Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A .pdf announcing the prices for the Canadian models, including an accessory list. Either they're overpaying or we're underpaying. It's true that they get more standard features, but even so... I'm guessing (my favorite occupation and so suitable for our present situation) that our accessory prices will be about 25% less.
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/mbccustom/smart_pricecard_eng.pdf

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was rather surprised about that, too. I had considered taking a drive up to Winnipeg and buying it there, but I think I'll be better off being patient and wait until my number comes up.

I'm still taking a trip up to Winnipeg, where I'll see if I can get a test drive (although I'm not going up for that reason, it'll just be a bonus, because I missed the roadshow in the Twin Cities).

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
We never thought that much about it when there were 1.40 or more loonies to a buck. Now that the C$ and US$ are at parity it is a different story. Worse if you have to eat import duty on big ticket items too. Hint - drive your trick wheel and tire set across.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
That's the first I've seen any warrantee info...cool. 48 months isn't bad for most of the things listed. Not sure what the prices differences are all about, though. Same continent, slight difference in geography...go figure...or is this an look into the future?
Anyway, Good info, Paul!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Canadian prices vs. U.S prices?

There’s a class action lawsuit on behalf of some Canadian consumers in relation to the discrepancies in car cost.

There is gap in prices involving comparable cars sold in both countries. Generally carmakers set their Canadian prices separately from their U.S. parent corporations.

Some say the reason is car-buying patterns. Canadians want and buy different vehicles than Americans.

The base price of a Smart Cabriolet in Canada was $ 21,250, which equals $21,079 USD. The American Smart Cabriolet is priced at less than $17,000.

Read this article about differentences in car prices between the two countries. Click Here

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Canadian warranty is 4 years/48000 miles, ours is 2 year/24000 miles. We'll be able to raise the price of our vehicles to meet the Canadian price when we up our warranty.

·
Registered
114 Posts
28% cost difference

Porsche recently slashed their prices 8% in Canada to keep up with the recent news about class action lawsuit and the U.S dollar vs. Canadian dollar issues.

However, price discrepancy between U.S and Canada is still fairly large and now they are only 20% less in the US (vs. 28%). Could this be because we purchase 50 times the number of Porsches!

With this as a measuring device the difference between the prices for a Smart in Canada is actually a deal?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Priced lower in the United States

Customarily, car prices have been higher in America. The fast decline in the value of the U.S. dollar has reversed this and many cars are now priced lower in the United States than Canada.

There could be significant savings available to Canadian's that are able to buy vehicles from the United States and imported them to Canada. U.S. vehicles are practically indistinguishable to Canadian cars, apart from some minor differences, like metric odometers and labeling.

One example is a 911 Turbo. The 2007 Canadian MSRP was 170,700, current U.S. MSRP is 126,200.

A Canadian could literally fly to Florida, purchase a brand new car, drive it back to Canada and pay for his or her vacation with the money saved and even make up for some of the first year depreciation. As long as things remain as is, Canadian buyers could basically have a nice vacation; have a new car to drive around while on holiday, and sell the car after a year or so for what they originally bought it for new, thereby basically driving a new car for free!

Unfortunately, this would not work far a Smart car!

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I think you have that backwards. Car prices are higher in Canada, and have always been in recent memory. And that Canadian flying down to the US use to take a beating on the exchange rate, so while the car cost less here, he'd lose it on the exchange rate (unless, of course he/she had US dollars squirreled away some place!)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Sorry I don't have the file on this computer but if you look at all the options that the Canadian car has its cheaper then the UK smart and while I know that option for option the US smart is slightly cheaper. The US is hoping to sell 30,000 smart’s where Canada is hoping for 3,000 so you buy anything from anyone in the world at those numbers and the person buying 30,000 will get a better price then the other.

Also have to note that smart in Canada uses the government to make the cars cheaper to the end users via the ecoRebate, which is $2,000 back to the buyer or leaser of a smart. That goes a long way in allowing them to bring in the smart to Canada and setup the dealer network they have.

So why is the UK more costly then the Canadian, well its due to the fact in the UK they offer thinned down versions of the car, the UK has smart's starting way less then the US or UK same thing in a lot of European cities. The make their money back off on the options, so bait them in with the lowest price possible and then up sell the car. In Canada it came pretty much fully loaded. But if all you are looking for that smart badge on any option package maybe spend $20 and buy the badge and put it on your old car ;) or check out what it would take to import from Europe as it might be cheap to get a base model imported?

There are a lot for sale in Europe as they've been there for a year and people are already selling them used on eBay http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=smart+2007 and you can pick up that 451 smart for say $13,000, and while importing it will be hard even from Canada, shouldn't be much different from Europe. Plus you could probably have your car within a week :)

If you really wanted to go all out, you can get a the new Brabus smart for $24,000: http://cgi.ebay.fr/SMART-Fortwo-Cabriolet-74ch-Brabus-2007_W0QQitemZ220169411038QQihZ012QQcategoryZ18276QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another they why is everyone just looking up North to Canada, what about Mexico? They sell the 451 smart there, actually its been on sale in Mexico for awhile, don't know the pricing but those in Cali are a lot closer to Mexico then Canada. Here is one in Mexico for $15,300 http://www.autos-usados.autoplaza.com.mx/autos/smart-fortwo-2008~ida6802359.asp

Oh sweet, just found out that Mexico get the turbo version, isn’t’ that funny, Canada and US got the normal gas but Mexico gets the cream of the crop and gets the Turbo and damn it they’ve had them for a while, check it out one guy selling his 2008 turbo for $14,500
http://www.adoos.com.mx/post/1636771/smart_for_two_2008_passion_turbo_con_300kilometros

1 - 11 of 11 Posts