Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have an 08 Cabrio passion. I wanted to add a speaker in the back but keep the stock radio 10. I have read that the stock radio only has 2 outputs for speakers. It looks like I dont have tweeters, but I do see some wiring under my drivers seat that looks like Smart sub?? I cant hear any sound from it so I'm not sure if only the wiring exist. Can any let me know how to confirm a sub and if another speaker can be added?

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts

·
aka 'Red-Devil'
276 Posts
Before I swapped out the stock radio, I plugged 2 6x9's into the harness under the drivers seat. I installed the speakers in $20 speaker boxes that set in the rear. Sounded much better and easy to remove.

This is in a coupe, not familiar with luggage area in cabrio.

·
Registered
536 Posts
There's really not a lot of room to put rear speakers in a cabrio. You can staple hook velcro to the bottom of small truck 6x9 enclosures, and stick them to the carpet, or take your seats to upholstery shop with 2 pairs of small speakers and have them put them in the headrest.

The only speakers I have mounted in the rear are a pair of infinity reference 1031-t tweeters. They are surface mounted to an angled surface of the cover over the top linkage.

Maybe you could get some 3.5" 2 ways in the B pillar, but not without a spacer ring. Rears are fill anyway. you don't need a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I see that rear speakers can be installed if I change my stock radio. However, I want to keep my stock radio and add a Kicker tube in the back. Im trying to determine if I can connect into the wires that lead to my underseat sub. (Also, I'm not even sure that I have an underseat sub, because I have never heard it or felt it rattle when I turn up the radio)

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Subs shouldn't rattle. But, I've had my stock sub removed (pretty useless IMO). If you can reach under your driver's seat ... you don't have one.

I don't know about the Radio 10. Mine has been gone for years and I paid others to do the upgrading. But, IIRC, the wiring to the OEM sub is a little odd, from posts I've read. Derekns will voice his views, stand by.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see. Well I think i may have one because I can reach under there. I should have said I cant feel the sub vibrate when i turn up the sound. I've even use a stethascope but heard nothing. Either way, any idea if the wires going into the sub can be used to connect to my Kicker sub instead?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I feed my head unit (Sony, but it could be done with a stock one) into my old trusty Alpine MRP-240 amp. I mounted *it* under the dash instead of doing the sub. (It was too big and bulky to fit under the seat.) It runs the two fronts and a dual 4 ohm coil 8" in a custom box in the drivers side of the rear. It gets 80W and the others get 40W. That's all I really need.

Look at the wiring harness of your radio and see how many and what color wires there are. There was a place on this site that had the information about it, but I forget where it is... I actually fed my fronts by running the amp output back into the stock wiring harness. It was really easy with an aftermarket wiring kit and having the amp so close to the unit.

I've done similar things in my other cars by creating a way to interrupt the signal from the head unit to the harness and plug my amp in between them. Allows me to put everything back to stock in no time flat...
The rear out of a stock unit can be made too hook up to an amp (might need adapting) and then you can decide to run whatever you need. From what I've read about the stock sub, you're better off without it.

For my $0.02, if you're going to use an mp3 player or USB stick, get a decent head unit with a USB input. Totally worth it!

Hope that helps,

Chance

ps-
If your stock head unit has front/rear fader capability, then it should be able to drive four speakers. You just need the wiring to make it happen and tapping that sub sounds like an easier way, but I've never played with them so I don't know for sure...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts