Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 451 cab, wondering if there are some common issues or problems this cabriolet has that I should be aware of? Does any parts need to be lubed? Does the cover need to be treated with waterproof agents? etc etc first time owing a convertible, lol thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
No Special Treatment

My 2008 cabrio has been washed with the normal car washing soap every couple of weeks and it seems just fine! I use it whenever the temperature is >50 degrees; quite often that is two or three cycles a day!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Top rattles are most often cured by a light lubing of the rails with Sil-glyde. It is a silicone grease that comes in a tube. It doesn't run or drip and provides enough surface tension under the glides on the rails that they don't rattle. I also lube the spars on the rails where they plug into the windshield post on each side. No more rattles from that one either.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
smart sells felt blocks that can be bought in boxes of 20, which are designed to clean out and leave a trail of lubricant on the tracks. They are cheap and clean in places that nothing else can.

·
Registered
493 Posts
or just leave the TOP DOWN.... (AND DRIVE WHEN ITS NICE) lol

I have opened and closed mine many times below 50 deg, with the tracks lubed with silicone gel lube no problem...
recently drove from upstate ny to philly and back (4 1/2 hours each way), in one day with top totally down, side rails off. gotta love a rag top!

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Recently ... several times upon closing the roof it has failed to close the last bit of the way without a second or third try. Even when apparently closed, I am getting much more wind noise from the front end than I should be ... as if it isn't actually closed, even though it appears to be. I have not noticed any leaks though.

Five years, five months old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts