Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 451 passion. From a stop the car wants to jerk forward as soon as the brake pedal is released. It will do it in drive mode, reverse, and in manual mode. Once it jerks a couple times the ABS light comes on and from then on the car drives smoothly from then on. After starting the car the next day the ABS light is out. I start driving and bam car starts lurching from a stop then the ABS light comes on and no more lurching. Most times my ABS light is on when I first start the car and I have no issues. When the lihht goes out the lurching begins but only in first gear from a stop. Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would scan your ABS module to look for codes. I would suspect clutch actuator but if the car drives smoothly with the ABS light on, I would look first at the ABS system. You might also try removing the abs fuse which I believe is Fuse #11 & see if that resets the abs module.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Definitely sounds like motor mounts.

Mine was doing the same and they were completely torn. I replaced with rubber ones again up top (oem) and its starting to slowly do it again. Since I've done all the bolt ons aside from a turbo, I think maybe the added power is tearing them?

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
394 Posts
Try doing a "Throttle Body Reset".

Insert key and just turn it to position 1 so the dashboard lights up but don't start the engine.
  1. Press and hold the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor (including kickdown).
  2. Continue holding the pedal down for a full 5 seconds and turn the key back to 0 (off).
  3. Now release the accelerator pedal.
  4. Wait a minute or so (I let all the dash lights go out and then some) before starting your car.
  5. It should now be able to go gently into reverse or drive and do this at a quiet idle (and no bang!)
Please post if this does or does not work! Thanks:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try doing a "Throttle Body Reset".

Insert key and just turn it to position 1 so the dashboard lights up but don't start the engine.
  1. Press and hold the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor (including kickdown).
  2. Continue holding the pedal down for a full 5 seconds and turn the key back to 0 (off).
  3. Now release the accelerator pedal.
  4. Wait a minute or so (I let all the dash lights go out and then some) before starting your car.
  5. It should now be able to go gently into reverse or drive and do this at a quiet idle (and no bang!)
Please post if this does or does not work! Thanks:)
Hm, I would never think of that reset to fix it as seems like a hardware issue. I'll give it a try today and let ya know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Did your gearbox settle down? I was set for a 3 hour drive from NYC to Upstate NY. Car was prime and in a running sweet spot. I drove it around the block to pull in front of my house... playing around with my Neighbor in his Dodge, I over-reved 2nd gear and the dreaded "clutch dumping Bang" appeared. I was So mad with myself. I was too impatient to reset it before leaving. Fortunately once on the highway its a non stop 3 hr drive. I finally got the reset to take half way back at a stop for gas. Though still no back in the sweet spot, no more bang.
This fall will be dedicated to that issue for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did your gearbox settle down? I was set for a 3 hour drive from NYC to Upstate NY. Car was prime and in a running sweet spot. I drove it around the block to pull in front of my house... playing around with my Neighbor in his Dodge, I over-reved 2nd gear and the dreaded "clutch dumping Bang" appeared. I was So mad with myself. I was too impatient to reset it before leaving. Fortunately once on the highway its a non stop 3 hr drive. I finally got the reset to take half way back at a stop for gas. Though still no back in the sweet spot, no more bang.
This fall will be dedicated to that issue for me.
Mine only jerks forward from a stop. I let off the brake and it lurches forward before giving it gas. When my ABS light and ESP light comes on and stays on it doesn't do it. So I'm wondering if anybody knows of a sensor or something that's causing it. Most people think it's creep mode but im not in traffic when it happens. It does it under normal driving and it will do it when I put it in reverse also and lurches backwards. It doesn't do it everytime mainly when the engine is cold or when I've driven a while. But for some reason as long as my ABS light is on it runs perfectly.

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Give it a little gas, as soon as you let your foot off the brake. Sound like the nature of a manual transmission.

Hook up a code reader. Shoot a video of the issue. If you can, would be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
This is one of those yes is the answer to everything said until the issue is resolved. Creep mode aka Hill Assist is involved by default but not the cause. Creep Mode aka Hill Assist is disabled when the ESP and ABS lights come on steady. Ok so Creep Mode aka Hill Assist is working and not an issue. Move on to ESP ABS warning lights that are in all likely hood caused by a defective Reluctor Ring on one or both of the rear axles. If the Reluctor Ring is cracked, heavily corroded or just not being read by the speed sensor the ESP / ABS will disable. That is an issue to decide when, if, and how to fix, all up to you as it will allow you to continue to driver the vehicle and as in my opinion I really enjoyed driving the car more with the ESP/ ABS disabled. I did have the driver side rear axle replaced to resolve the issue but only after a conscious choice to drive My car from NY to California and back with the ESP/ABS disable just because I liked the way it drove better. OK so that is the most likely scenario for the ABS ESP light issue. The Lurching forward with a bang "for me" is always a result of an hard lunch in 1st to 2nd gear and or 2nd to 3rd gear. Once I do that the clutch releasing software for the gear box adjust and dumps the clutch causing that bang and lurch when stopped and lifting of the brake. I use the transmission relearn process with about 75 percent success on the first two tries. Or over time the clutch releasing software readjust to my regular driving habits (reported as the pattern of the last 40 shifts). OK this relearn issue is its own issue although connected to the other two because the Creep Mode aka Hill Assist react to the clutch dump software but are disabled when the ESP ABS lights are steady.
Summary;
Creep Mode aka Hill Assist are working normal.
A Reluctor Ring defect on one or both rear axles is probable.
A Transmission relearn or conscious soft driving on 1st to second and second to 3rd shifts for a few days and the software will then adjust to the last 40 softer shifts.

The software is MB based the reset for the Smart 451 is the same described in the video, although some say 5, 10, 15 or 25 seconds to hold down pedal. I personally use 5 or 10 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
29,396 Posts
Somebody needs to kill that video for smart owners. Posted below the video is "5 speed 722.6 and 7 speed 722.9 transmissions." Those are M-B automatic transmissions - neither are in our smarts. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts