Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried multiple times to use "Charge & Depart" but it never seems to do anything. I thought that if I set a departure time of 8am but plugged the car in at 10am the day before, that charging would begin at some time early the next day, like 4am or something. But when I walk back out at 4:30pm to check the car is already at 100%. I've read the manual over and over, it never states explicitly that charging will be delayed, but it sure implies it. Am I confused? Is this just for turning on the AC or Heat? This is what I see when I go out to look at 4:30pm. The battery was at about 30% when I parked it at 10am.
Thanks for any wisdom you can share!

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,677 Posts
“Is this just for turning on the AC or Heat?” Yes!

If your Heat/Air AND FAN is not set to a temp beyond the ambient temperature at the “selected” departure time, you will notice no change in the interior.

Like you, living in a mild climate I use mine on cold mornings as it will also protect your “range” as the initial heating was done while on the EVSE.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The "charge and depart" feature is supposed to:

1. Delay or throttle back charging so charging is "just completed" before the set departure time.

2. Preheat of precool the car before the departure time. The temperature it preheats or precools to is a factory setting and is not adjustable.

Only number 2 works. (At least that is the case for N. American ED's.)

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
The “Charge & Depart” feature worked better while the FREE Daimler vehicle webpage (app) was functional.

Sadly the demise of 2G with no upgrade (as provided by Leaf/Nissan) path ended the one EV feature unique to 451 ED and Daimler EV products.

Note, the M-B B-Class ED (Range of 87 miles) utilized a clone of the 451 webpage.

Casual reading - EvAccess Android app for Smart Electric Drive

·
Registered
43 Posts
I usually discover the ED is charged to 100% no matter what the plan of the day was, so I end up driving around the island for a bit to burn it down to ~95%. In the Tesla you would see the battery being depleted in a linear fashion so after just a few miles there would be a noticeable drop on the screen. Tesla originally (in 2012) indicated pretty much accurate readings, no safety margin built in at all. But in the ED the gauge just stays there so after 5 or 6 miles you arrive home still at 100%. This was indeed frustrating until one day I turned the car back ON and noticed that now the gauge reads ~95%. Aha !! So Daimler continues with their (and every other ICE maker's) absurd practice of tailoring the fuel gauge reading to fool the driver into thinking "wow this car uses hardly any fuel at all". But this is just so idiotic in an EV.
VR. PNW. USofA
--

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
I have tried multiple times to use "Charge & Depart" but it never seems to do anything.

Thanks for any wisdom you can share!
Not my "wisdom" but rather a 2/26/2012 write-up by Daimler (EURO version thus the Centigrade) in advance of the ED Gen III release.

Pre-conditioning

As a special comfort feature, the vehicle interior of the smart fortwo electric drive can be preheated or pre-cooled.
The pre-conditioning function can be set using the multifunction display.

Requirements:
• Charging cable plugged in and connected to external power supply
• Charge level of high-voltage battery (SOC) at least 30%
• Temperature in interior below 18 °C or above 24 °C

Pre-conditioning starts 35 minutes before departure at the earliest and is maintained for a maximum of 5 minutes after the programmed departure time. The actual start of pre-conditioning depends on the ambient temperature and the temperature in the vehicle interior.

The high-voltage PTC heater is switched on at interior temperatures below 18 °C. The heat output is adjusted so that an interior temperature of 18 °C is reached 5 minutes before the programmed departure time. The electric refrigerant compressor is switched on at interior temperatures above 24 °C. The cooling output is adjusted so that an interior temperature of 24 °C is reached 5 minutes before the programmed departure time. The blower is always operated at stage 2 in this case. The temperature preselected on the heater/AC operating unit has no influence on preconditioning.

The air distribution cannot be influenced by preconditioning. The customer must set the air distribution to the desired direction when the vehicle is parked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts