Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update: 5 weeks to the day from when we ordered, we've been informed that our new smart has been built.

Now, waiting for shipping information.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Almost two months to the day our new smart has arrived at the dealer. We were able to track it's journey on the Fidelio from Europe to Baltimore.

First photo the dealer sent us, we'll pick it up tomorrow!

Given we only had 5 color choices (black, silver, white, matte silver, or yellow) we're happy with the Silver and Anthracite combination, it's actually quite uncommon. You see a lot of smarts that are silver and black or silver on silver like the Brabus models, but the Anthracite is a relatively late model option and is very hard to find. Even photos on the net are few and far between of the silver with anthracite cars.

The anthracite also goes nice with the painted accents on the Brabus wheels and the details on the Crystal Grey Leather interior.

Will post more photos when we get the car.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You also have the custom color option?

For around $1500 you can get the panels painted any color you want (A little more if you want the tridion painted as well)?

This is only an option if you OWN the vehicle.

My experience is that smartUSA won't let you custom paint a LEASED vehicle?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You also have the custom color option?

For around $1500 you can get the panels painted any color you want (A little more if you want the tridion painted as well)?

This is only an option if you OWN the vehicle.

My experience is that smartUSA won't let you custom paint a LEASED vehicle?
We looked into the custom color option, but the prices we were quoted were pretty steep (like $3500 for the panels and $2000 for the tridion), the car was already pretty expensive for a smart. There also seemed to be an air of confusion from the dealer about actually ordering a custom color, like they never did that before and we just didn't want to go through the hassle.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Nice combo! Make sure you get wheel insurance on those Brabus 6-spokes. Before getting my car, I read that they're very soft and bend easily, so I picked up the insurance. I'm hyper vigilant about avoid potholes and such, and I was recently informed by the dealer that both front wheels are bent at only 4,200 miles on the odometer.

P.S. I see that you're in southeastern PA. We'll have to meet up some time and compare our unique fortwos (mine has the BoConcept edition-exclusive matte white panels) :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nice combo! Make sure you get wheel insurance on those Brabus 6-spokes. Before getting my car, I read that they're very soft and bend easily, so I picked up the insurance. I'm hyper vigilant about avoid potholes and such, and I was recently informed by the dealer that both front wheels are bent at only 4,200 miles on the odometer.

P.S. I see that you're in southeastern PA. We'll have to meet up some time and compare our unique fortwos (mine has the BoConcept edition-exclusive matte white panels) :)
Thanks! Not our first color choice, but we like it. It's different without being too different.

I did read that the Brabus wheels are soft, thanks for the heads-up on the insurance. I didn't even know that was an option.

My friend has bent two wheels on his Mini Cooper, luckily he found a set of four of the same on craigslist pretty cheap, we probably wouldn't be so lucky with the smart.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks! Not our first color choice, but we like it. It's different without being too different.

I did read that the Brabus wheels are soft, thanks for the heads-up on the insurance. I didn't even know that was an option.

My friend has bent two wheels on his Mini Cooper, luckily he found a set of four of the same on craigslist pretty cheap, we probably wouldn't be so lucky with the smart.
No problem! Which dealer are you using?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No problem! Which dealer are you using?
West Chester, we also tried Devon, but West Chester actually acted like they wanted to sell us a car. I've been to Devon for service and it was a mixed bag experience as far as that goes too. West Chester has been pleasant to deal with so far.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That is REALLY a sharp color combination, and one that wouldn't have occurred to me.
Thank you very much. I think it will look even better in person, the anthracite is extra sparkly (Brilliant Anthracite) and silver never seems to photograph well on any car.

Given the options, we went for the Anthracite Tridion just because the other options were too common (black) or too odd for our taste (Strike Red). To me a smart isn't a smart unless it has a contrasting Tridion, so silver like a Brabus was out.

We really wanted blue with a blue top, but perhaps we'd have tired of that and keeping the blue top fresh looking might have been a challenge.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
We picked up our new smart this morning, couldn't be happier with our selection. The car looks nicer in person than it does in the photographs. The Crystal Grey Leather interior package is outstandingly nice. I think if I could only have one option on any smart, the CGL would be it!

Here is a few photos, I'll add a few of the interior when it warms up a bit outside!

One is a photo with our 2008 trade, we kind of felt sad letting it go.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nice combo! Make sure you get wheel insurance on those Brabus 6-spokes.
We took your advice and got the wheel/tire/windshield/ding insurance.

Current price on the smart was $735.00 and covers wheels, tires and windshield and body dings for 5 years. Not sure the ding insurance will be needed on the smart, but it was part of the package.

·
17,358 Posts
We picked up our new smart this morning, couldn't be happier with our selection. The car looks nicer in person than it does in the photographs. The Crystal Grey Leather interior package is outstandingly nice. I think if I could only have one option on any smart, the CGL would be it!

Here is a few photos, I'll add a few of the interior when it warms up a bit outside!

One is a photo with our 2008 trade, we kind of felt sad letting it go.

I'm usually not a huge fan of grays...but wow, you've chosen a splendid colour combination!

The only thing I would do (because for some odd reason, smart no longer does this), is make the grille surround match the Tridion.

Have fun!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Car looks great! Would love to see it in-person some day.
I'm usually not a huge fan of grays...but wow, you've chosen a splendid colour combination!

The only thing I would do (because for some odd reason, smart no longer does this), is make the grille surround match the Tridion.

Have fun!!
Thank you!

It doesn't always show that way in the photos, but the grill trim is painted body color. I don't care for it in photos, but in person it looks good. I will miss the chrome grill on the 2008, I've considered chroming the 2015 grill somehow, but we'll see.

Other details that you don't notice in the photos are the anthracite Tridion matches the painted shadow areas of the Brabus wheels and also matches the sides of the leather seats. This is very visible when the door is open, of course.

The body crease detail on the door also appears to be shadowed the same color as the anthracite, in certain lighting.

It's a very subtle car but has great details. I think it looks classy for a smart. The brighter colors look more fun, for lack of a better way to put it. My wife and I are in our 50s, so it suits us.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
The Crystal Grey interior will really compliment the exterior and brighten it up.
Looks wonderful and especially like the older car pictured next to the new one. :D

·
17,358 Posts
It doesn't always show that way in the photos, but the grill trim is painted body color. I don't care for it in photos, but in person it looks good. I will miss the chrome grill on the 2008, I've considered chroming the 2015 grill somehow, but we'll see.
Oh I know! :)

On the pre-facelift smarts, the grille surround was the same colour as the Tridion, whereas the grille surround only comes in silver now (unless you change the colour yourself or buy a special edition).

And you could get it a chrome wrap? :shrug:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The Crystal Grey interior will really compliment the exterior and brighten it up.
Looks wonderful and especially like the older car pictured next to the new one. :D
We actually did feel sad trading the 2008, I hope it goes to someone nice, it is a nice car.

Smart did a nice job with the interior, the coarse tweed-type dark inserts in the seats and door panels balance out the lighter color of the leather, the interior even has a masculine feel to it, I was concerned the light leather would appear girly.

Oh I know! :)

On the pre-facelift smarts, the grille surround was the same colour as the Tridion, whereas the grille surround only comes in silver now (unless you change the colour yourself or buy a special edition).

And you could get it a chrome wrap? :shrug:
Yes! I've looked into the newer ultra flexible chrome wrap material and I think I might give it a try at some point. We have chrome mirror covers, the chrome hatch trim, and chrome door handle inserts from smart for the car, just not sure how long we'll wait to put them on. Probably when the car doesn't feel "new" anymore.

I guess I'm an old-timer . . . every car needs some chrome!

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,238 Posts
In my opinion, the car looks brilliant as it is. If it were mine, I would not add any additional chrome and I am an older guy than you. I think it has just enough anthracite accents with the tridion and mirror caps. I would paint the brake drums and rotor hats a nice matte black to further highlight the Brabus wheels. You really have a one of a kind smart, you should be proud.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
In my opinion, the car looks brilliant as it is. If it were mine, I would not add any additional chrome and I am an older guy than you. I think it has just enough anthracite accents with the tridion and mirror caps. I would paint the brake drums and rotor hats a nice matte black to further highlight the Brabus wheels. You really have a one of a kind smart, you should be proud.
I agree with your opinion, thanks. I probably won't chrome anything on the car for quite some time . . . okay, maybe the chrome strip on the trunk.

Good idea on painting the drums and rotors, I can see where covering the grey would look nicer.

Even the dealership said it probably is one of a kind. Crystal Grey Leather is pretty uncommon and the Silver with Anthracite is also scarce. We searched inventory all over the country and only a few Silver w/ Anthracite cars were out there and only a few CGL cars, but no cars with both.

If you've read from the beginning of the thread, it was quite difficult for us to make a decision on the color combination, but in the end we're very happy with the result and we appreciate all of the feedback.

We're hoping the thread will help other people with their choices too.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts