Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a smart fortwo 451 and i changed the clutch actuator because it was having troubles in low first gear as well as reverse where it would slam in to gear and jult forward but wouldn't do it when shifting through the higher gears it did not solve the issue however now its shifting hard all around as well now at first i figured the adjustment may be off so i moved it over a bit and nothing if anyone has any advice or know what it may be i would really appreciate any help on the matter maybe the clutch? or the trans? idk

·
Registered
642 Posts
There is a good chance your engine mounts are worn. That’s been known to cause hard shifts.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
390 Posts
If your problem is when you are coming out of park and going into drive or reverse, then try doing a "Throttle Body Reset".

Might just work for you and it won't cost anything, and you an do it in under 5 minutes. discussion about this is abundant here in the forum (see https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/threads/new-owner-lots-of-questions.157451/ for example.) This procedure won't hurt the car if you try it.

This is what to do:
  1. Insert key and just turn it to position 1 so the dashboard lights up but don't start the engine.
  2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor (including kick-down).
  3. Continue holding the pedal down for a full 5+ seconds and then turn the key back to position 0 (off).
  4. Now release the accelerator pedal.
  5. Wait a minute or so (I let all the dash lights go out and then some) before starting your car.
  6. It should now be able to go gently into reverse or drive and do this at a quiet idle (and no bang!)

As you probably can guess, I used this method with success, repeatedly, when I had my 2008 451.

I now have gone with a 453 ED/EQ, so I haven't needed to do this anymore:coffee:

If this works or doesn't work please let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your problem is when you are coming out of park and going into drive or reverse, then try doing a "Throttle Body Reset".

Might just work for you and it won't cost anything, and you an do it in under 5 minutes. discussion about this is abundant here in the forum (see https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/threads/new-owner-lots-of-questions.157451/ for example.) This procedure won't hurt the car if you try it.

This is what to do:
  1. Insert key and just turn it to position 1 so the dashboard lights up but don't start the engine.
  2. Press and hold the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor (including kick-down).
  3. Continue holding the pedal down for a full 5+ seconds and then turn the key back to position 0 (off).
  4. Now release the accelerator pedal.
  5. Wait a minute or so (I let all the dash lights go out and then some) before starting your car.
  6. It should now be able to go gently into reverse or drive and do this at a quiet idle (and no bang!)

As you probably can guess, I used this method with success, repeatedly, when I had my 2008 451.

I now have gone with a 453 ED/EQ, so I haven't needed to do this anymore:coffee:

If this works or doesn't work please let us know.
So I tried it and it wouldn’t I gave any gears and then after terming the car off and back on a couple times I had my gears back but still bang and pull

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a good chance your engine mounts are worn. That’s been known to cause hard shifts.
I’m gonna order some new engine mounts and install them maybe it will work I will report back when I have an update

·
Registered
609 Posts
^ you’ll notice a huge improvement if it’s got heavy vibration due to them being worn.
I did all three on mine and it was like a new car afterwards.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 453. Turned out to be a bad transmission; $5300 plus install. Don't own the 453 anymore. That was a fun car to drive. We're going to miss it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 453. Turned out to be a bad transmission; $5300 plus install. Don't own the 453 anymore. That was a fun car to drive. We're going to miss it.
Covered under warranty I hope.
Otherwise that was some expensive fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Covered under warranty I hope.
Otherwise that was some expensive fun.
I had a Platinum Extended Warranty on the car. The A/C had also took a dump about a week earlier. With the Transmission, A/C repair, tax and freighting it back to South Jersey, I was looking at about $13K. That's more than the vehicle was actually worth! I had an available balance of $9617 remaining on the Warranty after some other repairs at the end of last year. I took the buyout from the warranty company. I then sold the car to one of the mechanics for $2K. He sent me a box with all my crap left in the car and a check. I sent back the manual for the new radio and the Title. It's a shame, the car looked brand new and only had 37K on it. Just installed a new 9" Android radio, new powder coated brakes, tires and MSW Rims.

Sorry to Colin for hijacking the thread. I had problems with the Actuator on my trans. I had it adjusted three times in the last year or so. Turned out to be a precursor to a much bigger problem. I had my motor mounts changed last fall. It changed the "feel" of the hard shifts slightly, but did not cure the problem. I bought the car used with low miles sight unseen and I believe the transmission was screwed from the day I got it. It would always shift hard, and sometimes bang, in the lower gears. Once you got it above 20 or so, it would smooth out and shift fine. Through my lack of knowledge of the car, and the mechanics at MB, we actually drove the transmission into the ground.

·
Registered
708 Posts
What did the transmission do to exhibit an issue ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
What did the transmission do to exhibit an issue ?
Hard shifts in lower gears. Occasional it would bang into gear. Turning on the A/C made it worse. Downshifts into 1st would cause the car to really dive. Manual shifting was better, but not perfect.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Hard shifts in lower gears. Occasional it would bang into gear. Turning on the A/C made it worse. Downshifts into 1st would cause the car to really dive. Manual shifting was better, but not perfect.
Did you have the software update to improve those downshifts before they replaced the transmission?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts