Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone online and priced identical Smart cars on the US and Canadian websites. For the same vehicle, it will cost me more than $4000 more here in Canada. That certainly doesn't seem fair!

:whipping:

Is it feasable to import a Smart car from the US (or even Mexico) into Canada?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Lots of American cars are built both in Canada and Mexico...
Belive you will find our cars do not meet the Canadian spec and the other way around, same for the cars from Mexico. Pretty silly eh.
karl

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
I've gone online and priced identical Smart cars on the US and Canadian websites. For the same vehicle, it will cost me more than $4000 more here in Canada. That certainly doesn't seem fair!

:whipping:

Is it feasable to import a Smart car from the US (or even Mexico) into Canada?
(famous last words) "i think" that if you look closely, you'll find that you get some of the options we have as standard equipment AND you get a longer warranty (3/36?).

might want to double check yourself.....and me too! while $4k does seem alot for just those differences, once you factor in the difference in US/Canadian exchange rate, it might not be THAT far off......:rolleyes:

UPDATE: ok, checked for myself. Passion Coupe: 1) tridion safety cell in either black OR silver (no additional charge) 2) Premium Stereo (no additional charge) 3) Heated Seats (no additional charge) and a warranty of 48 MONTHS OR 80K km.....TWICE the warranty here in the US.

that's some of the difference in price....AND you get so many more options available than we do here in the US. i only wish we were offered HALF of what you guys get.

·
Registered
171 Posts
rebate in Canada

At least through the end of 2008, you'll get a $2000.00 rebate from the federal government on the purchase of a new smart. It's not clear whether this policy will continue into 2009.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yep, not apples to apples. Already mentioned is the added warranty, $2k ecoAUTO rebate, standard heated seats and radio 10 for Canadian 451s, but another little known standard feature up north is power steering.

Arch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, the EccoRebate does NOT come from MB and should NOT be counted in the price of the car. If there were no EccoRebate, the MSRP would be different.

Secondly, I priced out two cars with the features I wanted. I don't care if the Canadian version has a dozen other options that I *DON'T* want. Why can't Canadians have the same choices available? :confused:

I don't need heated seats. I don't want a silver cell. Premium stereo??? Will the stereo be better than the aftermarket one that *I* want to install? I don't think so - the Smart stereo won't even play MP3's.

I'm basically paying $4000 for an extra two years warranty - and everyone knows how difficult it can be to collect when a warranty repair is needed. :(

Finally, power steering is NOT an automatic option in Canada. It's a $700 add on.

Here is what I'd order from Smart Canada... What would it cost in the USA?
- Smart "Pure"
- Metallic blue panels & black cell
- Velour mats
- Luggage fastener
- Glasses storage
- Smart sound system
- A/C
= $16740.00 CAD, plus taxes and stealership fees.

..and, of course, I hear that they have a Tubro option in Mexico! :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Obviously the ecoAUTO rebate is a govt thing. Just as are the duties & fees that would be added to your car when importing it into Canada.

No one's saying that the pricing is a wash between the two countries when standard equipment is entered into the mix, just that comparisons aren't apples to apples. My post referred to the passion model (out of habit, because that's what most folks buy and you didn't mention otherwise in the first post), which does indeed come standard in Canada with power steering and the other things mentioned. But even your pure is different, with standard power windows and radio 9. Again, not to imply that the numbers work out to be apples to apples.

In the end, the price differences between similar cars from Canada to the US is an ancient topic of conversation no matter the marque being discussed. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Chevrolet, whatever. Just hit google for page after page of bitter debate. Having worked and travelled extensively in both countries for smart USA and smart Canada, all I can personally observe is that it's not just cars, but pretty much everything costs more up there.

Some links for you to ponder...
All You Need to Know about Importing from the USA to Canada
How to import a vehicle into Canada
CanadianDriver: Special Feature - Canada/U.S. vehicle price differences: why Canadians pay more
Mercedes-Benz Canada - Vehicle Admissibility

Good luck!

Arch

·
Registered
42 Posts
So far, nobody else from Canada has commented, so I'll jump in. I used to think just like the OP when considering a Smart. Base Pure Cdn to base Pure USA is only about $3.6K Cdn difference right now. That difference gets eaten up if you consider the warranty difference, duty, RIV fees, cost of transportation to the US to pick up the car, cost of motel for as many nights as it will take you to drive it home, all your time spent on phone calls, faxing and paperwork. Then there's more time and expense to get it inspected twice. I'd say you'd be lucky to save $2K. If the local dealer will let you even buy a warranty to bring it up to Cdn duration and coverage, how much will that cut into the 2 grand. For me, if I were to buy any new car from the US, it wouldn't be worth my time and effort unless I can save at least $5K. With our dollar back in the sewer, that's hard to do.
You'd be better off to buy the thing right now, take the 2 grand eco rebate and be way ahead of buying in the US. Personally, I'd look at a slightly used one in western Canada and come to compromise on the eco rebate that the first owner already took.

·
Registered
171 Posts
your getting robbed....

i got a loaded turbo 451 with heated leather air steer auto paddles yellow/black, mats and whatever else our spec is different to what you get in the usa... anyway only a 2month wait! and cost $24000 aud thats like $1.60 us lol and we get 3 year unlimited km wty...

difference is there isnt the 20,000 car demand here only 280 sold ytd nationwide.... but if that sounds like your not getting a fair deal, we make a large V8 sedan here in australia, ship it to the USA spec it better (although it looks crap compared to the aussie model, you have terrible tastes... urgghh pontiac lol) and it costs 10K less over there than it does locally here :s

·
Registered
305 Posts
Have to agree with you on the Pontiac imports. Holden designed cars arent generally know for their styling prowess! At least the G8 (Commodore) looks 100% better than the GTO (Monaro) did. The GTO always reminded me of a bloated Cavalier. Great motor though. If GM insists on rebadging cars for the US, at least give us the Tigra!

·
Super Moderator
28,445 Posts
The demise of Pontiac?

RE: rebadged Holdens in the USA. As part of their "restructuring" GM may consolidate brands again, and there's already talk of Pontiac going the way of Oldsmobile. :(

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
First off, the EccoRebate does NOT come from MB and should NOT be counted in the price of the car. If there were no EccoRebate, the MSRP would be different.

Secondly, I priced out two cars with the features I wanted. I don't care if the Canadian version has a dozen other options that I *DON'T* want. Why can't Canadians have the same choices available? :confused:

I don't need heated seats. I don't want a silver cell. Premium stereo??? Will the stereo be better than the aftermarket one that *I* want to install? I don't think so - the Smart stereo won't even play MP3's.

I'm basically paying $4000 for an extra two years warranty - and everyone knows how difficult it can be to collect when a warranty repair is needed. :(

Finally, power steering is NOT an automatic option in Canada. It's a $700 add on.

Here is what I'd order from Smart Canada... What would it cost in the USA?
- Smart "Pure"
- Metallic blue panels & black cell
- Velour mats
- Luggage fastener
- Glasses storage
- Smart sound system
- A/C
= $16740.00 CAD, plus taxes and stealership fees.

..and, of course, I hear that they have a Tubro option in Mexico! :D
You could move:) Look at it this way you health care is cheaper then ours up there. They take care of you when you get old too!!!!!!! And you had the Smart car a couple years before us:p

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
I get $13,794 US with out tax, and the extra warranty. (what radio did you want?) can't figure - Velour mats- Luggage fastener- Glasses storage, on US site.
Converted US dollars to Canadian dollars $16,685.00

I figure your car, on the Canadian site I got $16,794.34 with out tax, and the extra warranty..

Your Canadian site has more boxes for options then we do. You can get Brabus stuff too, and optional wheels. Someone needs to take a road trip for Brabus parts.

Everything in Canada is always higher then the US. Sorry

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK, Im slow in replying, and I know this thread has been going for a year or so, but I gotta put in my 2 cents.

I live 2+ hours from a service depot, so when the silly "idiot lite" goes on in the dash, and you have to figure out how to get it to a repair site, consider USA vs Cdn... My machine (Canadian) came with an option for roadside assistance..... Well one phone call later and my baby was on the back of a truck to the repair depot with not a penny changing hands... even the call was toll free...

I talked to the owner of the tow company.... Smart / Benz picked up the tab of $1K with no hassle, and changed the $10 sensor and I was back on the road with all of the new software updates and personal touches that Benz is famous for.

I will pay a premium to get service like this.

Dont cheap out...you will pay in the long run!

Fred and Cathy

X

·
0 Posts
some closing thoughts (my 2c just to beat a dead horse!)

my USA car was $18k out the door, and a similarly spec car in Canada would be $23k even though the package options don't exactly match.. yes, as with many things, Canada is more expensive. Not to say everything is so .. some things are less expensive here in the cold North , though , you have to remember , RIV (import your car) fees will vary, plus having to do in-province inspection (if required, such as Alberta does) .. I would guess it doesn't cost $5 grand to do that, but if you are paying cash, you may as well fork out the extra few thousand up front just to avoid said paperwork and visits to your local RIV, Canadian Tire, what not :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts