Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 ForTwo Cabrio decided to somehow jam some roof drive cable into the gap at the rear of the passenger-side removable roof rail. Note to self: pull the cabrio top fuse (#29, 30A, green) in October to insure the top doesn’t accidentally operate in the middle of winter. I’m thinking it must have munched the drive cable pretty good, I'll probably need to install a new soft top sliding roof cable kit.

BTW: Over the years, when the roof had misaligned, I’ve removed the rear spoiler & other screws to get access to the drive motor, removed the drive gear (so the cables move freely) & simply repositioned the roof evenly, reinstalled the drive gear, then buttoned everything back up. Don’t know if this is the best way, but it has worked for me. Don’t expect it to work this time.

I’m not afraid to tackle replacing the sliding roof cables, a procedure would be nice.

Looks like the roof cable kit might be part# A4517800089, a.k.a. Drive Cable Assembly.

Anyone here replaced their sliding roof cables? Surely someone has by now…

Can anyone point me to a detailed procedure for doing it? Or a video? Or share your experience?

Can anyone confirm the step-by-step procedure is in a service manual I can buy?

Relocate my post if not in best forum - Thanks in advance, Den

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob & Jo e Lefors: Thanks for the suggestions. That video would be helpful to someone with a normally operating top, where the drive cables can fully retract into the folding rear portion of the top. Unfortunately, my drive cable on the passenger-side is somehow jammed twisted into the gap & hung-up there. Operating the switch to retract the top just causes the gear to slip rather than engage that cable. I need to either free or sever (a last resort) the cable in the gap. I've tried poking around the gap with an awl, maybe not the right tool, haven't moved the cable yet. Not much room there. It is 10 degrees outside (heading to 30) & still dang cold inside my garage.

I did find a very interesting YouTube video titled: 2008 Smart Fortwo convertible- how to replace broken front slider latch

It shows a cabrio that someone purchased & was able to get the roof system fully working again, but he inherited a working motor & drive cable system that had a broken passenger-side latch. As inherited, the roof latch was inoperative, so previous owner had used a pull tie to keep the latch locked closed.

Worst-case, I think I can sever the cable (but hope not to), then manually move the passenger-side top fully forward so the locking latch engages, then put a heavy-duty pull-tie there to insure the locking hook stays latched until Spring, when its warm enough to finish the job properly. Then pull the fuse to insure to top remains forward.

Near-term, I'll work on freeing the cable from the gap. If I can do that, then disengage the motor-drive gear, I can manually move both sides fully forward to engage the latches. I'd really like to use the car the rest of the winter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hello the big e: Are you saying you can look up & share the procedure to replace the drive cables?

If so, that would be fantastic !

I pm'd you to share my email address.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After I was able to cut the "looped" passenger-side drive cable, I removed the rearward portion of that cable from the guide-tube by pulling it out at the gearbox. I had to cut the drive cable a 2nd time to sever the permanently bent loop, so the straight cable could re-enter the track in the rail. Then I manually positioned the roof equidistant about an inch from the windshield, positioned the remaining drive cable into the gear box, then powered the driver-side roof forward to latch. On the passenger-side, I manually moved the roof forward to seat, moving the latch-hook forward enough to lock it in place with a couple pull-ties, good enough to last until Spring, with better weather to replace the drive cables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts