Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cadillac ELR’s “Regen On Demand" (Paddles) Picks Up 2014 Green Car Technology Award

This appears to be the same as the paddles on the Smart. ELR just started arriving in December.

http://insideevs.com/cadillac-elrs-regen-on-demand-picks-up-2014-green-car-technology-award/

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Caddillac........

Dual-side paddle controls located behind the steering wheel provide regeneration on demand, putting energy back into your battery while simultaneously slowing you down.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Since the ELR is basically a dressed up Volt, are those paddles on the Volt as well? :)
not on my 2014 Volt or any other for that matter

its new as is the adaptive cruise control plus it has a ton of other goodies which include those awesome LED headlights

Rumor has it that some of these changes may come down to the next gen Volt...

The Volt does have another gear...Low.... which is like plus on the paddles.....

The ELR paddles are different as you have to hold them to use them..on the Smart they are switches...

But.....Smart had them first...been there done that...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Cadillac obviously paid for that award as the Fisker Karma and Smart ED already had them along with the Audi A3 E-Tron prototype which came out before the ELR.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What I'd like is a "decelerator" pedal activated by my left foot that would continuously modulate the regen effect. The brake light would come on when either the brake pedal or decelerator pedal is pressed. Your first response might be that this could become a safety issue because of confusion with the actual brake pedal. I don't think so. I've never had any trouble working a clutch and brake at the same time on a standard shift car. I don't think this would be that much different.

·
Registered
646 Posts
What I'd like is a "decelerator" pedal activated by my left foot that would continuously modulate the regen effect. The brake light would come on when either the brake pedal or decelerator pedal is pressed. Your first response might be that this could become a safety issue because of confusion with the actual brake pedal. I don't think so. I've never had any trouble working a clutch and brake at the same time on a standard shift car. I don't think this would be that much different.
Ummm, you already have that on your Smart EV.
Just watch your Power Meter
-Let foot off of accelerator pedal, "normal" regen, but no brake lights.
-Lightly press brake pedal, brake lights come on and max regen
-Press a little harder, now you engage the brakes themselves.

Your brake pedal does exactly what the paddle shifters do in cars that have them, you just have to use your foot instead. In fact, one techie here measured the numbers and said that max regen with the brake pedal was actually more than with the D+ mode with the paddles.

Pay attention to the Power Meter and you will get it. Needle buried on the left side is Max Regen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts