Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-all you RED SMART owners!
I ordered a Red/Silver/Comfort package Passion in May 07. My delivery is supposed to be in the next month or so.
I've been worried about this red color- ordered red for the safety issue, since my son will be driving it next year. Personally I don't care for red, and I've been hearing all this about the "tomato" color that it is. (I partial to white/silver Smarts...).
Let me know what you think about your red car, and I'm sure I'll be better with my choice...
Thanks everyone!!!:)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I love my red/black/black leather cabrio. I wouldn't like it as much if it was a "truer" red. I prefer orangey reds, so it's perfect for me.

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
smarts' "red" is a bit different, especially the 'red' interior. the interior 'red' is VERY orange and the exterior 'red' has an orange hue to it, but is more 'red' than the interior.......if any of that makes sense.

i personally like the 'red' exterior, but only with the black interior. the 'red' interior i like with either white, silver or black exterior but not 'RED' exterior. to me, it just doesn't go well.

i think you've made an excellent choice in color combos. the red, silver, white and of course YELLOW are all excellent choices for visibility. myself, i'm leaning towards either white/silver, silver/silver or yellow/silver but should a 'red' orphan come at the right time, i would probably say it wouldn't be an orphan any longer......;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
The "red" is in fact way towards the orange side. I hate to say it, but it looks "pre-faded" as in an overdone-by-the-sun '70's Toyota...

I searched through many, many reds, and finally had several test panels done and my wife picked her "Ultimate Red". These panels were checked under bright sun, late day sun, fluorescent lights, etc., etc.. It's pretty funny when you go on a "quest". Ferrari Red, & Porsche Guards Red were considered too orange, Viper Red, well you get the idea...

Then the car arrived & wife is not letting it go just yet for the rework.
My Plan B is to purchase a set of white panels (since the base for the Ultimate Red is white), do them, then probably swap them while she sleeps. Hopefully, we will never need the spares, but it does open the door to me doing a set I like, and playing with those.

My advice to you is a) Look for a Red one as they start to show up & see if you can live with it, and, if not, b) Start looking at "red cars". New Mazdas have a nice bright red, there's Corvette Red, etc.. If, while you're waiting, you find a car (perhaps at a dealership) that's your/your son's ultimate red, just get the Name/Code so you're ready when the time comes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, the red is really orangey.. It's because they use a gold metallic in the paint, which gives it a yellowish sheen over the red. It's the reason my car was an orphan (not "red" enough for whoever ordered it) and the reason why I painted my car Matte Black.

( http://zenspeed.com/smart.html )

It's a lovely color if you like orange, but too orangey if you want red. The good news is that it's really easy to strip and paint one of these things.

Cheers,

Johnny

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
At first I was a little disappointed with the tomato red / black, because I had a small model smart with a real red/ black combo and I believed that would be the color I was going to get. Since there is a long wait for the car, I totally embraced the tomato red and am now pleased that I have it.
I believe that smart cars being what they are, should be brightly colored for aesthetics and for safety.
I wanted silver/silver at first then I read that silver was not easily seen from the side.
I believe a silver body with a small fire engine red sliver would look sharp, yet that would mean an outside paint job.
Apparently the websites of all countries that get the smart show that they have the same colors choices as we do.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I originally ordered a red/black. After looking at the "red" at the smart drive event last fall and realizing that the red was painted, I changed my mind.

I have a red interior, that is not red either, but goes well with the black/Silver that I have. See my photos.

As for painting the pannels, I'm trying to resist any temptation to do that. Part of the Smart car draw for me was the way the car is manufactured. Paint applied to the pannels, makes the car less "Green" IMHO. Remember that the car is suppose to be 95% recyclable. What happens when you paint the pannels? :confused:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!!
It seems that everyone who first posted loves their red cars.
The posts later seem to not love the color red as well. My son doesn't care what color it is, I just ordered red because it seemed safer for a young/male driver.
The interior will be black ( I hope) and not the red that I keep hearing about. It's the comfort package with the black leather seats, etc-so just assumed the whole interior is black.....thank you all for your feedback. I am starting to feel a little better...
widdle

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you all for your replies!

Okay- I'm feeling better. Some of you love the red, some of you don't.
I ordered red for the safety issue-as my son doesn't care what color car I have. I just figured that it'll be safer for a young/male driver to be in a bright car.
Anyway, I don't see it while I'm inside it.
The comfort package has black leather seats, so am assuming that the interior is all black....
widdle

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I Am Not Computer Literate And Didn't Know My First Message Was Sent. Sorry About The Duplicate Message.....

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!!
It seems that everyone who first posted loves their red cars.
The posts later seem to not love the color red as well. My son doesn't care what color it is, I just ordered red because it seemed safer for a young/male driver.
The interior will be black ( I hope) and not the red that I keep hearing about. It's the comfort package with the black leather seats, etc-so just assumed the whole interior is black.....thank you all for your feedback. I am starting to feel a little better...
widdle
Okay- I'm feeling better. Some of you love the red, some of you don't.
I ordered red for the safety issue-as my son doesn't care what color car I have. I just figured that it'll be safer for a young/male driver to be in a bright car.
Anyway, I don't see it while I'm inside it.
The comfort package has black leather seats, so am assuming that the interior is all black....
widdle
no problem....i'm computer illiterate (among other things) as well!

as i said before, i DO like the 'red' but not 'red w/red interior'. your choice of the comfort package with the black leather will take care of that. yes, it is ALL BLACK (or a really dark charcoal gray....but close enough!).

if a red/silver with black interior were to become an orphan at the right time, i'd have a hard time to say "no".....;)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Red/Silver/Beige for me with plenty of pics in my gallery

Got it as an orphan so it wasn't my first choice. It has grown on me as I have a Riverside Red Corvette that everyone calls ORANGE! In the evening it is a red but in the light of day its a Red-Orange (I said red first on purpose). We still have a yellow on order to be a companion with the red.

·
Registered
861 Posts
i dislike the red/black model and would guess that a fairly large percent on the road are Orphans, on the other hand the red/silver looks ok, I still think a bright red would have looked 100% better. I know they were playing safe but I bet if they would have brought ovber some pink, purple or lime green cars they would have been a hot seller, after all buyers of Smarts want something different and don't play safe.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
i dislike the red/black model and would guess that a fairly large percent on the road are Orphans, on the other hand the red/silver looks ok, I still think a bright red would have looked 100% better. I know they were playing safe but I bet if they would have brought ovber some pink, purple or lime green cars they would have been a hot seller, after all buyers of Smarts want something different and don't play safe.

I do like red and black and ordered it specifically as i do not like pink purple or lime green or black and silver YUK

·
Registered
117 Posts
I LOVE my red/black orphan! It is a cute car and has good visibility! I have never heard anything but the nicest comments on the car!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ordered the red/black as well. The red/silver makes the red look completely washed out. The whole thing looks dull. The black is needed to contrast the red somewhat. With silver, it looks more orange than with black.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I don't own a red one. Because when I first looked at the red on the showroom floor I really didn't like it. But after seeing it a few times it's kind of grown on me. Still not crazy about red interior but that seems to be a non issue for you. The red exterior isn't a true red and as long as that's not what your heart is set on then you'll probably still like it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts