Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love our new to us Smart...but wondering if there is some way to open rear hatch without using the key remote.

Example: picking up wife at grocery store awning when weather is bad. Can't open rear hatch while Smart is running and key in ignition. Have to remove key and push remote button. There has to be some way around this? Suggestions?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes -- there is a way. To do this, you would have to remove the tailgate skin and the plastic cover for the latch assembly. Inside, you'll notice that the latch assembly has a lever with a notch in it. You can tie a cord to this lever where the notch is. The "cup" enclosing the rear of the latch assembly (part of the structural tailgate) also has a embossed marking for cutting a notch in the cup. You cut the notch in the cup enclosing the rear of the latch assembly, run the cord from the lever on the latch assembly out of the cup and affix a knob or pull to the end of the cord. If you want to open the rear window -- just pull the cord. It pops open. Doesn't matter what state the car is in -- no power is required.

An alternate technique is to drill a small hole in the rear cup enclosure for the latch assembly so that you can insert a small rod to push against the lever. I find that a small allen key works fine. The trick with this method is aligning the hole correctly so that a rod inserted through it will push against the latch assembly lever.

I've used both methods. Both work fine. I'm currently using a short pull-cord.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The pull cord is useful when the car has no power (dead or disconnected battery). It's also nice to have so that you can open the rear hatch from the inside of the car. If you get into an accident where the doors are blocked or won't open -- you can pull the cord, pop the rear hatch and climb out. If you inadvertently drive into a lake, river, etc., etc., chances are you won't have electric power long... You can pull the cord and climb out of the rear hatch while the car is still kinda floating. I have no idea how long a Smart Car will float. Maybe a long time. It definitely won't float long if you open either door.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have no idea how long a Smart Car will float. Maybe a long time. It definitely won't float long if you open either door.
There's a video from a few years ago of a guy in the UK who parked on a ramp waiting for the ferry to arrive. You can see him go into the shop on the security camera and then the smart rolls back down the ramp into the water and starts to float downstream. You then see him run out and watch it float away. The car actually became a navigation hazard in the waterway. I don't remember them saying how long the car floated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ah, so there is supposed to be something in the door handle thing. Mine is gone. Previous owner either broke it or took it out. Who knows...

Now I need to go source a replacement for it...
:wink:

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
There's a video from a few years ago of a guy in the UK who parked on a ramp waiting for the ferry to arrive. You can see him go into the shop on the security camera and then the smart rolls back down the ramp into the water and starts to float downstream. You then see him run out and watch it float away. The car actually became a navigation hazard in the waterway. I don't remember them saying how long the car floated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love our new to us Smart...but wondering if there is some way to open rear hatch without using the key remote.

Example: picking up wife at grocery store awning when weather is bad. Can't open rear hatch while Smart is running and key in ignition. Have to remove key and push remote button. There has to be some way around this? Suggestions?
There is a latch for the rear window located just over the rear liscence plate. Click your remote twice in unlock mode, go around to the back of the car and reach up just over the plate. Curl your fingers toward you and you will hear the click as the rear window releases. You then have access.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a latch for the rear window located just over the rear liscence plate. Click your remote twice in unlock mode, go around to the back of the car and reach up just over the plate. Curl your fingers toward you and you will hear the click as the rear window releases. You then have access.
That's the part I'm missing... It was removed or broken or something...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
"Curl your fingers toward you"?

Actually, you really don't want to curl your fingers at all?

Palm UP horizontal, Fingers UP vertical

Insert Fingers into slot above license plate and just push STRAIGHT UP to engage the flat switch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts