Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe dumb question but our only drive in no longer has speakers and requires you to tune your radio to a station to listen to the movie....does the 2016 Smart Car have that ability and if so what position should the key be in....1 or 2?

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,073 Posts
I was just at the local park watching Shrek in my 2009...

Radio needed to be turned on after the ignition was off, and timed out (off) after an hour.
All I had to do was push the power button to turn it on again...

Key was removed...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
As indicated in the last post, the radio can be turned on without turning the key to the accessory position. In the 453 I believe it automatically shuts off after 30 minutes. Just push the button again for another round of 30 minute play. Yes, just tune the radio to the frequency the theater uses and you will hear the sound.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Batteries are very small on these vehicle. You can run them down fast. Just take a portable radio in the car with you.

View attachment 66429
The battery size is fine in the 453 smart. If her smart has the standard radio w/o an amp, woofer and extra speakers her radio will consume an extremely small amount of power and will not be drained down just listening to it for 2 hours!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The battery size is fine in the 453 smart. If her smart has the standard radio w/o an amp, woofer and extra speakers her radio will consume an extremely small amount of power and will not be drained down just listening to it for 2 hours!
Everything went fine at the drive-in....it stayed on for the whole time of the movie...thank you all for the info as this is my first Smart Car and things are different.
Had to set radio to night mode so it was not so bright, but have no clue how to get the odometer area to not be so bright or to have it go off ...otherwise was a pleasant evening.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Batteries are very small on these vehicle. You can run them down fast. Just take a portable radio in the car with you.

View attachment 66429
Thing is,
I don't think we own a portable radio. I can't think of the last time I saw one in the house.
Most people I think just rely on their phone.
I guess if you go to the drive-in a lot it might be something to invest in.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thing is,
I don't think we own a portable radio. I can't think of the last time I saw one in the house.
Drive in I went to(been there 71 years) now rents you a portable radio...$4 for the night and a refundable $10 desposit....but since they already charge $10 per person, do not allow you to bring in food unless you pay $10 to do so, it is an expensive night. They do offer for free if you need a jump for a dead battery.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
The radio on button, is not exclusive to just the smart car. We have that same feature, in the Fiat, Jeep Renegrade, Fit, Accord, and the Kia Soul.

My wife, went into the Walgreen to shop. Push the radio on button.I was sitting into the Honda Fit listening music. Blue tooth, from my phone. The cars battery is the size of motor cycles. She was in there for 20 minutes. She got in, try to start the car. Dead battery. Flashing instrument panel. We called Honda care. They sent out a tow truck. Jumped the battery. He said the battery was weak. Went over to the Honda dealership. They gave us a brand new battery free, under the new car warranty.

Now I have one of these, in every car, we own.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Thing is,
I have DeWalt shop one, I listen to blue tooth off my phone, in the garage.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I really don’t listen to the radio much anymore. I subscribe, to Apple Music. With million of tunes. In all my cars. I got this Bose blue tooth speaker for Father’s Day 4 years ago. I listen to it around the house. I do have radio capabilities app on my phone.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really don’t listen to the radio much anymore. I subscribe, to Apple Music. With million of tunes. In all my cars. I got this Bose blue tooth speaker for Father’s Day 4 years ago. I listen to it around the house. I do have radio capabilities app on my phone.
View attachment 66442
I have a radio that look likes an old Victrola...plays records,tapes and has AM/FM....hardly ever use it now.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I think we have only 2 drive in movies theaters left here in KC. When we were little my brother and I used to love to sit on the hood of a our 1959 Chevy station wagon. Watch the movies. Remember watching the Mad mad mad world at one. My parents were to lazy to take us to bathroom at the concession stand. Made us pee in a tin can outside the car.

We had the neatest drive in movie Theater when I was a kid. It was modeled after a plantation house.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think we have only 2 drive in movies theaters left here in KC. When we were little my brother and I used to love to sit on the hood of a our 1959 Chevy station wagon. Watch the movies. Remember watching the Mad mad mad world at one. My parents were to lazy to take us to bathroom at the concession stand. Made us pee in a tin can outside the car.

We had the neatest drive in movie Theater when I was a kid. It was modeled after a plantation house.
View attachment 66455
I just read that OHIO has the most drive ins still in existence in the whole US.......surprised they still are around.
We as kids used to walk into the drive in as they would not charge you if you did...then we would get into our cousins car who drove in and leave with them.
The charges now are a bit out of sight but it is nice to still see them standing.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The radio on button, is not exclusive to just the smart car. We have that same feature, in the Fiat, Jeep Renegrade, Fit, Accord, and the Kia Soul.

My wife, went into the Walgreen to shop. Push the radio on button.I was sitting into the Honda Fit listening music. Blue tooth, from my phone. The cars battery is the size of motor cycles. She was in there for 20 minutes. She got in, try to start the car. Dead battery. Flashing instrument panel. We called Honda care. They sent out a tow truck. Jumped the battery. He said the battery was weak. Went over to the Honda dealership. They gave us a brand new battery free, under the new car warranty.

Now I have one of these, in every car, we own.
I may be mistaken, but last i looked, i'm pretty sure the 451 and 453 batteries are MUCH bigger than that of a motorcycle. More like close to standard car size batteries.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts