Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2008 passion!
Just as a point of interest.... If anyone is paying the "full warranty" game with the hyatt team up in Calgary , consider this.... I did go up to calgary for the regular service.... Every year, they would change my cars oil and empty my wallet of at least $400.

I just got an oil and filter changed at a very reputable service location.... And payed a whopping $60

Lets see....300km round trip, a full day off work, food for the day, and they still rip me off for $400..... With the difference with the local service and the better customer service....you can bet your butt that i wont be visiting hyatt again!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
This reminds me of The Scorpion and the Frog.

You go a dealer and they will always do their utmost to separate you from your money.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I just got an oil and filter changed at a very reputable service location.... And payed a whopping $60
Usually by oil change folks with not close to the same qualifications or experience as a dealer service technician. I know Mercedes-Benz technicians are generally invested in a career and fly to headquarters for Mercedes-Benz specific training and experience.

Whether it's worth the price of admission or not to you, that's fair game for debate, but MB techs are overwhelmingly more knowledgeable, experienced, and capable than the pimply faced teenager who is working at your local quick oil change and lube shop...

often using the wrong oils and lesser quality filters and top off fluids...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The M-B techs working on the smart are far and away the most incompetent bunch I have had the misfortunes of dealing with. I do my own work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pimply faced as you call them? Well this guy has a reputation to protect, as well as being certified for servicing Fords, GM, As well as having a heavy duty certificate and diesel engine certified for the oil patch.

Dont give me that pile of poop that the Mercedes techs are better than my mechanic! I wanted to get an oil change.... I dont think that the enema supplied by Mercedes was requested!

i have no problem with paying a FAIR PRICE for service!

I do have a problem with blatent inflation of prices for the sake of a trade name!

i will pay my share to keep a shop as a viable service center, but I see no reason for each customer to pay the full electric bill!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
...MB techs are overwhelmingly more knowledgeable, experienced, and capable than the pimply faced teenager who is working at your local quick oil change and lube shop...
Kamaal, probably NOT a fight you want to pick with this rather knowledgeable group of smart owners?

Remember, not all smart Centers are created equal and the Mothership hardly cares.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Pimply faced as you call them? Well this guy has a reputation to protect, as well as being certified for servicing Fords, GM, As well as having a heavy duty certificate and diesel engine certified for the oil patch.

Dont give me that pile of poop that the Mercedes techs are better than my mechanic! I wanted to get an oil change.... I dont think that the enema supplied by Mercedes was requested!

i have no problem with paying a FAIR PRICE for service!

I do have a problem with blatent inflation of prices for the sake of a trade name!

i will pay my share to keep a shop as a viable service center, but I see no reason for each customer to pay the full electric bill!
I'm not justifying your individual bill, I'm making a generalized response in defense of higher priced services. It's a fact that the typical MB technician has more training and experience on specifically MB products than most at the corner oil quickie change shops.

I wouldn't pay $400 for simply an oil service, and I know plenty of dealers that charge less than half that amount, so... I understand your concerns.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
It's part Mercedes :read:
Sure, but double Jeeps price and it's still only $60. I change my own oil in my smart. I have an early 450 and I bought the adapter so I can get a spin on filter at any parts store. Synthetic oil is easy too. Cheap Harbor Freight oil sucker and I'm good to go for about $35. :D There is no way they have that much in changing the oil. It's 90% profit after parts cost and labor.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Kamaal, WAY TOO MUCH KOOL-AID on your part. The best service I ever got was a Penske Chevrolet/smart center. The other two shops told me bad gas, or needed to refer me to a more remote smart center with more diagnostic equipment.
I had an air bubble in the cylinder head from an under-filled coolant system from the factory. Pimples or no pimples, the MB smart techs couldn't read the symptoms, and the computer wouldn't tell. Coolant level at the minimum line, pinging and knocking in hot weather under acceleration. Apparently something was left out in that FABULOUS training. I figured it out with an experienced SCOA enthusiast.
So, color me NOT drinking the MB USA KOOL-AID. Not buying it.
I've completely lost my confidence in the factory trained MB techs. The only other repair they did was so over done, I had to readjust the microswitch in the tail gate when I got home so I could LOCK the car.
If I am going to drive 4 or 6 hours to a Dealer Shop with smart certified mechanics, I expect them to know more than what the star system tells them which was NOTHING. They sent their findings to smart usa for review and and we got back a similar response which was nothing, as in no response.
sign me Underwhelmed in Tennessee. :eyeroll:

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
<snip>There is no way they have that much in changing the oil. It's 90% profit after parts cost and labor.
Stretch, I think you're forgetting that the MB joint has a really nice customer lounge where you can pass the time while being treated as a bastard stepchild.

Oh, to the OP, Canada doesn't have a monopoly on your complaint. See? Even more folks here to share in your resentment.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Kamaal, WAY TOO MUCH KOOL-AID on your part. The best service I ever got was a Penske Chevrolet/smart center. The other two shops told me bad gas, or needed to refer me to a more remote smart center with more diagnostic equipment.
I had an air bubble in the cylinder head from an under-filled coolant system from the factory. Pimples or no pimples, the MB smart techs couldn't read the symptoms, and the computer wouldn't tell. Coolant level at the minimum line, pinging and knocking in hot weather under acceleration. Apparently something was left out in that FABULOUS training. I figured it out with an experienced SCOA enthusiast.
So, color me NOT drinking the MB USA KOOL-AID. Not buying it.
I've completely lost my confidence in the factory trained MB techs. The only other repair they did was so over done, I had to readjust the microswitch in the tail gate when I got home so I could LOCK the car.
If I am going to drive 4 or 6 hours to a Dealer Shop with smart certified mechanics, I expect them to know more than what the star system tells them which was NOTHING. They sent their findings to smart usa for review and and we got back a similar response which was nothing, as in no response.
sign me Underwhelmed in Tennessee. :eyeroll:
Are you saying the oil change corner guy using the wrong oils and filters in your smart car would have discovered an air bubble in your engine? And fixed it?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm sure this happens but I don't think you can paint all dealers with the same brush. I have only had one time where I needed just the oil changed, eg, not an A or B service. It cost under 70 bucks with tax...that was synthetic oil etc. 400 sound more like a B service with extra parts needed etc. Was anything else done?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
In the over 50 years I have been driving new and used cars, I have never seen such gross incompetence and service price gouging that we see reported on this board . Then again, I have never owned an MB product before.

No one could make this stuff up. :( A2Jack

·
Registered
511 Posts
NCC17701 is right. And believe it or not the fault lies in some/many MB customers. It is as old as marketing. If you artificially place value on a thing and get enough people to buy into it and partake you have a system for profit. That's why rectangular pieces of paper can buy you a car. Enough people agree that it is worth something.
"Hey, I drive a MB: high priced and high quality (kinda like me) It takes SPECIAL EXPENSIVE servicing (again, kinda like me by inference). I know this because I've been told this and buy golly it's right. Did you ever go to MY dealership? Latte, ladyfingers, and sports widescreen tv in a quiet CIVILIZED (read snotty, exclusive) atmosphere. Also a lot of smarmy guys who say yes sir, m'am ect. Hey, these salesmen talk about GOLF for chrissake not ew-football. How toney is that? I EXPECT to pay a lot. After all I don't come cheap.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts