Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I purged the tank and filled it back with diesel and nothing is working still.. I'm giving up and going to send it to the dealership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
as I stated earlier,
drain the tank, then PURGE THE LINE BEFORE AND AFTER THE FILTER, CHANGE THE FILTER, this is very important!! then purge the lines to the rack and injectors, until clear diesel comes out.

rule of thumb, tank to injectors PURGE ALL and change the filter!! BTW I will make a guess as to the dealer LABOR charge not including tow,
4 hours at their rate ($75 to $150 per) give or take an hour depending on your location... if they are at it more then 4 hours then they havent a clue to what they are doing. and they may charge a "disposal" fee for the contents of the tank... an expensive lesson.
last summer i had a TDI VW belonging to a friend who had gas in his diesel, dealer charged him $800 , had it for 2 days and a AAA tow which for him free.
the second time it happened a WEEK LATER i did it for him in 2 hours only because i had to find the right filter ...and a large enough container for the tank contents.. i found a DIESEL ONLY sticker in very large letters which i gave him for his birthday which is now on his car just above the fuel door. the contents we used on a large brush/ stump burn and practice for the local fire dept.
good luck! steveg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
alright so we finally found the problem :) the alternator was seized. the belt was so tight that since the alternator pulley was stuck it would stop the crank from turning. the mechanic at the garage that specializes in smarts said he never saw that before ever. so for any of you that this might have the same symptoms check the alternator ! thanks for all the help

·
Registered
493 Posts
well that mystery is solved, glad you found it.. its difficult without BEING there to diagnose the Root cause.
steveg.
05 450 cabrio S.MANN

21 - 27 of 27 Posts