Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
smart Spring Nationals-Destination Daytona!
March 2012

WHAT: To all smart owners wherever you are…….A team of Central Florida owners and enthusiasts is announcing an all new smart car event as an extension of the 3 outstanding Orlando Anniversary events of 2009, 2010, and 2011. All the previous organizers from the first three Annivesary events, along with other smart enthusiasts, are planning an event to rival the initial 2010 Nationals event.
WHEN: We encourage you to block off the dates of March 1-4, 2012 on your calendar now and watch the forums for updates regarding what will be an outstanding event. The event is on the weekend between the Daytona 500 and the start of Daytona Bike Week and during the spring Break Season.
WHERE:The event will take place at Destination Daytona which is the world’s largest Harley Davidson Dealership but is also much more with available parking for hundreds of cars, an on premise hotel, on premise bars and restaurants, a huge covered pavilion and other amenities. In addition, it is within easy driving distance of the Beaches, St Augustine, The Daytona Speedway, The Space Center and Cocoa Beach and is only an hour from Disney and Universal Studios.
We have already negotiated a great hotel room rate on the property.
TO DO: We are already planning a day of optional scenic and sightseeing drives; a cash bar cocktail hour each evening; a half day with the cars on New Smyrna Beach; a group photo opportunity at the beach or the speedway or at another major venue; a BBQ dinner included in registration and dancing under the pavilion to all types of music from a DJ.
We are just beginning the serious planning for this event.
- We will begin a web-site to publish registration, announcements, and reservation information.
- Add to the things-to-do-while-you-are-there list.
- Gather sponsors

What can possibly be better than Florida in early March?

Plan to join us for this exciting event and watch closely for updates and further details.
(early questions can be sent via PM to kwager)

·
Registered
973 Posts
It is important to note that this event is being produced by wdhitch, bonchy, smart car customs, kwagar and a few other central Florida enthusiasts all of whom have been involved in the very successful Orlando Anniversary events of the past three years.

In addition GetSmrt28277 is working directly with us to provide excellent contacts with smartUSA and after the transition to MB management.

The plan is intended to upgrade the event to a major regional event similar to the nationals that took place last year in Kansas City and we will be naming the event something other than the 4th Anniversary of Orlando to something more related to a new location and new activities. Watch for that announcement!

We have a great location, outstanding hotel rates on the event property in the middle of spring break season and it should be an outstanding event.

March in Florida, beaches, bikes, NASCAR, smart cars, sightseeing etc......All we need is you.

Much more detail will be coming soon...If you have suggestions and would like to share them with us please PM us or e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
776 Posts
Awesome. I'm on the other coast (of Florida) but if there is ANYTHING I can do to help, feel free to ask!!! I'm just a short drive across I-4.

Ziggy...
:smartje.bl.zl:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did the "Loop" with several of the initial planning committee. It was a beautiful 22 mile drive. Very scenic. The accommodations at Destination Daytona are great! Looking forward to this one!

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I may go to this one. :) I have family extremely (as in VERY close) to that area. :wink:

PS - Ken - If I can help on the Destination Daytona portion in anyway let me know. :wink:

·
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may go to this one. :) I have family extremely (as in VERY close) to that area. :wink:

PS - Ken - If I can help on the Destination Daytona portion in anyway let me know. :wink:
Hmmm....:wink: Seems I met this wonderful lady that said she was related to you while I was there.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I have cells of "my people" set up all over. :) You just happened to run across one of them. I was notified the moment you pulled into the parking lot, before you guys were even out of the cars.

I get notifications anytime 3 or more smarts pull into certain parking lots across the US. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
973 Posts
6 of us did a facility check last Sat at Destination Daytona. This could be the best venue for a large smart car rally in the USA. Has everything going for it, great hotel, unlimited parking, three restaurants, a huge covered pavilion, access to the beaches, etc, etc. This may turn into a National event in spite of being on the East Coast!!!!!!!

Block out the dates now and watch for further details!!!!!

·
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me know how I can help. I have great contacts with MB USA as well that I met at Dells.
DVI knows about it already.
May need to start the process again if the owners want it.

IF the owners want a Nationals event, then it will take at least 200-300 smarts to make it worthwhile.

The survey earlier this year had less than 100 responses form Insider and less than 30 responses from SCoA.

Only 7 smart owners had registered for the Daytona event since the original announcement; with less than 6 months from the event, I can see the reasons for the cancellation.

Lack of support from the owners as well as vendors, dealers, and DVI for a huge event will be hard to pull off, but is not impossible with the right work and team effort.

·
Super Moderator
11,222 Posts
Quite common for people to decide last minute to attend an event, Most don't even think about it until after the 1st of the year. Sorry all that effort was for nothing. For me, it was a bit farther than I wanted to drive, but things change, you never know.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
For some people (myself included) 10 months, or even 4 months advance commitment is not a realistic possibility. I understand the difficulty this hard fact presents.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
IF the owners want a Nationals event, then it will take at least 200-300 smarts to make it worthwhile.

The survey earlier this year had less than 100 responses form Insider and less than 30 responses from SCoA.
Although a great venue, by geographic location many folks West of the Mississippi were eliminated before the planning began.

With critical mass being in excess of 200 smarts I can see the challenge. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
28,249 Posts
Although a great venue, by geographic location many folks West of the Mississippi were eliminated before the planning began.

With critical mass being in excess of 200 smarts I can see the challenge. :eek:
We're back to the one location vs. two locations discussion. There are still relatively few smart owners, even fewer willing to drive long distances to an event - the closer the better seems to be the rule. The nationals in KC was a test to see if a central location could work, and it did. I think that was a function of timing and novelty [first North American event] as much as anything else. After the slow start and light registrations for the Daytona event, it could be that an East and West Nationals may be the better approach. At this point DVI has been silent on any such events but their support and involvement would be key to success IMHO. :)

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
What happen to St. Louis, and Denver? Wasn't there a vote early this year? Seems like a lot of events are always in east.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
I appreciate all the work that the organizers of the Daytona event have done. I'm sorry to see it cancelled though I do understand why. Distance is a major problem for us though I was trying to figure out how to make it work. Daytona is 2 long days of driving, each way, for us.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.