Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that is what it is called....it says it is due for maintenance in 10 days but the only thing it is due for is an oil change at 30,000 miles and I am only at 21,000....any other maintenance required before 30,000 that you all know of?????????
And if I need an oil change can any place do it or do I have to deal with Toyota again or a Mercedes dealership, as that is where I bought the car....some of you know that story LOL.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I change my own oil, buy it at Costco and the filter from Rock Auto.

The reset is done by holding in a button (I don't remember which one right off) for some fair amount of time.

I'm sure others will chime in with more data.

S u b R o s a

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would be surprised if any "quick" oil change shop has the proper filter in stock....maybe buy one and bring it with you. Resetting the maintenance mileage is done through the menu in the instrument cluster. Download the owners manual here: download vehicle manuals | smart USA

It is a rather easy do it yourself process....(although the 451 was much easier!), and doing it yourself, you can make sure it's done correctly. I've done mine twice in the last 6 months myself...it saves quite a lot of $$ from going to a dealer. I found this video very helpful:

I bought the BECK/ARNLEY Filter as I believe that is what is OEM.

2017 SMART FORTWO 898cc L3 Turbocharged Oil Filter | RockAuto

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
6 Posts
You hold the button on your left-hand side while the car is just turned on and you’re not started you have to hold it for it seems like 45 seconds as soon as the all white striped blanket and keep holding onto it and then you’ll see a recent total and then you have to answer yes or no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The maintenance reminder can be reset much more easily on the 453 than on the 451. The procedure should be described in your manual - if you have one. Go to the next to last screen on your dash where you see the mileage reminder. The center button has to be held down for several seconds. Don’t remember if the motor must be running.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be surprised if any "quick" oil change shop has the proper filter in stock....maybe buy one and bring it with you. Resetting the maintenance mileage is done through the menu in the instrument cluster. Download the owners manual here: download vehicle manuals | smart USA

It is a rather easy do it yourself process....(although the 451 was much easier!), and doing it yourself, you can make sure it's done correctly. I've done mine twice in the last 6 months myself...it saves quite a lot of $$ from going to a dealer. I found this video very helpful:

I bought the BECK/ARNLEY Filter as I believe that is what is OEM.

2017 SMART FORTWO 898cc L3 Turbocharged Oil Filter | RockAuto

View attachment 67082
Can not change my on oil...where I live it is not permitted and also I just do not have the tools nor the stamina.....Toyota will probably not have the right filter either which means I will have to drive over 50miles to the Mercedes dealership and pay whatever they will charge for a lousy oil change...which right now is not even due till 30,000miles...and at 21,000 miles and me only driving about 1,000 miles a year it will take me almost 9 years to get to that...LOLLLLLLLLLL

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here is the 'right' wrench for that 8mm square drive oil plug:

Tool Bicycle part Wood Bumper Composite material

BTW, the '16 453 had several part numbers for the oil filter, make sure what you order matches what you have. Mine looks like a gas mask cartridge, same as shown in the video.
SR

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the 'right' wrench for that 8mm square drive oil plug:

View attachment 67084

BTW, the '16 453 had several part numbers for the oil filter, make sure what you order matches what you have. Mine looks like a gas mask cartridge, same as shown in the video.
SR
oil change not permitted where I live....probably have to pay a fortune to get it done at Mercedes dealership.....

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
You can buy a filter from Amazon and take your car to most any place that does oil changes. Just need to make certain they have the square end wrench to remove the drain plug and the proper sized socket to remove oil filter cover. Also, you could buy each tool and allow the place you select to change your oil to use them. It’s not a rocket science job.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can not change my on oil...where I live it is not permitted and also I just do not have the tools nor the stamina.....Toyota will probably not have the right filter either which means I will have to drive over 50miles to the Mercedes dealership and pay whatever they will charge for a lousy oil change...which right now is not even due till 30,000miles...and at 21,000 miles and me only driving about 1,000 miles a year it will take me almost 9 years to get to that...LOLLLLLLLLLL
Oil should be changed at least annually..... Like I said, buy a filter from the link I sent you and take it with you.
In the records that came with my Smart, the charge for an oil change was $180 from a Mercedes dealer

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oil should be changed at least annually..... Like I said, buy a filter from the link I sent you and take it with you.
In the records that came with my Smart, the charge for an oil change was $180 from a Mercedes dealer View attachment 67086 .....
$180 for an oil change.....hope they take me to dinner as well. I looked up on car fax and it says an oil change for my car in my area should be about $45...think they better check that again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just looked at my car fax here was the last oil change....
Last Oil Change
07/20/2020 | 19,572 Miles
by Toyota of Warren
  • Vehicle serviced
  • Pre-delivery inspection completed
  • Fluids checked
  • Oil and filter changed
I right now have 21,811 miles....why have oil change with only driving 2,239 miles??????

·
Registered
75 Posts
Service reset..On the steering wheel, select the menu's, go down to service reminder/reset display, hold the OK button, the display flashes, keep holding the button, and wait till it stops flashing and is set back at 12,000 miles. This can take what feels like two minutes, but just keep holding button. (This reset is useful as the service reminder can easily go wrong and give you a reminder months before it is necessary for a service. It does on my 453. I have had to reset it many times, its just weird electronic glitches you get sometimes on the 453)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Service reset..On the steering wheel, select the menu's, go down to service reminder/reset display, hold the button, the display flashes, keep holding the button, and wait till it stops flashing and is set back at 12,000 miles. This can take what feels like two minutes, but just keep holding button. (This reset is useful as the service reminder can easily go wrong and give you a reminder months before it is necessary for a service. It does on my 453. I have had to reset it many times, its just weird electronic glitches you get sometimes on the 453)
Thank you so much...everything else on my car was inspected and serviced back a few months ago when other repairs were needed at Mercedes and I am sure an oil change was not needed.....will reset....thanks.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
388 Posts
Service reset..On the steering wheel, select the menu's, go down to service reminder/reset display, hold the OK button, the display flashes, keep holding the button, and wait till it stops flashing and is set back at 12,000 miles. This can take what feels like two minutes, but just keep holding button. (This reset is useful as the service reminder can easily go wrong and give you a reminder months before it is necessary for a service. It does on my 453. I have had to reset it many times, its just weird electronic glitches you get sometimes on the 453)
Yeah, mine just popped up with a count down service reminder, but reset to 10,000 miles! Weird. Oh well..🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yah... The old adage of 3000mi\3mos was in the carburetor era! I go 10k on my Smart with full syn. I guess I'll have to clean and re-oil the K&N next service.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The one thing i cannot stand with the service reminder on the 453, is the 30 day countdown to the service.

I see 30 days to service, then 29 days to service, then 28 days to service,
I feel it is a countdown for a bomb to explode in the car :D

So when the service reminder does comes up, I just reset it right away LOL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts