Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I damaged this park getting out of a tight parking spot. Any suggestions how to cover the damage or where I can find a replacement part that won't cost a fortune?:confused:

·
17,379 Posts
The smart's parts are very inexpensive. Your smart center could replace it at a very low cost (like around $150 + labor?)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That being the lower vailence might be fairly inexpensive compared to the actual panels... There is also a product out that hides those plasticy scrapes, but it escapes me.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Is is just the lower black plastic valance that is damaged? You should be able to pick one up brand new from smart for less than $100. Installation is just a few screws and clips, so you can easily do it yourself.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I don't think those lower valence panels are too expensive. IIRC the rear is something like $40 - $50 so I would think the front would be about the same or a bit more. Swap it out yourself - pretty easy.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, check with your local dealer, it might be cheaper than you think. My rally red rear fender (substantially larger and more unique due to the color) was only $143.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Since it is already scuffed up, I'd give some abrasives a try. maybe some 400 grit followed by a Scotch pad to give it that matte finish. If you want it perfect, replace it. Might be fun to play with and see what you get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Consider removing this panel - see evilution.co.uk and have your local body shop sand, prime (use thick) and paint the panel. Your smart will look even sharper when you match this with the other panels in color. I painted all 4 of my black lower panels red for about $250

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your Recommendations

I decided to buy a can of black plastic dip spray. I sanded the surface a bit and sprayed on a couple of heavy coats. Between layers I would squeegee off the surface paint, filling in the scratches. I came out pretty good, you really can't see it unless you know where to look. Thank again! :)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
The heck with buying a new one!! Take ALL the skirts off and then run them down to your local MAACO or whatever cheap auto paint shop and have them paint them black.

You just found the perfect excuse that many smart owners are looking for to paint their skirts color. While they were already black....a nice gloss black may just give it that extra "completed" look. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts