Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to adjust the top glide rails on a 2008 USA cabriolet fortwo. One day the top operated just fine. The next morning the top would "catch" on the driver's side where the top rail connects near the roll bar. Closer inspection shows the pieces are misaligned by about a 1/16 of an inch, left to right, just enough to catch the bow glide as it tries to transition. I have taken the rail off and on several times, with the same misalignment. Checked both the rail and the top mechanism for any adjustment point, but can not find anyway to move either piece left or right so they match. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not aware of any adjustment capability but my car does the same thing after losing several small black pieces of plastic that have fallen on our heads while operating the top. I suspect they were some sort of guides which have broken.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bought one Friday, 3 hours later a slider broke and top won't close. Anyone know where to get the new sliders?
I've had good luck buying parts from www.mbpartsstore.com. Just go to the smart Parts Catalog, choose your year and make, then go to Body > Cover & Components.

Also mine won't fully open, stops at the top point but won't lower the window.
Did you know that a momentary press of the Top Down button only retracts the fabric, and you need to press and hold the button again to drop the top and back window fully?

Hope that helps!

Peter

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had good luck buying parts from Just go to the smart Parts Catalog, choose your year and make, then go to Body > Cover & Components.

Did you know that a momentary press of the Top Down button only retracts the fabric, and you need to press and hold the button again to drop the top and back window fully?

Hope that helps!

Peter

Guess I didn't hold the button long enough.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks, I didn't scroll far enough down when i found this link early today. So the "Slide rail" is what I need? I watched a video and they showed the rail glides as a separate part vs all together like this link shows.
Yes, I believe it's the side rails you need, but I've never tried replacing them.

Guess I didn't hold the button long enough. Was trying to make sure i didn't snap anything else. Will it stop in the down motion if i let go? I just need to get past the side rails so i can remove those and push top forward to put the glide back in till i can get a new part.
If the top is retracted to the first open position (soft top accordioned but back window portion still up), you need to press and hold for the top to fully retract and fold down. I think the top will stop midway from the first position to the second if you release the button. Can't say that I've tried that since I'm always either opening or closing it all the way.

Good luck!

Peter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I believe it's the side rails you need, but I've never tried replacing them.

If the top is retracted to the first open position (soft top accordioned but back window portion still up), you need to press and hold for the top to fully retract and fold down. I think the top will stop midway from the first position to the second if you release the button. Can't say that I've tried that since I'm always either opening or closing it all the way.

Good luck!

Peter
No luck, held it down forever after the first stop and it never budged. So something is not working and no luck in a any searches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts