Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2006 smart with a problem in which shifter will not go into park... key is on in key 2 position foot on brake.. shifter moves fine in all gears and selection just will not go past reverse... local mb smart car parts shift stocks a shifter assembly .. the person who I bought the car from said his mechanic said to replace shifter.. anyone else have this problem ??

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got a 2005 and there is no park :)

The car must be started in neutral with foot on the brake and the car is stopped (key won't come out unless) in reverse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that works just fine except the state of Virginia will not pass it for a state inspection.. I have a new shifter coming Tuesday will see what that does

·
17,478 Posts
I'm still not understanding here. So the shift pattern in a 450 is "+1 -1 N R". There is no Park. To park a 450, you shift it into Reverse then shut it down. This locks the transmission into place.

If the unit the dealership is sending you has a "Park", it's a unit for a 451 and won't work in your 450.

Reactions: jwight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New Shifter Installed

Got my new shifter in from Mercedes... installed into car car finally goes into park per gear shift indicator dash says other it says “n” on digital display should it say this or “p” 2008 smart passion... once I start car run thru gear and try to go back to park per the indicator on shifter says park the dash says “1” and with some fiddling it goes back to “n” did I mess something up?

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
That is the $64,000 question. It may take a trip to the dealer to find the answer. :)

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but one of my 2009s has just developed the problem Eaweld described above. No "P" on the indicator with the shifter in "P". Either shows "1" or "N". The parking pawl engages normally, and the car starts in "N" and seems to drive normally. What did you do to get the indication corrected?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts