Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

Something weird happened a couple of days ago that I've never expereinced before. I have a 2009 fortwo Pure with 42,000 miles on it.

I was driving at about 45 miles an hour when all of a sudden my radio and air conditioner quit/turned off like it lost power... and then I realized that the whole car had turned off/engine quit. It was like somebody had just turned the car off, removed the keys. The odometer, dash lights still worked. I lost acceleration but was able to brake and turn into a local park. I was still in drive and couldn't shift it into park.

I turned the car off (it was still in the on position), and started it back up. The car started right up, and was able to move the shifter into park and then back into drive.

Haven't had any other problems, but am wondering if this has happened to any of you or if any of you might have some idea as to what caused this. I checked my battery terminals, everything is connected well.

Thansk!

Josh

·
17,384 Posts
Do you have a lot of stuff on your key rings? Sometimes they can heavy enough to cause the key to turn enough to shut down the car.

Heck, sometimes one could even accidentally bump the key and shut down the car!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a lot of stuff on your key rings? Sometimes they can heavy enough to cause the key to turn enough to shut down the car.

Heck, sometimes one could even accidentally bump the key and shut down the car!
That's what I first thought, but the key was still in the drive/on position.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Mine did something similar in the parking lot where I live. I had just started the car in the morning and started out of the parking lot, then let off the throttle approaching a stop sign. It just cut off without warning. I said, "What the.....???" :confused:

I got no reply. Some of the instrument cluster indicators were not on and there was no gear indication. I turned the key off, then restarted and it was completely normal. It had never happened before and has never happened again.

I am blaming sunspots. :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have an 09 pure and mine did the same thing one day when it had low miles, then it started and never did it again. I also have bumped the key and shut it off that way. Maybe it will not do it agian, give it time and see.

·
17,384 Posts
That's what I first thought, but the key was still in the drive/on position.
All that needs to happen is a bump slight enough to end the "drive/on position" connection of the ignition to shut off the engine. The key may actually return to its former position once you stop.

Reduce the number of keys, keychains, and other things hanging off the key and the problem shouldn't return. :)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
All that needs to happen is a bump slight enough to end the "drive/on position" connection of the ignition to shut off the engine. The key may actually return to its former position once you stop.

Reduce the number of keys, keychains, and other things hanging off the key and the problem shouldn't return. :)

Is this reduced enough?

Attachments

·
17,384 Posts
Push button start?!?!?!

Where can I get one?

"Shut up and take my money!"

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Push button start?!?!?!

Where can I get one?

"Shut up and take my money!"
Not a push button, just an aluminum knob on the key. Twist and go. I leave it in the car. 450's remote fob doesn't have to be close to the car for it to run. Evilution sells them for 450's and 452's. I made mine. :D

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Just bumping the key the right way is good enough. It's happened to me once on the interstate. Key was still in the run position and the whole car shut down like it had been turned off, but I was still going 65 mph. It's never happened since and I'm careful with the key.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks,

Something weird happened a couple of days ago that I've never expereinced before. I have a 2009 fortwo Pure with 42,000 miles on it.

I was driving at about 45 miles an hour when all of a sudden my radio and air conditioner quit/turned off like it lost power... and then I realized that the whole car had turned off/engine quit. It was like somebody had just turned the car off, removed the keys. The odometer, dash lights still worked. I lost acceleration but was able to brake and turn into a local park. I was still in drive and couldn't shift it into park.

I turned the car off (it was still in the on position), and started it back up. The car started right up, and was able to move the shifter into park and then back into drive.

Haven't had any other problems, but am wondering if this has happened to any of you or if any of you might have some idea as to what caused this. I checked my battery terminals, everything is connected well.

Thansk!

Josh
Mine has done it twice now. The first time someone could have bumped the key. Last night it did it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts