, but much wind noise >45mph). The hooks that clasp to the A pillar don't match; one is fully latched, the other only partially. After removing the rear brake light and spoiler assembly, I am able to access the soft top motor. I have repeatedly realigned the spring cables against the gears inside, but each time I run the top back forward, the teeth skip back to the previous position. I have adjusted both sides both ways, in every permutation I can think of.

1. Is it possible to source these gears and/or other myriad little plastic pieces elderberry in the top assemblies, as it's possible they are a little worn?

2. Has anyone found success in realigning the two sides of the top by means other than opening the soft top motor transmission?

3. I really need advice from someone who has successfully worked on one of these... I'm persistent and resourceful but this is trying me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have only adjusted the tension on the top by tightening the fabric straps that run on each side. Maybe one side of yours is too tight, if so its an easy fix.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Zach, I hope you loosened the side that was appropriate... I think they are designed to be equally tensionned.
Sorry if this does not help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Passion Cabrio.

My convertible top is slightly misaligned, refusing to close completely on one side (very tiny gap, but much wind noise >45mph). The hooks that clasp to the A pillar don't match; one is fully latched, the other only partially. After removing the rear brake light and spoiler assembly, I am able to access the soft top motor. I have repeatedly realigned the spring cables against the gears inside, but each time I run the top back forward, the teeth skip back to the previous position. I have adjusted both sides both ways, in every permutation I can think of.

1. Is it possible to source these gears and/or other myriad little plastic pieces elderberry in the top assemblies, as it's possible they are a little worn?

2. Has anyone found success in realigning the two sides of the top by means other than opening the soft top motor transmission?

3. I really need advice from someone who has successfully worked on one of these... I'm persistent and resourceful but this is trying me.
I have both side motors and gears if you need some

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's actually both these cassettes from the convertible top.. The ones at the front. Maybe we can make a deal on the entire cloth top, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops, maybe wrong thread. I just need the cassettes for the little plastic guide in the front. It's not available separately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts