Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a somewhat recurring problem. My service light came on once and I reset it by turning on the ignition, pressing the left reset button twice, turning the ignition off while the wrenches were flashing, holding button and turning the ignition back on and this reset the thing for my 10,000 maintenance. It came back on at 8,000 (but about 12 months since I bought it) and I changed the air conditioner filter. It was quite dirty, maybe 10,000 is a little too far between changes but I guess it depends on your location. I'm in Louisiana. Anyhow now I can't get the wrenches to reset. They come on for about the first 10 seconds of operation and then go out but I'd like to keep them off all the time. They are doing a reverse negative count all the time they are on. For example -8 goes to
-9, goes to -10 and now I'm at -13.
Any ideas will be looked into and very much appreciated.
I'm not near a dealer by the way.

Thank you,

Rick

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
..Tuesday I tried to reset my bride's car for about 20 minutes with no luck at all...and that was after I reset my car in about 30 seconds...come back next day and it took 30 seconds to do...
...yep the counter is based on calendar (12 month) or mileage...

...let it rest.try again tomorrow..
..I did it by not waiting on anything...
...key on...double tap..wrenches flashing... key off...hold and key on...and hopefully the 10k will show up...

jetfuel...'tupid reset....

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Don't worry about it. The wrenches do go away, after a few seconds, and the mileage shows up normally. We don't put on many Kms in a year and now show something like a -350 at start-up. The oil is OK and we won't be due for our 30,000 Km service for about another month. At that time, they'll reset the thing and we'll be good for another couple of years.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
1. Begin this procedure with the ignition in the off position (position 0).
2. Switch the ignition to position 1 (accessory on).
3. Activate the maintenance indicator in the instrument display by pressing the left instrument cluster button twice (double-press). You are successful when you see the wrench icon and the odometer readout changes to indicate the number of days until the next service (this may be a negative number).
4. Switch off the ignition (position 0) within 10 seconds. If the wrench icon disappears before you switch the ignition off, restart the procedure from the beginning.
5. Push and hold the left instrument cluster button and immediately switch the key to position 1 (accessory on). It is not necessary to switch the engine on. Note that if you hesitate after pressing the left instrument cluster button before switching the ignition key to position 1, you will reset your trip odometer instead.
6. Continue holding the left instrument cluster button for approximately 10 seconds. You will be successful when the maintenance service interval changes to "10000" and the flashing wrench changes to a solid wrench. You may now release the left instrument cluster button and the wrench icon will disappear.

·
Registered
149 Posts
1. Begin this procedure with the ignition in the off position (position 0).
2. Switch the ignition to position 1 (accessory on).
3. Activate the maintenance indicator in the instrument display by pressing the left instrument cluster button twice (double-press). You are successful when you see the wrench icon and the odometer readout changes to indicate the number of days until the next service (this may be a negative number).
4. Switch off the ignition (position 0) within 10 seconds. If the wrench icon disappears before you switch the ignition off, restart the procedure from the beginning.
5. Push and hold the left instrument cluster button and immediately switch the key to position 1 (accessory on). It is not necessary to switch the engine on. Note that if you hesitate after pressing the left instrument cluster button before switching the ignition key to position 1, you will reset your trip odometer instead.
6. Continue holding the left instrument cluster button for approximately 10 seconds. You will be successful when the maintenance service interval changes to "10000" and the flashing wrench changes to a solid wrench. You may now release the left instrument cluster button and the wrench icon will disappear.
\

call me slow...but this worked perfect on my car...my service lamp has not been reset in ages (i am a tech and did my own service).. i followed these instructions and voila!.. thank you... i have tried this before a long time ago.(read instructions on here)...and never had any luck..... now i am pleasantly surprised... all is well

chris

·
Registered
219 Posts
Are we talking about the 451's. I've been at this for days now on my 09 Passion. Still ain't working,but I won't give up if ther's a chance for success.

Mine went on @ 1,000 miles, and now @ 11,000. This is really a PITA!! (I did my 10k maintenance @ 9,300) I wish there were a way to reprogram, and eliminate this feature.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Are we talking about the 451's. I've been at this for days now on my 09 Passion. Still ain't working,but I won't give up if ther's a chance for success.

Mine went on @ 1,000 miles, and now @ 11,000. This is really a PITA!! (I did my 10k maintenance @ 9,300) I wish there were a way to reprogram, and eliminate this feature.
Jim it's easy! Really! If we can get together I'd help you with yours. It's a matter of timing, really. Also, as some stated, it is helpful to go ahead and close the door, just in case. Just tap the thing twice, shut off the key, wait to see if the wrenches go away, if they don't, push and HOLD the button and QUICKLY turn the key on and keep holding the button for what feels like an eternity.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jim it's easy! Really! If we can get together I'd help you with yours. It's a matter of timing, really. Also, as some stated, it is helpful to go ahead and close the door, just in case. Just tap the thing twice, shut off the key, wait to see if the wrenches go away, if they don't, push and HOLD the button and QUICKLY turn the key on and keep holding the button for what feels like an eternity.
I try before I start the car every time, and go out a few times a day just to try it, but still no luck. Yup, I watched the video too. It's hard to get together. I'm leaving for an early flight tomorrow, and I never know how long I'll be gone. We'll get it sooner or later.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
I try before I start the car every time, and go out a few times a day just to try it, but still no luck. Yup, I watched the video too. It's hard to get together. I'm leaving for an early flight tomorrow, and I never know how long I'll be gone. We'll get it sooner or later.
Jim, we had the same problem resetting ours as well. Not only could we not get it to reset but another smart owner could not get it to reset. We finally took it to the dealer. They had problems as well but did finally get it reset. The technician said that the reset button may be the problem and to bring it back in and they will check it. Haven't had time to do that yet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jim, we had the same problem resetting ours as well. Not only could we not get it to reset but another smart owner could not get it to reset. We finally took it to the dealer. They had problems as well but did finally get it reset. The technician said that the reset button may be the problem and to bring it back in and they will check it. Haven't had time to do that yet.
Good luck.
The first time it came on, I had it reset at the dealer. Come to think of it, they were in there a long time before they brought the car back out. could be the button....... I'll look into that.

Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tuesday I took mine to a local Oil Change company and did the Mobil 1 synthetic oil change and the manager went out and reset the indicator first try. He must've done that before....

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 43 Posts