Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
silly question ive been driving my 2008 smart car for awhile now, i like it nothing wrong, but people at work keep asking me why it only gets 42mpg?, is their anything more unique about the car over a ford, toyota and some other cars that get 42mpg+ because they keep saying their car gets better etc. so if someone knows the difference let me know

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
it's a fair question... now! When it came out nothing could touch it for mpg, but now there are several cars with more utility that get basically the same mpg; so, I think it's a fair question for them to ask. It is partly the design of course. Edison II team put a smart engine in their VLC (very light car) and got over 80 mpg. Their car was much lighter and much more aerodynamic. The new smart should get near 50 mpg and will likely have gas direct injection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are fun cares, its not my 300+ hp subaru but its a good commuter car, any suggestions in what to upgrade? I want to replace headlights with hid, I need a stiffer suspension better at cornering though any suggestions

·
Registered
521 Posts
silly question ive been driving my 2008 smart car for awhile now, i like it nothing wrong, but people at work keep asking me why it only gets 42mpg?, is their anything more unique about the car over a ford, toyota and some other cars that get 42mpg+ because they keep saying their car gets better etc. so if someone knows the difference let me know

A ford or toyota sounds pretty basic compared to a smart. A smart offers one of the funnest driving experiences and is overall a unique little car that stands out amongst every other car on the road. I'd say it looks way better than this.

Its the smallest legal car in the US and its half the size of a regular car and it gets great gas mileage so i don't see what the issue is? Why would a car of its size get an astronomical amount of MPG? A smaller car doesn't mean better gas mileage, the car is smaller! Less space for more efficient drivetrains, parts etc.

Also if they say anything about seats more than 70,000,000 empty seats are driven around every day so why drive around with all of those unused seats? Heck the second seat in my smart is barely used so i could do with just 1 seat.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Our 42 mpg is real world and when a Ford advertises that their CMax gets 47mpg their real world mpg was less than 37. So be aware that each company rates their own cars and then advertises that figure...go figure! I can and have legally parked in places that only a smart could fit and saved a bunch of green each time. Their copy cat, run of the mill, or cookie cutter car can't come close to the cool lines that grace our smarts...even if those lines are, let's say, interesting. With companies like Boesch Built, Smart Madness, Uptown Dog, and others the smart car is a great canvas that just begs to become a piece of art. Try doing that with a Prius (that really seems to get the high mpgs.) We are driving technology that came from the early 2000s and the cars they want to compare us to are early 2010s...not exactly a fair comparison. Let them compare the new smart model to theirs and they will quiet down.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I believe the engine is a bit small for the car forcing it to work harder. A hard worked small engine will use more fuel than a slightly bigger engine that loafs a little more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

They think it should get better mpg for the size etc, i still don't know much about my own car other then I like it and i can go through good size puddles without hydroplaning. I'm really impressed by the mercedes service when I take it in, they treat you awesome and so friendly even knowing I just have a smart car lol, definitely class..

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Unfortunately, you are dealing with human nature here. Everybody suffers from the "mine is better" syndrome.

I have a lady I work with that swore her Hyundai Sonata(which she recently traded) consistently achieved 47 mpg on the highway. Another guy I work with told me my 43+ mpg wasn't that impressive because his GMC 4 door, long bed, 4WD, diesel truck achieved a consistent 33 mpg on the highway(yeah right:rolleyes:). The list goes on.

My smart is the only vehicle I have ever owned that has consistently beat the EPA estimate. I check virtually every tank, my life-long average is 43+ mpg. A lot of folks "think" their car does better than it actually does. Most cars are lucky to equal the EPA estimate going down hill with a tailwind.... Take a Ford Fiesta, and throw 4 people in it and see if it still gets 41 mpg....

Are there higher mpg cars out now? Sure, but virtually all are hybrids, and you will pay at least $10K more for them than the smart. $10K buys a lot of gas, and you don't have to deal with the huge battery pack at some point down the road.

Personally, I don't give a rats @ss what others think of my smart, or why I bought it. It has served me very well, and I plan on driving it for a very long time. It makes me smile every time I drive it, and it fills the need I have for transportation.

It's funny, I have one of the highest mileage smarts on the forum, and the discussions I have now with folks are more about the quality and longevity of my car than the mpgs. I recently crossed 147K miles, and outside of normal maintenance, I have put $50 in this car. I can't complain. This car has more than paid for itself in the 5 1/2 years I've owned it. I've saved more in fuel and repair costs than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I've been stuck in the middle of this horrible cold & snow the last few days, and my smart has been outside taking every minute of it. I went outside yesterday to thaw it out and get ready for work this morning, and guess what? -7 out yesterday, I put the key in, and it started almost instantly. I can't ask for anything more than that....:D

So to the OP, I say: let your co-workers talk trash about your smart. Just go outside look at it, and remind yourself that you are driving one of the most efficent, coolest, and most fun vehicles for sale today. When you look at it, doesn't it make you smile? Try that with a Ford or Toyota....:cool:

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
A ford or toyota sounds pretty basic compared to a smart. A smart offers one of the funnest driving experiences and is overall a unique little car that stands out amongst every other car on the road. I'd say it looks way better than this.

Its the smallest legal car in the US and its half the size of a regular car and it gets great gas mileage so i don't see what the issue is? Why would a car of its size get an astronomical amount of MPG? A smaller car doesn't mean better gas mileage, the car is smaller! Less space for more efficient drivetrains, parts etc.

Also if they say anything about seats more than 70,000,000 empty seats are driven around every day so why drive around with all of those unused seats? Heck the second seat in my smart is barely used so i could do with just 1 seat.
~Ford ~ I NEVER EVER OWNED A FORD ~ hmmmmmmmmm~
The PEOPLE have Voted with their Wallets, and the sales numbers are in... Could ALL these people be idiots with their buying decision. I think they found value in the cars concept & exicution.
Smart sales numbers are immeasurable compared to how many miles it is from the Earth to the Moon. Again the People have spoken with their Wallets. Sad, But True.
We Smart Car People fall into a category of people known to the World, as "CULT (odd) Car Enthusiast". We wear our Badge Proudly...<:))

·
17,379 Posts
To answer this very question, I made this four or so years ago. Some of it is outdated, but much of it is still true.

NEON & SMART CAR

The funny thing is, their more expensive Prius or hybrid whatever will take several years to pay off the difference from not buying a fuel efficient non-hybrid car.

In fact, based on my 2010 calculations, a Prius takes at least 30-90 years to offset the cost of not buying a fuel efficient non-hybrid.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I just tell them I didn't buy the car just for the gas mileage. I bought it because it's small and fun. Good gas mileage is a side benefit.
I have to agree that if it was about mileage, we'd all be driving a Prius. After five and a half years of ownership and a little more time than that on this forum, it's a personal choice and the reasons people drive (and keep driving) a smart is as varied as the people doing it.

·
He's not mine
9,611 Posts
I can truthfully say fuel efficiency was not a factor in my purchase decision. Naturally, if it was horrible then that would've been a deciding factor against the purchase. But, it's better than most cars on the road in this department. For a non-hybrid, I think it's near or at the top of the list.

Most of the important reasons have already been described in this thread though. For me, one important consideration was that I did not want another vanilla car. The smart definitely fills the bill for someone who wants to drive something different. :)

I've had it since July 2008 and have yet to have a serious issue with it. I can't say that about any other car I've ever owned. Been a licensed driver since 1971.

Oh, and seating? In 5.5 years I've carried a single passenger on perhaps a half dozen occasions. Once or twice a back seat would've been convenient. But, 99.9% of the time the passenger seat is folded down, serving me as an arm rest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
it's a fair question... now! When it came out nothing could touch it for mpg, but now there are several cars with more utility that get basically the same mpg; so, I think it's a fair question for them to ask. It is partly the design of course. Edison II team put a smart engine in their VLC (very light car) and got over 80 mpg. Their car was much lighter and much more aerodynamic. The new smart should get near 50 mpg and will likely have gas direct injection.
My 2014 gets 50mpg (H'way) not far behind in city driving maybe 2 mpg less

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
My 2014 gets 50mpg (H'way) not far behind in city driving maybe 2 mpg less
yours would be the only one! you might be able to get tgat momentarily, or downhill with a stiff wind, but unless you are hypermilling, or doing something extraordinary, it's not possible to do with a 451.

I have never read one professional reviewer praise anything on this car they all hate it. Especially the transmission..:(
it is perhaps the car's least sophisticated feature. it doesn't bother the devoted, but most find it odd.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts