Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next months Car and Driver. They just did a review of the current EV's you can buy, or lease. The Chevy Spark, came out in first place, of all the EV's. The smart car last place. Its seems that smart has had the lead on EV's since the beginning. Pick up a copy of the magazine, and read the article.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'll go check it out this weekend. I'm sure their criteria are different than mine.

The Smart probably lost points for having two seats.

I would say the Spark negatives in my mind:
  • Made by Daewoo
  • Wrong wheel drive
  • No sunroof / Pano roof.
  • Too big
  • Looks like a characture of a car, the headlights are out of proportion.
  • Quite a bit more expensive to lease.
  • Available only to residents of Oregon and California
I do like the dashboard, nav, infotainment system, standard cruise control, adjustable steering wheel. I would love that much HP and torque, but I doubt the Smart could handle that much without significant upgrades to the brakes, suspension and tires.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They really didn't care for the handling of the smart EV. Really bizarre The steering was slow, nearly impossible, to take a clean line though a corner. Short coming, on EV's limited EV energy information. Rudimentary gauge information. They mention where the other EV's showed though there navigation where to find charging stations. smart only showed gas stations. They claim MB, didn't bother to change that. It wasn't the slowest of the group.

They were really mean to all the EV's reviews.

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
wow last really.....

Im good with that.....no problems...rock solid, consistent performance

lowest priced EV

Smiles on your face when driving

Basic controls....you dont need all that other garbage when driving
Just drive and have fun...

I have driven all the others...The Smart has its place....

The Spark is a disaster...yes its fast and has allot of Torque....
But is hideous...the dash is nothing compared to the Volt...
but too much going on....

Go look at the Spark Forums.....they are not selling..so keep buying up all the car reviews to try and sell them....

PS.....Smart ED goes live across the country real soon

It does need Bluetooth standard and DC fast charging like they have in Europe

But every car has a wish list

·
Registered
832 Posts
My impression from this magazine (and most other automotive papers) is that they have an entirely different set of priorities than most of us smart drivers. It's not a surprise that a publication that tests cars on racetracks and focuses on power/weight ratios and 0-60 times doesn't get excited about the smart.

And that even though our power/weight ratio isn't that bad!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Spark #1 ?

Chevy obviously paid them to rank their failure of an EV #1 to try and generate some measly sales.

The smart is truly the most underrated EV on the market.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Eh, they have their opinions, I have mine. Nothing surprises me at this point. They want a car with a back seat. And they want to powerslide longer cars into turns, no matter the fact that pedestrians in the way will prevent all that from happening.

They no like the smart car handling? While other cars are turnING I've already turnED in my smart cars... :D

·
Registered
963 Posts
Unfortunately the Spark ED is only sold in California and Oregon , and only then in select markets . I saw one at Disney world and it's an incredible car . Chevy is on roll with their great small cars , can't wait till they bring it to my state to add to the collection .

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thanks for posting this!

Just as I though, most categories scored are entirely subjective, and it's heavily biased by having lots of categories for fringe items like "amenities" (really?). I'm surprised there wasn't a line for "number of cupholders"! Scoring rear-seat space for a two-seater is just dumb.

Nothing for availability or value for money.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GM been in the EV game a long time. I remember seeing this 66 Corvair, at a World Fair.:)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Is this road test data or the Super Bowl score sheet ? Holy cow it's a complete rout , these Sparks are amazing cars . I hope Chevy decides to mass sell them , it won't replace my gas version but a nice addition to it . Kudos to GM for finally bringing world class mini cars to the states , I hope other car manufacturers will follow their lead .

·
Registered
462 Posts
I find that every single auto review never cares about price, which is one of the better aspects of a smart. One of the lowest cost of ownerships out there for leasers or on those buying the bare-bones models (you know, what you would want for commuting at low cost). The smart EV blows all the rest out of the water on cost if you're not buying the convertible, which is kind of the point so that your EV actually saves money over a gas car in the end.

The handling part boggles my mind o_o

1 - 19 of 19 Posts