Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 smart car that I shipped it to a Caribbean Island. After it has been on the island for less than 4 months it has now started to miss and hesitate. One time it wouldn't even keep idling..... the weird thing is the check engine light has still NOT come on. (1 month ago I put some injector cleaner in the gas)

What do I check if the check engine light doesn't come on, but it still has NO power , and hesitates going up small hills?

·
Super Moderator
17,777 Posts
I would change the spark plugs and possibly even the coils. Sometimes these cars will develop a miss, but unless that miss triggers a cylinder shutdown you won't get a CEL from it.

My car went through worse than this with similar symptoms, so I think your issue can be resolved quickly and hopefully cheap!

Also, that revving when you're in Park is normal, that's the computer preventing engine damage. :)

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Check simple things first.

when water gets in the gasoline or when the gas gets stale. You can also run into problems if you add the wrong gas (like diesel in an unleaded only vehicle). Bad gasoline is low in octane, which can prevent it from igniting and can cause your car to run poorly or not start at all.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Sounds like you have Bad gas. Have the tank drained. Refill it at another gas station. 91 octane.

If you had a engine check light. The vehicle would be in its limp mode. Take the car to a auto supply store. See if you have a malfunction codes.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I have a 2010 smart car that I shipped it to a Caribbean Island. After it has been on the island for less than 4 months it has now started to miss and hesitate. One time it wouldn't even keep idling..... the weird thing is the check engine light has still NOT come on. (1 month ago I put some injector cleaner in the gas)
Now when it does idle and I'm in park...I step on the gas and it only rev's up to 3500rpm...is that normal?
and what do I check if the check engine light doesn't come on and it still has no power , and hesitates going up small hills?
It is normal for MB vehicles including smarts, to prevent excessive revving while idling and in park. I don't see why anybody would want to rev the engine that hard while sitting anyway. The missing and hesitating could be tuneup issues you can look into. I am not fearful that you are having major issues or issues that can't be resolved with typical vehicle diagnostic procedures.

·
Super Moderator
17,777 Posts
How long ago did it start doing this?

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
hate to say this but you could still have a code that won't show up on a generic scanner. There are some codes that will only show up on the MB Starr system. I would go with the spark plug and coil change, and maybe take a compression test while the plugs are out.

There have been a few cases where there was a head problem on cars with low mileage, hopefully this isn't one of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it started to happen 10 days ago...I took it to a "island" mechanic and he said it didnt have any error codes... so he pulled a plug..which was in good shape.... and gave it back to me..it ran good 1 day and then the next day it would start but then turn off. (still no error code) I called the mechanic again and he picked it and limped it back to his shop coughing and sputtering all the way.

So now he's draining the fuel and I'm here looking for suggestions on what else to do... I'm stuck on a Caribbean island and experienced mechanics are next to IMPOSSIBLE to find

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
need to check all 3 plugs. If one cylinder goes bad, you lose 1/3 of you motor. I would check compression so you know the cylinder, piston, rings and valves are OK.if compression is lower on one cylinder, you have your problem. changing plugs and coils won't fix a low cylinder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts