Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are any issues with buying a Smart Car in Canada and then getting the title transferd to the U.S.?

That diesel at 60+ mpg sure is tempting.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I believe that I read there is a way, but only if the car has 7500 miles on it, and the owner moves to the USA????

·
Registered
564 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any issues with buying a Smart Car in Canada and then getting the title transferd to the U.S.?
The answer is, technically, it's not legal. Any car originally sold in Canada can be permanently imported into the US only if the manufacturer supplies the importer with a letter saying it complies with all Federal safety and emissions standards. Alternatively you can have a registered importer (RI) modify it to meet those standards. Currently there are no RI's certified to modify the diesel 450 to US requirements.

Daimler won't provide a letter for the Canadian diesel 450, because it doesn't meet EPA emissions standards. You might get a letter for the Canadian 451 (non-diesel), but not much point other than possibly a shorter wait time.

On the other hand, you could buy a used diesel in Canada and drive it across the border, and hope 1) your state is not very rigorous in checking for US Federal stickers when titling it, and 2) you don't get caught. Getting caught could result in the vehicle being impounded and destroyed.

PS: These conditions only apply to vehicles less than 25 years old. Older cars can be imported without any of the hassle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Official Reply from Canada

Here is the official reply form Smart Car Canada.

Thank you for your interest in smart.

While we appreciate your interest in smart, please note that the smart
fortwo's which are certified for the Canadian market are not homologated
for the US market and will therefore not comply for export. Unfortunately,
modifications are not possible to make this vehicle compliant for the
United States and it would not be possible to register/licence/insure a
Canadian version smart in the United States.

For more information on the smart brand and when it will launch in the
United States, please visit the US website.

Best regards,

Andrew Bedard
Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc.
smart Canada Division
email:[email protected]
1-800-387-0100
1-877-627-8004

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
"Homologated" isn't that strange to the rest of the civilized world (just means "standardized"). 'Member the much vaunted but phoney-badged Pontiac GTO - a cognomen swiped directly from the very real Ferrari 250 GTO (Gran Turisma Omologata), of which a minimal number of 100 had to be constructed and offered for public consumption to be F.I.A. eligible for the GT racing class. Anyway....

I did not mean to imply that what I was told in Vancouver was the end truth; just what the dealer had then been told. But you can bet that an experienced grey-market converter like G&K can do a Canuk 451 it a lot easier than they have 450s.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Protectionism?

Here is the official reply form Smart Car Canada.
Thank you for your interest in smart. For more information on the smart brand and when it will launch in the
United States, please visit the US website.
Best regards,
Andrew Bedard
Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc.
This response from Smart Car Canada smacks of protectionism. Protecting the US distribution network,ie, PAG, IB, and all the to-be designated dealers. Oh well, business, business, business... The waiting is killing me:p I keep thinking of all those lonely little smarties waiting in Smartville for homes and families in the US. ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Propes, why would you want to pay more for an imported smart 451 from north of the border when ours are due in a few months? Yes, their smarts are priced higher than ours. And with the real, major league, time consuming hassle of proving to the American authorities that a Canadian smart 451 meets all US requirments for new cars (and we don't know that they do!) why would you even want to try? You would end up with an overpriced orphan just a few weeks before the US version is due to arrive. :rolleyes:

Patience. Our turn is coming. :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
He may have a more immediate need for wheels. Unless you have a very early reservation a USA model may not be available for delivery for many months. I'm sitting with a 10/1 reservation and really do not believe I will have a shot until late 2008.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The practicalities of car ownership for many people make the process difficult. For those folks buying the fortwo as a toy (an extra car) it's no big deal- when it arrives- it arrives.

But for those who have to sell or trade in a car, or for those who have to decide whether to repair an old car to keep it running in wait for the smart, or for those who lose their current car (accident, repairs that are not economic etc.)- this process is practically impossible for them.

Sooooooooo.....for better or worse, intentionally or not, the process is reinforcing the media sterotype of the Smart as the fashionista car- the car for people who really don't need the utility of a "real" car.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Lewis you bring up some valid points. We members should keep in mind that we represent approx 3/10ths of one percent of the total reservists, and probably are the "hardcore" smart enthusiasts. The balance are a mixture of fashionistas, flip artists looking to make a quick buck, insiders, "normal" drivers seeking ulitarian transportation, and those that do not know this great forum exists. :D You can bet I'm counting on a 35% to 40% cancellation rate so as to put me in a smart mid 2008.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Carnut- The sooner supply and demand come into balance - the better it will be for everyone concerned (except the quick buck set).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts