Smart Car of America Forum banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I can understand why you want to match the grill with the bodywork as yours is all one (beautiful) colour. Mine came black as i have a black trid, so I left it that way...

Sorry about the size of the file.. I attached it before I realised
Very nice! Yours is a Tailor Made correct? How much did you pay?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Unfortunately mine is not the Tailor made. Mine is the Brabus Sport Package as this is the only edition of the Brabus line available to us in the states, would love to have the full Brabus edition with the extra horsepower. But I'm still very happy with what I have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You're absolutely correct, but seeing how difficult and time consuming it was to remove grille just thought it would have been a little easier to keep it in place. But I probably would have done same as you and did a proper spray job by removing grille

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks Guys, I AM fishing for opinions as my own social circle doesn't include Smart fans! No, it's not a brabus of any description. it started life as a top of the range Prime with jbl, digital radio and loaded with everything you could put on it. You cant buy Tailor made smarts in the UK. I went on a trip to France which included a visit to dealership, where they had Tailor made models on display. I instantly decided that the skirts and valances would look good on my car. it took a while to source them as they weren't listed on MB computers as an accessory that you could purchase. They're appearing now so its doable with less stress. The same goes for the wheels. Apparently, there's a shortage of these because of the massive demand for the brabus model since its release. It does seem to be all you guys are talking about just lately. So anyway, the paint scheme is one of my own making. I was a tiny bit concerned that the combination would be a bit weird but its been accepted by most who have seen it.

oh and the lowering springs arrived today...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Thanks Guys, I AM fishing for opinions as my own social circle doesn't include Smart fans! No, it's not a brabus of any description. it started life as a top of the range Prime with jbl, digital radio and loaded with everything you could put on it. You cant buy Tailor made smarts in the UK. I went on a trip to France which included a visit to dealership, where they had Tailor made models on display. I instantly decided that the skirts and valances would look good on my car. it took a while to source them as they weren't listed on MB computers as an accessory that you could purchase. They're appearing now so its doable with less stress. The same goes for the wheels. Apparently, there's a shortage of these because of the massive demand for the brabus model since its release. It does seem to be all you guys are talking about just lately. So anyway, the paint scheme is one of my own making. I was a tiny bit concerned that the combination would be a bit weird but its been accepted by most who have seen it.

oh and the lowering springs arrived today...
Ahh, ok nice! I did the same in buying the brabus Tailor Made sideskirts and spoiler for mine from MB. We dont have TM program here either.. but I LOVED the way they looked and knew I wanted them. Mine is a US Brabus tho and came with the wheels and front/rear valence so Im not replacing those at all. I may be getting a set of 17s for the front of my car, still debating. I have a guy with a brabus in Washington who is willing to trade 16s for 17s, but Im waiting til I get the springs installed to make the decision. I tried my 17s on front but havent driven it like that. In theory they fit and have about a half inch to spare when cranked all the way to one side.. but still want to test them out on the road.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,494 Posts
May as well go 17's all around. The Forfour comes from the factory with 17's on all corners. I have been running 17's all around on my old 451 for several years. Good luck with the mods.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
May as well go 17's all around. The Forfour comes from the factory with 17's on all corners. I have been running 17's all around on my old 451 for several years. Good luck with the mods.
The problem is the width, they are 17x8.5. The aftermarket 17s are all x7.5. Smart says that you "cant retrofit the rears on the front", but I dont really trust that. Like I said, I tried the 17s on front and they seemed to work, but I didnt really drive the car around like that.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,494 Posts
Before I bought front Brabus wheels for my car (7.5x17), I called Smart Madness to get their opinion. They told me they had tried the mod, and it would not fit properly because of rubbing.

Well, being the stubborn old guy I am, I went ahead and bought 2 Brabus 7.5x17 wheels and 2 Hankook 215/35-17 tires. Guess what, no issues at all. They have been on the car for about five years and never given me a bit of trouble. Lately, I have been trying different size Eibach wheel spacers to move the tread to the fender edge. Still, no issues.

I have seen several 451's with 8.5x17's on the rear, but they were aftermarket wheels. Are you sure your wheels are 8.5 wide? I thought I read somewhere they were only 7 or 7.5 wide.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
My rear are 17x8.5 and front are 16x7.5. Madness are the ones who did the swap for me to test out the fit. They said they look good and have a half inch to spare, but I didnt drive the car with them on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
You'll really notice the difference, once installed let me know what you think of them ? Have a good weekend
Holy crap they are amazing! Very bright, I cant wait to drive at night now. :D The fogs are SUPER bright.. but he said those were the ones I needed. I got both from the same guy you did and they are both Philips brand which is nice. I was worried about the off brand ones for $30.

If any SoCal peeps are looking for these LED bulbs let me know, this guy is in Glendale and hes got good pricing. :)

Attachments

101 - 120 of 142 Posts