Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I still post questions in this forum without being chewed out? I have enjoyed reading others comments and helpful suggestions on a wide variety of topics in here. I hope that you (forum members) don't treat every new comer with such negativity. I think that some of you are just mad at the world and have no other outlet to express this than to belittle others. That's too bad. I think this forum has real possibilities but I am now hesitant to ask anything for fear of negative feedback and irate responses.:shrug:

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
sorry you got the negative vibe, mostly we are a fun loving group of maniacs that are a bit crazy about smart cars. Unfortunately a lot of newbie members ask questions about things that have been discussed to death and some of the old timers on here get wary of answering the same questions over and over. Thus the comment about search being your friend and such.
It is always a good idea to check a topic with the search function to see if there has been someone with the same question and most of the time you will find a number of answers. The search function is kind of tough to use as it doesn't always find everything in different categories.
sometimes you will have to ignore the off hand remarks Sometimes they are made as a joke and could be taken the wrong way. There are specific rules about personal attacks and we don't take them lightly. The rules are listed in the FAQ section at the top of the page (in the red bar, to the right) If you feel a post is out of line, use the triangle with the exclamation point in it to report the offending post. It will be reviewed and the proper steps will be taken (per the FAQ terms of service)
You can always do a private message to myself (jimvw57)or Jwight, (moderators) with any concerns.. Hope this helps.

P.S. welcome back! Feb 2011 to Sept 2017 is along time away without a post. Glad you found us again!!

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
I know how you feel Nikosmart. I used to live to get on this forum and answer questions. But it only takes a couple all knowing ones to ruin it and "smart off" when someone is merely trying to help. That ruined it for me on top of no more gas Fortwos and then photobucket folded to free users and all the hundreds of pics I had posted that went along with all my posts are now gone. There's no way to go back and edit old posts to replace the now missing pictures. It's a shame. I still love my car, but just keep my new projects to myself and the forum runs everyday without me. DCO

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Nikosmart, I remember you fondly, welcome back!!! My username was Neonspinnazz back then!

I’m an IT Analyst by career. I’d say 90% of the problems I analyze are issues I’ve fixed before. I find absolutely nothing wrong about that. In fact, I feel it keeps my mind sharp about those issues.

Likewise with smarts, I’m perfectly fine with answering the same question more than once. I mean we’re ten years into this now, so I think the days of truly unique issues are pretty much few and far in between. I don’t know, I myself don’t really take issue about spending the minute of time to type out an answer to help a fellow smart lover out. :)

With that said, always feel free to drop me a PM. I may not respond right away (admittedly I’m a little forgetful) but I always will respond. And uh, now that I think about it, I’ll also start offering my direct number to people too. That’s actually the best way to get an immediate answer on an issue.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Nikosmart, in any forum you will want to use the Search function first, you may find a wealth of information rather than waiting for forum replies. Personally I don't like waiting and try to find on my own. The search function works well if you use single words of what you are looking for. SCoA is a great resource for your smart needs. Try to look past the irritation and join a long running group of fellow smarts.

A forum search tip: If you are looking for windshield wiper, try putting the phrase in quotes "windshield wiper" in the search box - that will return results with that phrase. Else searching for windshield wiper will return windshield OR wiper - probably too much info.

You can also use the internet to search for what you are looking for; there are many YouTube vids of repairs and tips on smart ownership.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I know how you feel Nikosmart. I used to live to get on this forum and answer questions. But it only takes a couple all knowing ones to ruin it and "smart off" when someone is merely trying to help. That ruined it for me on top of no more gas Fortwos and then photobucket folded to free users and all the hundreds of pics I had posted that went along with all my posts are now gone. There's no way to go back and edit old posts to replace the now missing pictures. It's a shame. I still love my car, but just keep my new projects to myself and the forum runs everyday without me. DCO
Sorry to have lost you as a contributer, but you hit the nail on the head.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,575 Posts
If an older member does not want to take a minute or two to answer a newbie's question, then please don't take the time to offer a smart aleck comment. We are already seeing a down turn in forum traffic and we don't need to send new possible long term members away.

I will become a 10 year member next month and have really enjoyed my time here. Most everyone has been really helpful and kind to me and I do appreciate it.

As long term members, let's try to grow our forum, not discourage new people who come here for a visit.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
If an older member does not want to take a minute or two to answer a newbie's question,
The OP is not a newbie, Feb 2010, is not new. 7 years is more than should be needed to figure out how to use the site. The internet is not a place to coddle people, leave that up to the OP's parents.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
I used to live to get on this forum and answer questions. But it only takes a couple all knowing ones to ruin it and "smart off" when someone is merely trying to help.

I still love my car, but just keep my new projects to myself and the forum runs everyday without me. DCO
DCO, missing you and your desire to dig into some well documented smart mods.

Yes, we all are disappointed in the direction the brand has taken but smart can live on through a more civil Forum for existing owners and new adoptees.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,575 Posts
The OP is not a newbie, Feb 2010, is not new. 7 years is more than should be needed to figure out how to use the site. The internet is not a place to coddle people, leave that up to the OP's parents.
We have mods to tell people that they are not using the forum to the best of their ability. It is not my place to chastise other members, and in my opinion, not yours either.

It's too easy to find fault with others. I would rather have a fun, friendly forum to enjoy on a daily basis.

I read things here daily that I may not agree with, but I refuse to call out someone just to be a wise guy.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
direct quote:

Response to Comments
If you have a problem with another member's comments in a posted thread, do not respond with any further comments that will aggravate the situation but take the issue to the Private Messaging system or offline. Reacting to a hostile post with more hostility also puts you in jeopardy, and may result in moderation*.

we usually try to let members work it out and only jump in when we need to. It wouldn't hurt for members to review the Terms Of Service from time to time.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
The amusing thing is that in the time that it takes to write out a response calling out someone for not using the search function, one could have also just answered the question.

The world’s tough enough to live in as it is (and harder for some than others), let’s be kind to each other. <3

Also, let me be the first to say that the search function built into SCoA sucks.

Usually I go out to Google, then do this: [Thing I’m searching for] site:smartcarofamerica.com

Usually the thing I’m looking for will be on page 1 or 2

·
Registered
933 Posts
The amusing thing is that in the time that it takes to write out a response calling out someone for not using the search function, one could have also just answered the question.

The world’s tough enough to live in as it is (and harder for some than others), let’s be kind to each other. <3

Also, let me be the first to say that the search function built into SCoA sucks.

Usually I go out to Google, then do this: [Thing I’m searching for] site:smartcarofamerica.com

Usually the thing I’m looking for will be on page 1 or 2
You Rock . :yelclap:

·
Registered
883 Posts
A simple question could be responded to. I have found when I am looking for more detailed info; ie, towing a smart behind an RV, there were pages and pages of info - not a simple response. The search box is like on any forum, learn how to use it and it will give in return.

I also use self check out at the grocery store, maybe I am in a unique class (smiley face).

I have been growled at too early on in the forum when I requested info - when I further stated why I was asking the question I was responded to with the information.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
direct quote:

Response to Comments
If you have a problem with another member's comments in a posted thread, do not respond with any further comments that will aggravate the situation but take the issue to the Private Messaging system or offline. Reacting to a hostile post with more hostility also puts you in jeopardy, and may result in moderation*.

we usually try to let members work it out and only jump in when we need to. It wouldn't hurt for members to review the Terms Of Service from time to time.
If members would just use everyday common courtesy and patients we wouldn't even need a terms of service as such. There is 3 members on here that consistently use smart aleck answers occasionally to show their annoyance to someone else. I won't name names but it's sad because all 3 have been members on here for a long time. We all need help sometimes on our Fortwo's. I have learned alot on this forum from others and from my projects and experiences I like to think I might have helped a few others. There are so many good people on this forum. I could name everyone of you and you each bring a unique prospective to the forum. NO belittling comments people. If you want to not help someones question then just DON't Respond. But usually in the time it takes to post a degrading comment, you could have answered the question. I will gladly answer ANY question I can. DCO

·
Registered
933 Posts
If members would just use everyday common courtesy and patients we wouldn't even need a terms of service as such. There is 3 members on here that consistently use smart aleck answers occasionally to show their annoyance to someone else. I won't name names but it's sad because all 3 have been members on here for a long time. We all need help sometimes on our Fortwo's. I have learned alot on this forum from others and from my projects and experiences I like to think I might have helped a few others. There are so many good people on this forum. I could name everyone of you and you each bring a unique prospective to the forum. NO belittling comments people. If you want to not help someones question then just DON't Respond. But usually in the time it takes to post a degrading comment, you could have answered the question. I will gladly answer ANY question I can. DCO
Bravo, well said Sir. Couldn't had said it better myself.............Seems like common sense. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
A few things I learned recently.

Sometimes I may have forgotten to search, and sometimes the search doesn’t work well. I guess it is a part of growing old.

Even using the “wrong browser” has significant effect on the forum performance. I recently used the restore feature on Windows to do a fresh installation as it wasn’t running anything anymore, basically. Of course that wiped out my Google Chrome and Firefox browsers. Using Internet Explorer I had a very much difficult time just posting here! At one point I had a Smart Madness banner ad in the middle of the response box and I could not see what I was typing. The rest of the time I could barely type a thing, the cursor I noticed started blinking very rapidly, and I would have to click outside the response box and then click back where I wanted to type almost every letter or few letters. Someone recently noted this site was the strangest acting site he/she has been on, and on Internet Explorer I am not surprised!!!

Usually someone answers.... So ask away. We can help search too, it the question has had lengthy discussion in the past....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts