Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my 2012 Smart car today,and i want to know:cool: can i install power/eletric steering in it?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
can i install power/eletric steering in it?
I suspect not economically; they normally put that in at the factory, when the car is only about halfway built.

I'll wager that even if you could afford to buy all the parts to add EPS after the fact, you'd still have to pull the front end of the car completely apart to install them, plus pay for the SAM reprogramming to enable the system, and I have zero doubt smartUSA would never warranty it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The answer is probably. Your question is incomplete in its present form, however. If the question is, "Can I install power/electric steering easily or economically?", the answer is no.

In addition to the required power steering rack with its motor and torque sensor and the EPS control unit, the other components involved are, in no particular order, the ESP control unit, the steering angle sensor in the column, the instrument cluster, the engine control unit (ME), and the SAM. The vehicle was not built with the system so the other electronics would not know it was there unless it was enabled. The option would need to be active in the SAM I expect. There may be more that I am not thinking about or do not know about.

A set of workout weights is cheaper. And you know how the ladies love a man with muscles. :)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Ahhh, but what if banzijack is a female? Which is why I asked "why". The non-PS smart is so ridiculously easy I've seen frail females drive them with ease.

It'd be cheapest to find a PS smart and trade the non-PS car for it.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
I just recieved my 2012 Smart car today,and i want to know:cool: can i install power/eletric steering in it?
WOW, buyers remorse on day one?

Can you install PS on a non-PS smart - NO!

Can a big bag of money get it done - YES. Will it be right, probably never.

On a day old purchase, Juice Isn't Worth The Squeeze . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts