Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching, and can't find anyone who's asked this, although I'm sure it's been asked.

Can you add a USB port to the pre-2011 Smarts? I know you have to do some work or buy a glove box with the ports and wiring already there, but is it possible to add the USB to the older Radio 10 (which I have) or Radio 9?

Someone did a writeup about it here, where step 10 is "Plug the cable from the radio into the usb adapter", but they neglect to say plug what wire to where on whatever radio they have.

Any ideas? USB in the glove box would be a nice addition, but that's of course if the older radios have the port to support it.

(There's apparently a port someplace that they use to plug in the aftermarket iPhone connection kit.)

Below is a picture of the post-2011 glove box with the USB and Audio ports off the back side. Pink is audio, blue is USB. Hoping the old radios have a spare port, someplace! I kind of recall there being another spot the last time I had the radio out; just don't know if this is it.

·
17,346 Posts
Skippy isn't too fond of the aftermarket, he likes the clean look of genuine smart accessories. :)

Skimming through that person's site, I'm somewhat sure that tutorial is for making a USB port for an aftermarket system (primarily, the Kenwood he has listed there), rather than the factory Radio 9/10.

AFAIK - The Radio 9/10 systems don't have any provisions to detect USB devices.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skippy isn't too fond of the aftermarket, he likes the clean look of genuine smart accessories. :)
What can I say, Neon knows me! When it came to buying new tires on new wheels, I bought his - genuine Smart. Cargo cover? Smart. Aftermarket radio? Nope, Smart Radio 10. Painted body kit? Not some other company. European stock Smart Pulse kit. Hunting for an armrest, which will probably be Smart when I learn enough about it.

The radio I took out (still for sale here, back in the archives by now) was a Pioneer with a foldout face, bluetooth, card reader under the dash, XM module, and an external remote. Didn't like it. Ugly, tiny, single din, I'd never pay for XM radio, don't use cards, bright blue backlit LED and it was hi-gloss plastic in an otherwise flat black and grey interior.

Factory radios are always bigger and more substantial, which I love. Try using that tiny Pioneer with winter gloves on!

I'll have to explore the radio 10 more. I'll take it out and see what ports are still left back there to be used. I guess my leading detective theory is how does Smart hook up the iPhone kit to the older radios? Clues lie there, I believe.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Neon, I had a crystal radios that sounded better. The 9-10 are the worst factory radios, I've ever listen to. Shame on smart. The aux jack works just fine for those two. No real purpose for the USB, except for maybe charging. Not going to improve the sound quaitly.

·
17,346 Posts
Oh I know, I don't like my door speakers either, and apparently smart improved them during the 2011 refresh. I mean, what's the point of having a USB port if it only reads NTFS/FAT filesystems and there is no efficient way to navigate the device from the headunit? I have a USB flash drive currently connected and it's just barely bearable...

The 2011-2014 Entryline speakers do handle bass better than the 2008-2010 Radio 9 speakers, but they suck just as bad at clarity.

I was actually just driving home the point that Skippy is trying to keep his car as "genuine smart" as possible. So he most likely won't be looking into swapping speakers or headunits. :)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Oh I know, I don't like my door speakers either . . .

The 2011-2014 Entryline speakers do handle bass better than the 2008-2010 Radio 9 speakers, but they suck just as bad at clarity.
The cheezy smart door speakers have been upgraded BUT, that does nothing to improve the pronounced weakness of the 9/10 radio FM audio section. AM, CD and AUX Jack show better balance and less muddiness.

But then again, a plastic car may not be a good platform for audiophile expectations?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Can you add a USB port to the pre-2011 Smarts? I know you have to do some work or buy a glove box with the ports and wiring already there, but is it possible to add the USB to the older Radio 10 (which I have) or Radio 9?

Any ideas? USB in the glove box would be a nice addition, but that's of course if the older radios have the port to support it.

(There's apparently a port someplace that they use to plug in the aftermarket iPhone connection kit.)
I think it depends on the radio. Look at the attached photo. Of the three stacked connector sockets on the right, the lower two are for the power connections and the speaker connections. The top connector is where the audio or usb plugs such as the blue one in your photo. The uppermost socket is separated into three sections by the small vertical dividers in the socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it depends on the radio. Look at the attached photo. Of the three stacked connector sockets on the right, the lower two are for the power connections and the speaker connections. The top connector is where the audio or usb plugs such as the blue one in your photo. The uppermost socket is separated into three sections by the small vertical dividers in the socket.
That's exactly what I'm thinking of! It looks like it would have to go on the tip horizontal row on the right, as it is a 3/2/3 style plug.

I did manage to do a lot more digging, and found this discussion regards the Smart Drive kit for iPhone, where the following is mentioned:

This kit disables the Aux-In plug located on some 2008 smart ForTwos. Aux-In is now available only to the iPhone songs, the internet radio, and certain iPhone apps capable of producing sound, such as the Bang & Olufsen radio app, the NPR radio app, etc.
It sounds like Smart Drive kit uses the same little horizontal bank on top that the aux jack uses. You are correct in saying the 2nd and 3rd bank are power and audio. I forget what the left vertical one is.

This has definitely inspired me to pull the radio once again and do some investigating. That'll likely happen this weekend unless someone bests me to it.

If the iPhone connection wakes up a non-selectable menu for Phone/Navi, maybe USB is somehow possible? It's also possible this radio lacks that capability, but further reading does state it's able to real file hierarchy on MP3 CDs, so maybe...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts