Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not an overly tall person, but, when driving the smart I can't see traffic lights without bending down. In fact, sometimes it's easier to see the light by looking over the bar than under it.

I found a product called LightInSight. It's a little vinyl window sticky with a fresnel lens. It gives you a look at the lights without having to bend over.

Learn more at LightInSight Home Page

·
Registered
4 Posts
How tall are you? I ask because I'm 5' 9" and if I do decide to get a smart car, I want to know if i'm going to have to deal with the same issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
six feet

How tall are you? I ask because I'm 5' 9" and if I do decide to get a smart car, I want to know if i'm going to have to deal with the same issue.
I'm the better part of 6 feet tall. I have this problem in my Suburban as well...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and I don't get this and other thread posts about this issue. I have absolutely no problem seeing lights at any intersection size and regardless of stoplight position/placement. Note I also have the auto rain/headlight sensor and no problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
5'9 and no issues

I'm 5'9 and have no problems at all. I feel like I can see everything in my Smart. Like most people have been saying, it feels bigger inside than you would think.

I love my Smart :D

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm only 5'10" and noticed the same thing, just this morning I was sitting at a red wondering if it turned green yet so I had to hunch down a bit, I think at 5'9 or 6'6" you will have the same issue, it's not a biggie but it's just kind of weird.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm 6' even and was wondering if it was just me. I never driven another car that seemed to be just the wrong height for seeing stop lights.
I have to scrutch over and/or tilt my head to see several lights I travel through regularly. I will investigate this product.

BTW, the view out of the smart is about the worst of any vehicle I've owned.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is a similar item out there for the back windows, great for seeing behind, below and to the sides. Used one in a fifteen passenger van for a number of years, great product.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm 6' even and was wondering if it was just me. I never driven another car that seemed to be just the wrong height for seeing stop lights.
I have to scrutch over and/or tilt my head to see several lights I travel through regularly. I will investigate this product.

BTW, the view out of the smart is about the worst of any vehicle I've owned.
I don't have any problems seeing out the front, but I agree with you on the rest. The high backs of the car seats block all but a small sliver of the rear window and the blind spot is HUGE, especially for such a small car.

BTW, I think the stop light issue really depends on where you're driving. Where I live, the lights are hung relatively low, but I know that out west, they're hung much higher.

·
Registered
861 Posts
also the fact that the mirror and the rain sensor takes up a square foot of the windshield doen't help..I haven't noticed much probs with the back window but do think the Smart has a gnarly blind spot compared to most cars I have had.

·
Registered
46 Posts
AF6FB - you are so right! I have one of the lightinsights and they work great! I'm 6'3" and it is perfect. I'm showing it to my Smartcenter next week when I'm in for a checkup. I think they should keep a couple laying around and slap it on for test drives & sell it to new owners with same problem. Sheesh, they're only 12.95 + SH so the center could pass it on for $15 and make everybody happy at no cost to themselves.

·
Registered
145 Posts
also the fact that the mirror and the rain sensor takes up a square foot of the windshield doen't help..I haven't noticed much probs with the back window but do think the Smart has a gnarly blind spot compared to most cars I have had.
Exactly! And on downhill right hand turns (think freeway cloverleafs), where I want to look right................there's that mirror/sensor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm 6 ft tall with long legs and sit with the seat all the way back, and I have the same problem with viewing overhead traffic signals.. Plus, I believe the demo cars on the tour had more leg room than my 451.

·
Registered
168 Posts
easier said than done, there are some city intersections that have cars parked on either side of them, if you are pulling forward to check for pedestrians in crosswalks or cars pulling out from behind delivery trucks, it doesn't allow that luxury

1 - 20 of 67 Posts