Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wandering if it is possible for a tow truck to tow a smart car. My guess is that they will have some way but I don't see how the traditional tow truck could size down enough to tow a smart car.

BEyond this, my next question would be as to how that would affect the transmission of the smart car since everything is in the back.

Does anyone form the UK or Canada have any experience in this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
From asmartcar.com

Can the smart be towed behind an RV?

When towing behind another vehicle, for example, an RV, the manufacturer strongly recommends all four wheels be off the ground and the car well secured on a trailer. This will not only save your tires and eliminate possible damage to your transmission, your odometer will not unnecessarily increase.

The smart is rear-wheel drive. In the event a tow truck is necessary, the smart can be towed from the front, rear wheels on the ground, for a short distance (suggested 30 miles maximum). Be sure the vehicle is in N (Neutral) and the parking brake OFF.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I dont know how I would handle it if my smart were towed let alone incorrectly. I am very interested to find out what rules they come up with for smart car parking and if they will permit back in parking in normal stalls, after all half the parking enforcement trucks park that way in Seattle.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Can't you just pick it up and put it in the back? :p

There should be little problem in towing a smart, it really isn't that much narrower then most cars, and pretty much all of the new tow trucks have those adjustable cradles. However I think it will be important for the owner to know and inform the tow driver of the proper way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If in need of a tow just request a FLATBED. No need to worry about any driveline damage that way.
Exactly. I used to work at AAA as a call taker, plus I'm an AAA member, so I know from both ends of things that a member can definitely request a flatbed truck. It might take a little longer, but you can absolutely insist on that if you need it. And even if you aren't an AAA member, I think almost any tow company you call to get your car nowadays would have a flatbed. So, no worries, mates! In fact, I think they mostly send out flatbeds now whether you request them or not.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Apparently you can fit a Smartie into a standard pickup bed. I swear if I hear this one more time I'll scream! I guess if it was reversed, they'd abandon their truck if a Smartie yanked it out of the Rhubarb!

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I got my smart car my son and I measured it to see it would fit in my pickup bed. The wheel wells in the pickup bed get in the way.:(

·
Registered
763 Posts
The answer, then is to request a flatbed tow if you are in charge.
The question is, what happens if you have an involuntary tow? (We were visiting our nephew and didn't have the visitor hang tag in view and narrowly missed being towed. I literally stopped the driver as he was putting the gear in place.) So, if they tow and cause damage because it was not the appropriate equipment, can we recover for any damages?
I had an MG Midget and was advised by my mechanic always to request a flatbed tow. And, yes, you may require a little more time, but it's better than repairing the damage caused by a tow driver who really could care less.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
There are many ways a smart could be towed by a wrecker service...
1- the flatbed or rollback is by far the simplest...
2- most tow trucks have dollies that could be placed under the rear drive wheels and lift the front...
3-lift the back wheels and leave the fronts on the ground & tow the car backwards...
4-if the car is toast, roll both windows down and put the sling thru the windows and lift the whole car up with the wrecker... This one is my favorite...:joker:

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
2007.....really? :confused:
Everybody's always complaining that people don't use the search function. It's still a topic of interest, and the advice is still valid, right?

Kind of interesting to see the old handles. So many folks have gone on to other things now.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
They can pull it up a flat bed truck. They can be lifted it from its wheels. You can haul them in a over sized dump truck.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Called Smart USA when had the 3 bars of death. They said load on a truck or trailer and bring 150 mi. to dealer.
Didn't do that, but that's another story.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Geesh!
Of course they can be towed.
1) RV owners tow them great distances with all four wheels on the ground. The smart must be in Neutral with the key in the ignition. You can lock the doors and use the second key for access. Smarts towed by RVs are fitted with special towing gear and wired for lights to work with the RV lights.

2) A flat-bed can be used, and the car has an insertable tow ring for the purpose. See your owners manual. Do put it in N to pull it up onto the truck.

3) A conventional tow truck can stabilize the steering wheel and tow the smart by lifting the rear of the car.

4) A conventional tow truck can tow it from the front, being sure to tow it in N, as in the RV method.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts